EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I agree, Feldon wrote an interesting piece regarding this debacle.

I have found his site (Eq2wire) very helpful and informative over the years, and would highly recommend.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Regardless to what some people believe or willing to admit (most may not even know today) that Everquest was something really special to the genre. Granted it was much, much smaller in the late 90's so the cultural, industrial impact is a completely animal. However, what EQ did for the industry and the computer gaming world of players at that time was an incredible feat. It's something that will be really special to a lot of people. Again, the numbers are not the impressive today at we were talking out of thousands back in those day instead of millions today.

I say all of this just to preface that SoE, Smed, and especially Georgeson should feel pretty shameful and stupid for what they did to this franchise. It took a lot of ego and ignorance to screw this up but they somehow did it.

Read that article really makes me sad and to think 10's of millions of dollars could have been invested to recreating EQ to some extent or furthering the franchise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ came out when spending hours in chatrooms was a thing. EQ was a chatroom plus a game.

The Minecraft aspect of this was good thinking and story bricks could have been the future. This game could have lead the way.

But poor management soured it to failure - doodads were improperly prioritized and resources were drastically sunk.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I was reading through the comments of the EQ2wire article. There is a guy named Raji that claims to have ran the EQNext junkies website. Is that Draegan or Teljair?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I was reading through the comments of the EQ2wire article. There is a guy named Raji that claims to have ran the EQNext junkies website. Is that Draegan or Teljair?
I saw that as well. /cue mystery theme

I will be the first to admit that I thought the Landmark/EQN approach was genius/brilliant/smart/at least economical in that they would have to build the toolset to build assets for the game, and that in monetizing them, that could provide another way to bring resources to SOE. I totally bought into Georgeson's line, wanting to building to believe in the voxels/storybricks as the next generational evolution of MMOs. I am just sorry not that he failed but that the behind-the-scenes effort was so different than the public story. If Chris Roberts goes down in flames, at least he was really trying to do the things he is talking about; there is a game to be played there. After 3 or 4 failed attempts to get a game off the ground, Landmark isn't quite the same thing.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nah, but you can totally buy his next project, in VIRTUAL REALITY.

It probably even has SOEmote compatibility!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
EQ came out when spending hours in chatrooms was a thing. EQ was a chatroom plus a game.

The Minecraft aspect of this was good thinking and story bricks could have been the future.

Except of course, that Story Bricks simply didn't work. It was a great idea that they could never actually make functional. They presented a great concept, and were trying desperately to get SOE to buy the company based upon a concept. Until they could demonstrate it actually working though, nobody was buying anything, and eventually they left.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and ironically SOE themselves were selling a product based on concepts that weren't even proven to work. did SOE decide to go with the deception marketing strategy before or after they realized Storybricks was tricking them?

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All I remember was people sucking the story bricks guy off when he dropped by to say they tried to buy SOE.

• 2Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it's amazing how much love people on other sites seem to have for ponytail. It's the same general theme, they love his vision and passion as if those traits could somehow make him competent enough to deliver. One of the editors at MassivelyOP basically said people are scapegoating him in one of her posts.....

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's amazing how much love people on other sites seem to have for ponytail. It's the same general theme, they love his vision and passion as if those traits could somehow make him competent enough to deliver. One of the editors at MassivelyOP basically said people are scapegoating him in one of her posts.....

Those are probably the same retards that Soemote was built for.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Except of course, that Story Bricks simply didn't work. It was a great idea that they could never actually make functional. They presented a great concept, and were trying desperately to get SOE to buy the company based upon a concept. Until they could demonstrate it actually working though, nobody was buying anything, and eventually they left.
How far in their aspirations did they actually get? Was the problem with scaling complexity for the number of AIs required or other fundamental issues related to creating the AI states themselves?

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider

I incorrectly refer to storybricks not as a company, but as a modular method for dispensing AI.
A dream of mine is to have a gave made up of keyword abilities that cleanly fit within a nice box. Every character would have an arrangement of these gems, which would explain their power levels, their functions, and their behaviors.
The feeling I get when I hear the word "storybricks" triggers this dream, and thus I like it. I would gladly distance it from the company that tanked it and use a different phrase, but I do not have one.
"Modules" isn't sexy.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
None of this should surprise anyone. A good read to confirm everything we knew none the less. Georgeson has always been a douche since he thought the Velious expansion was actually what brought eq2 financial success.

Dude is an idiot and always will be.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Perhaps if the fields are left fallow for a number of years the overall landscape will have recovered enough that a true new EverQuest can germinate. I certainly have more than a few ideas about how such a thing could go down.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Perhaps if the fields are left fallow for a number of years the overall landscape will have recovered enough that a true new EverQuest can germinate. I certainly have more than a few ideas about how such a thing could go down.

If the fields are left fallow for too long, I'll be in a home, grabbing nurse pussy, pissing the bed, and putting my teeth in a glass every night. Of course I'd always be available for raiding, (but I might take unexpected naps alot).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users