EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I remember understanding that Storybricks was supposed to work something like:
4. NPC interprets Player_01's actions A and B and synthesizes a novel intelligent response that wasn't in any way shape or form designed in advance by the game developers.
The way I saw Storybricks initially was basically a lot of words to describe basically The Sims. Each NPC would have a list of "needs bars" which would fill or empty, based on actions by the NPC or the players, and a "personality" which basically told it how fast/slow the bars could fill based on actions, and at what priority it would change his current tasks. With factions % to further modify stuff (I'm hungry, but my faction with Ma Bell is low, not going to go lunch there, that innkeeper though has my faction).

The video of that Neriak courtyard with those DE going back and forth on their stuff was immediately recognizable as a simplified Sims version.

It tends to work if you spend enough time around the "sims" to find out how their random % express themselves. The guy with a % bonus to "need rest" bar filling and a % malus to rest actions is quickly identified as a lazy ass, even though the designers never scripted him as a lazy ass, it's just that the random % yield that kind of behaviour (the same with a high % bonus to emptying would be interpreted as a ADHD guy rather than lazy, constantly breaking work, going somewhere sit, then stand and go somewhere else...)

• 1Bullshit
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Storybricks wasn't a need bar, it was an action tree. It was supposed to be an easy way to streamline AI programming. You can watch several Youtube videos still. The main unique thing it was supposed to allow is the AI actually reacting to things without specifically needing to be triggered/talked to/etc. More advanced than a "call for help/assist" aggro system. The AI was supposed to be able to react to other AI, too. It's just a tree with a lot of branches and a UI interface to make it easy to program.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Storybricks wasn't a need bar, it was an action tree.
Decision trees are stupid. They're barely better than fully scripted behavior. In term on content creation, they don't give you any manpower benefit over basic scripting.

No wonder they didn't get purchased. A middleware "The Sims" simulation would be good stuff. A middleware decision tree is meh.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I kept thinking same thing. No idea why it got so much publicity. They were just selling a programmer time-saving AI tool.

kudos

<Banned>
Why the fuck doesn't someone who knows how to use Unity make an updated EQ? I mean you can go one zone at a time. The combat is probably the easiest part nowadays.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Why the fuck doesn't someone who knows how to use Unity make an updated EQ? I mean you can go one zone at a time. The combat is probably the easiest part nowadays.
Ask @tyen how easy it is to "simply" recreate an entire MMO in a new engine. With the exception of art (and possibly animations) you can't just copy/paste bro. You're literally developing a whole new game "inspired" by another game.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i got some more screenies here, eq isnt looking like you guys remember and this is from 2 years ago.
902rVhr.jpg

s9FRljl.jpg

2rMsqpt.jpg

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless things have changed, you couldn't use horses without Luclin models turned on.

That always sucked!

kudos

<Banned>
then its always going to look like 1999 to you.
Nobody is talking about the models. Sure, they can update them so they don't run around like they have hemorrhoids and it would be great. What people really want is an updated WORLD like those pictures.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

You don't know how many times I have tried to get this started but i'm really just a "design" kind of guy but i'm pretty weak in the programming aspect. All the programming I know is extremely dated and I simply don't use it anymore except when I teach Unity classes (I do very basic C# instructions). I wish I could help make a modern EQ classic but I'd probably be useless when it really comes down to it.

Unity has a way of making you feel more powerful than you really are.... I teach Game Design and Design Principles and our students can end up creating some pretty impressive worlds but making it work and interactive in addition to all the items, animations, quests, combat, etc. takes much more than a world designer.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
You don't know how many times I have tried to get this started but i'm really just a "design" kind of guy but i'm pretty weak in the programming aspect. All the programming I know is extremely dated and I simply don't use it anymore except when I teach Unity classes (I do very basic C# instructions). I wish I could help make a modern EQ classic but I'd probably be useless when it really comes down to it.

Unity has a way of making you feel more powerful than you really are.... I teach Game Design and Design Principles and our students can end up creating some pretty impressive worlds but making it work and interactive in addition to all the items, animations, quests, combat, etc. takes much more than a world designer.
You being a game design and design principles teacher is quite the shocking revelation. How much do you reveal to your students about your love of 1999 design principles?

• 1Solidarity