EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only people who use emotes are RPers in FFXIV. They were not making a game [and if they were, it wasn't to steal that target audience]

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
He thought SOEmote was the coolest thing despite everyone telling him how useless it was for our games.

To this day the fact that he devoted resources to SOEmote still irritates me to this day. He could have taken the development time of ignorant features and content from his delusional little brain and really did some good in the franchise. There's no reason EQ2 couldn't have been a better game long term than it ended up. Honestly, instead of Landmark, he would have ended up better off releasing a more robust housing and crafting system in EQ2 that would have allow people to just craft and work in houses/guildhalls. I actually had a lot of fun messing with my mansion or house... whatever it was in EQ2 than I did with the game towards the end.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Disappoint. Janky as it was, it was a lot of fun coming up with new building projects. Spent a lot of time on Serenity with a friend, but as said...once they put in the fucking awful combat and shards and all that bullshit, our interest took a nosedive. Really sucked going around a world full of blank abandoned claims...and when you did see a castle/whatever, it looked like a gelatinous pile of voxel goop until you were practically standing ontop of it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To this day the fact that he devoted resources to SOEmote still irritates me to this day. He could have taken the development time of ignorant features and content from his delusional little brain and really did some good in the franchise. There's no reason EQ2 couldn't have been a better game long term than it ended up. Honestly, instead of Landmark, he would have ended up better off releasing a more robust housing and crafting system in EQ2 that would have allow people to just craft and work in houses/guildhalls. I actually had a lot of fun messing with my mansion or house... whatever it was in EQ2 than I did with the game towards the end.

Seems like Ponytail was just playing to his audience with that one. You said it yourself, EQ2 players have always been more interested in extraneous game-play elements like collections, crafting, and housing than they have been with actual gameplay or content. The importance of being able to make funny faces at each other seems right up your alley.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
No.. Ponytail was playing to his own ego. He envisioned himself as a game god that knew everything and could do no wrong. Meetings with him about EQ1 (a game he literally knew nothing about) where he'd tell us everything we were doing wrong with new content and features, despite all of us having played it, and worked on it for over a decade, despite having pages and pages of feedback from our players, despite out earning every other game at SOE, were soul crushing. When he asked us how we made in-game cutscenes in EQ, I literally face-palmed him. I couldn't help it.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I'm not surprised about anything you're saying about him. Although working there and not knowing anything about EQ is crazy, but the real question I have is, did people at SoE call him ponytail too? I fucking hope so

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Seems like Ponytail was just playing to his audience with that one. You said it yourself, EQ2 players have always been more interested in extraneous game-play elements like collections, crafting, and housing than they have been with actual gameplay or content. The importance of being able to make funny faces at each other seems right up your alley.

I wouldn't say EQ2's player base was more interested in those game play elements but it was something we enjoyed and unfortunately, towards the end, it was more fun than the game itself (probably some time shortly after Scott had left). What was frustrating is we saw the game make huge strides only to see it suffer again and even got worse. On top of all of that, instead of addressing important QoL issues, we got stupid features like SoEmote. I can't say that I knew one person that liked any of those choices in development. My only point was they would have probably came out better keeping EQNext stuff to themselves and use their EQ2 housing and tradeskilling instances.

I really would like for Scott to release a "tell all" of his time at EQ.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I got the feeling that Ponytail really didn't like the fact that Scott was heralded as someone who really saved EQ2. He wanted to put his own legacy stamp on it. Again though, he felt like he knew better than everyone else on literally every topic of discussion. Ego like that just kills games IMO. It's fine to be talented and creative, but if you're unable to take input from people, you're destined to fail.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... It's fine to be talented and creative, but if you're unable to take input from people, you're destined to fail.

This is true, regardless of what your field of work is. I am surrounded by this same stubborn ignorance in government work every day.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I got the feeling that Ponytail really didn't like the fact that Scott was heralded as someone who really saved EQ2. He wanted to put his own legacy stamp on it. Again though, he felt like he knew better than everyone else on literally every topic of discussion. Ego like that just kills games IMO. It's fine to be talented and creative, but if you're unable to take input from people, you're destined to fail.

Just as curiosity... did Scott have any major influences on the positive direction EQ2 took during his tenure? Was it directly related to him? Was it just timing? or Did he just allow people do their thing and listen to their suggestions? I never could get a good read on the guy. He seemed fairly legitimate in his concern to make the best game he could and listen to the player base but you never know how much of that is real.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
When Scott took the reigns of EQ2 before he went to Trion, he completely took over. A majority of the changes were under his watch, so whether they were his ideas or he listened to his team doesn't really matter. He had the stones to make the call to make the changes. It's also hugely important to remember that Scott also PLAYS games. A lot of people in upper management don't, and just throw down lightning bolts from Mt Olympus based upon who knows what. Scott's decisions came from a gamer perspective much of the time.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Scott actually helped my group out in game a few times. That was pretty crazy considering I never interacted with someone in his position in game like that.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Scott actually helped my group out in game a few times. That was pretty crazy considering I never interacted with someone in his position in game like that.

That's cool experience. That reminds me of players snapping pic of Brad in EQ. They say he was quite visible in the beginning but I had personally never seen him or other with his title/position.