EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So I heard something somewhere about Daybreak possibly making an EQ3? Anyone hear anything about that? I've been out of the loop.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only EQ3 we'll ever see is a mobile game with extremely aggressive monetization.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Games devouring welfare, government assistance checks, and disability checks are a burgeoning industry. The modern EQ populace is primed.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I heard something somewhere about Daybreak possibly making an EQ3? Anyone hear anything about that? I've been out of the loop.

They are but it's really hush hush after the fiasco of EQN.

Word is Steve Clover is involved in some capacity.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Considering Steve is now a Bible translator, currently working in New Guinea, that would be a neat trick.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Was SOE staffed by extras from an Indiana Jones movie or something?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

EQ3 is being developed in the sewers of Qeynos its super secret leet beta infos though. Don't tell anyone.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Technically it would be EQ8 with as many times as the next EQ has been cancelled.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Considering Steve is now a Bible translator, currently working in New Guinea, that would be a neat trick.

Always wondered what the deal is with Bible translation. There are dozens of widely accepted English translations, the full text has been translated to 600+ languages, and the New Testament to over 1400 languages. How many frickin translations do you need?

Bible translations - Wikipedia

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Always wondered what the deal is with Bible translation. There are dozens of widely accepted English translations, the full text has been translated to 600+ languages, and the New Testament to over 1400 languages. How many frickin translations do you need?

Bible translations - Wikipedia
Gotta make that book say it hates mexicans, free healthcare, and librul skum. Duh

Hadden

Trakanon Raider

Thanks for posting these! These are really interesting docs, though the dynamic terrain components were obviously a huge hurdle they were never able to overcome.

If they stayed on course with their sandbox world, minus all the voxel-tech, they would have definitely gotten farther in this unique vision. They spent years of development focusing solely on voxel-tech, instead of just using and expanding the Planetside 2 engine to make a neat sandbox fantasy world. :/

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Technically it would be EQ8 with as many times as the next EQ has been cancelled.

It was never cancelled until the final nail.. It was scrapped and restarted multiple times but never cancelled.. It was around 2010 when Rich Waters and I were discussing the initial ideas behind the basic systems.. I thought we were onto something new and innovative like management had asked for in an EQ world.. But when Rich presented the ideas to "management", they replied "That's not EQ!", and almost at the same time a company offered Rich his own studio to run, and he bailed out (smartly)..

The successive reboots to things were incredibly disheartening.. The rumors and lunch discussions from friends on the team didn't help. Then the team went full "black box" mode, even to the rest of the company. When the Creative Director & Ponytail took the entire dev team to MineCon in Vegas.. we were pissed. EQ and EQ2 were making money, but all of that was being funneled to EQ and we could barely get table scraps to improve our games. When they announced the new lead designer, someone who'd never worked on a successful game in his entire career and gave him the keys to the key franchise in the company, we all got worried. When those of us outside the team got our hands on the first combat 'demo', we were shocked, and very very disappointed. I gave up caring about EQN at that point.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users