EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everything has its price. The digits may be less than what the owner wants but even the most god awful IPs would be snatched up right away for $100.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Brad would

Honestly, I would be interested to some extent if they would give him all the EQ IP stuff and allow them to take whatever Pantheon is and make it into EQ whatever. EQ in it's current form is actually pretty sad. The more they add to these poor things the further is pushes me into a depression for that poor series.

Side question... the guy who wrote/composed the EQ soundtrack, is he still around? Did he do anything after EQ?

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Honestly, I would be interested to some extent if they would give him all the EQ IP stuff and allow them to take whatever Pantheon is and make it into EQ whatever. EQ in it's current form is actually pretty sad. The more they add to these poor things the further is pushes me into a depression for that poor series.

Side question... the guy who wrote/composed the EQ soundtrack, is he still around? Did he do anything after EQ?

He is still around. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jaybarbeau

I think he is mostly dabbling in music software or something like that.

He used to have a personal website: www.everquestcomposer.com but that is dead now. And so is the link to this "musycal" website. So I guess he is not doing much right now.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Soooooooo... when do servers close?

Does a server's population matter anymore? | Landmark The Game

35 players online across 5 servers haha.
here is an update data:
  • Courage: 4
  • Determination: 9
  • Liberation: 9
  • Rebellion: 7
  • Serenity: 7
(Dec 04, 2016)

I had a good time building in this game the first few months but holy hell did this bomb.
How hard can it be to actually make a new EverQuest game that doesn't suck dick?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never was interested in Landmark, but they fucked themselves on the project when they went from a pure creation game to implementing combat and all other sorts of nonsense. They tried to milk a full "game" out of Landmark and it basically killed any interest the creator types had for it. Typical SOE incompetence to the extreme.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Soooooooo... when do servers close?

Does a server's population matter anymore? | Landmark The Game

35 players online across 5 servers haha.

I had a good time building in this game the first few months but holy hell did this bomb.
How hard can it be to actually make a new EverQuest game that doesn't suck dick?

Wow.. that's amazingly sad. As a company, how do you even stand yourself? If i'm someone like Holly that supposedly loves the game and is a player centric person, I would be looking for somewhere else to go. It would be insulting to be attached to anything EQ at this point.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I never was interested in Landmark, but they fucked themselves on the project when they went from a pure creation game to implementing combat and all other sorts of nonsense. They tried to milk a full "game" out of Landmark and it basically killed any interest the creator types had for it. Typical SOE incompetence to the extreme.
That's when I stopped. The upkeep mechanic & combat both drove me away. I enjoyed free-building but they added too many chores when the game was still in beta. They were trying to make a "game" for some reason. They didn't realize that the "game" was the building part.... They could have added new materials, quests for building tools, default templates to get around the janky-as-fuck Voxel crap just to create a simple geometric shape, or whatever else to support building, instead they added things to hinder building. And combat wasn't good, never was going to be good, so why even add it?

Dev resources wasted on the dumbest shit.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
That's five times more players than I thought. The population is definitely starting to boom.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
When's the beta guyz!1?

Good news, you can get in now! And people. Are. Loving it.

8ubEZnK.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
So the prevailing rumor (with absolutely no sources or confirmation) is that Landmark will close sometime after Xmas and/or before the end of January.

Can any of the FOH "insiders" get the scoop on this?

I know it will only affect like 17 players total, so not a huge story....

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I can completely see this happening. It has to be more expensive to keep staff and technical resources to upkeep landmark than worth it. They should dump all the source code and stuff and let people host servers and make their own game as long as anything Everquest or Landmark branded is not promoted. They could use a little good will to the community. I bet there's creative people out there that would be more than happy to make something out of trash. That's not going to happen though. I'm sure they're trying to bundle everything they can into a sales pitch to someone but who in the world would buy it since no one ever displayed much interested when it left Sony?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I can completely see this happening. It has to be more expensive to keep staff and technical resources to upkeep landmark than worth it. They should dump all the source code and stuff and let people host servers and make their own game as long as anything Everquest or Landmark branded is not promoted. They could use a little good will to the community. I bet there's creative people out there that would be more than happy to make something out of trash. That's not going to happen though. I'm sure they're trying to bundle everything they can into a sales pitch to someone but who in the world would buy it since no one ever displayed much interested when it left Sony?

I'm not an insider but I can pretty much guarantee Landmark has never made SOE or Daybreak a cent.

That game will be a 100% tax write off

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

Actually, you can put that squarely on one guy.. Ponytail. He tried to force a game out of what should have been the tools to create EQ Next. Putting roadblocks and progression in front of the tools was the beginning of the end. He forced what he wanted to play with, despite people telling him otherwise. If you disagreed with him, he'd just yell at you and call you stupid until you just gave up.

SOE used to be an incredible place to work, but people like this just drove away so many talented people. You can only deal with this kind of shit for so long before you throw your hands up and bail out.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I will never understand what empowers these people so much. I guess they feel they are the drug lords of the gaming industry where they know we are hooked on a game or a name of a franchise so the following of the game some how equated to power and popularity in their minds. I cannot think of one thing Ponytail was involved in that didn't receive a lot of skepticism and frustration. Naturally I know nothing of him professionally as Elidroth and others probably can share but being really active in the EQ/EQ2 community for a number of years as many of you are/were know just how pompous and delusional the guy appeared.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
He thought SOEmote was the coolest thing despite everyone telling him how useless it was for our games.