EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I remember getting some flak on the old board for saying ponytail seemed like a slimy used care salesman fuck. Also got hate for calling Brad a fraud. Some people can't face it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not to be a dick, Blackwulf, but fuck you and fuck TESO.

Getting this thread back on track I think it's important we see how far this game has truly come.

Old, disgusting, gross EQN Freeport:
eqn-2010-1.jpg

When everything came together and it took that stunning, and so worth it turn to voxels:
021.jpg

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
WTT all shitfest MMOs already released and the ones still to come for EQ Remastered. Booze, those hit me in the feels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Have to admit, I'm still a huge believer in the whole StoryBricks thing, and I'd kill to see another MMO with a budget take a swing at it (and actually release). Hell, if Daybreak came out a couple years from now and announced they're having another go at EQ3, dumping the voxels, and going all-in on the AI, I'd probably be back on board. Fuck.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah it's almost as if they could give people what they ask for they would make money.. To bad that dogshit company owns the rights to the game now.

• 1Like

tkon

Trakanon Raider
Booze, where did you get those pics from friend? I've some how never came across them before.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Booze, where did you get those pics from friend? I've some how never came across them before.

American Inventor I made that shit in MS Paint like 5 minutes ago.
iconimadethis.png

But really, I remember seeing this years ago I am not sure where they came from. Leadass guess might be right. It was someone who was a fan of the game showing what could be done years ago. I bet someone could use the unity engine to pump out a remastered EQ faster than Brad could fire you in a parking lot.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly, enough time has passed that they could do this. Take the original game, re-do all the art assets, keep all the original game play elements and release it.
You've seen the current EQ "art" team's work, right?

Re-doing twenty year old hideous graphics would just be a challenge for them to make the graphics even worse.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Have to admit, I'm still a huge believer in the whole StoryBricks thing, and I'd kill to see another MMO with a budget take a swing at it (and actually release). Hell, if Daybreak came out a couple years from now and announced they're having another go at EQ3, dumping the voxels, and going all-in on the AI, I'd probably be back on board. Fuck.

You do know Storybricks was a fraud right? They could not do any of the things they said they could do and they actually were fishing for Sony to buy them out. Once they realized Sony was looking to sell themselves they folded the company and moved on without producing a single proof of concept.

Storybricks scammed Sony and then when they realized no money was to be made they vanished.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The company "Storybricks" bombed. But the concept is one I believe in. The name "storybricks" is a good one and generic enough that I'd be fine with people using to describe that kind of modular interactivity.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You've seen the current EQ "art" team's work, right?

Re-doing twenty year old hideous graphics would just be a challenge for them to make the graphics even worse.
aww its not that bad. this was my SK twink from a few years ago.
Y4XZYfu.jpg

granted the animations are still bad, but it looks aight to me.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
You do know Storybricks was a fraud right? They could not do any of the things they said they could do and they actually were fishing for Sony to buy them out. Once they realized Sony was looking to sell themselves they folded the company and moved on without producing a single proof of concept.

Storybricks scammed Sony and then when they realized no money was to be made they vanished.
Yeah probably true, but the concept has legs, and if someone could actually pull off what they were pitching, I think the result would be something really good—maybe even revolutionary.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember understanding that Storybricks was supposed to work something like:
1. Player_01 does thing A.
2. Player_01 does thing B.
3. Magic happens and all NPC are now controlled by Skynet.
4. NPC interprets Player_01's actions A and B and synthesizes a novel intelligent response that wasn't in any way shape or form designed in advance by the game developers.
5. Player_02 through Player_1000 all do action A, and usually B, and sometimes C, or D.
6. NPC interprets all of these actions and synthesizes 1000+ new and unique intelligent responses on the fly that weren't in any way shape or form exactly the same response as step 4.

I may be a little bit off on the details, it has been a couple years after all. I'm pretty sure about step 3 though. That one was clearly the part that made people think that Storybricks was capable of doing anything at all that wasn't also possible without Storybricks.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Landmark was fun enough as a building game until they added upkeep. That was the death knell for me. It was also about the same time they added their combat system. They got way off track with this game. I just wanted a building game. Some simple combat like Minecraft would have been acceptable. They took everything too far and did a shitty job because of it. If they just gave us freedom to build and they focused their efforts on the building game it could have been a real home run.

There were a lot of "tricks" with voxels that took a lot of time. They could have implemented tools to shortcut it. Instead they embraced it as a "skill" to learn but this really hindered a lot of creativity since a majority of people weren't going to have the patience or know how to do the tricks.

I didn't even care about EQ Next. MMORPGs are done for me. I was most interested in the Minecraft game and they totally blew it.

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
WTB EQ Remastered.

HK-Interior_zpsnrpixijw.jpg

WestFreeport_zps0kimerot.jpg

Highkeep-Render_zpsz7z0dasc.jpg

Erudin-Fountain_sm_zpsfe0icfxz.jpg

Was just saying in guild chat how awesome this would be. I would be perfectly fine with a complete rehash with updated graphics and a more meaningful cohesion between zones/etc.