EQ - The Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Toop was one of the kindest and most awesome players on P99. I still remember when he gave me a ton of items and money to help me level my paladin.
I've also had nothing but positive interactions with Toop and the other staff over on The Sleeper.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
People didn't box 2 chars on live, thats new to me.
People boxed plenty but the ratio of non-boxers to boxers seemed much higher on the live subscribe servers vs. what I've experienced with the free emulators. With the population also being multiples of what it is on an emu, there was no shortage of interdependence on live. Banning multiboxing might be a heavy handed way of promoting community but it is necessary to recreate the social atmosphere of EQ, which was half of the game's charm back in the day.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
It really doesn't. Boxing was fine on Live back in the day. Some people prefer to have social groups. It makes the grind suck less.

I mean, unless you're talking about rangers. Rangers are always obsolete. ~
During classic on live maybe 5% of the people playing hard the hardware capabilities to box if they wanted to.

Just go to EQMac for results of boxing on population, no one groups and almost everyone 3+ boxes. People who join who do not box typically quit quickly.

There's no social dynamic what so ever.

Swagdaddy

Free accounts + boxing = A lot of dumb scenarios.

For someone who has been around eqemu for awhile I'm surprised you don't realize that

supertouch_sl

shitlord
boxing wasn't all that common back in the day. alt-tabbing wasn't possible for the first 2 years and most people didn't have multiple computers. with that said, i don't know why people play on these servers and emulators hoping to capture old eq magic. in eq's heyday, each server had thousands of people on at once.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>

For someone who has been around eqemu for awhile I'm surprised you don't realize that
Oh, I get it, but if you're going to use the statement "but people will be dumb, let's ban x", a lot of things will be banned.

I haven't boxed on EQ since back on Live. It's boring and completely anti-social, and I'd rather be social on a game like this. But, I like to think of it this way: Those that wouldn't want to be social in the first place are the ones more likely to perma box anyway, so in the end, what are we really missing out on?

Swagdaddy

Oh, I get it, but if you're going to use the statement "but people will be dumb, let's ban x", a lot of things will be banned.

I haven't boxed on EQ since back on Live. It's boring and completely anti-social, and I'd rather be social on a game like this. But, I like to think of it this way: Those that wouldn't want to be social in the first place are the ones more likely to perma box anyway, so in the end, what are we really missing out on?
i feel the same way but most dont, go to eqmac you will see lol

Jhoanna_sl

shitlord
This game is greatly improved by being able to two box because it adds a lot to self-reliance and autonomy. Since the population isn't yet the size of a live server, normal things like ports, CRs and rezzes are all greatly helped by the ability to two box. But you still need the social interaction, because you still need to find other players for a max group. And zerging will still require large amounts of people.

Jhoanna_sl

shitlord
Im saying zerging will still require large sums of people. Its not like four people can pilot 15 characters on this server. And there are still limitations to boxing-- no one will ever be able to effectively box with a bard and another active character. You can only divide your attention so many ways, especially when raiding. Breaking into fear while relying heavily on two boxing sounds like a nightmare.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Breaking into fear while relying heavily on two boxing sounds like a nightmare.
It's fun, actually. Then again, I find Fear breaks fun all the time. I'm weird like that.

Anyway, your point about boxing is certainly valid if people follow the rules. I hope people follow them, but like Swagdaddy was saying (and I agree with him), if everyone boxes, it'll create a lifelessness that just saps the server of all its social interaction. Hopefully, most people won't box... but, as one of my favourite TV shows stated, all of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Jhoanna_sl

shitlord
Boxing is always just an option, and I only do it when I need too; when there is enough people to accomplish a certain goal available, there's not really much of a point to bothering with another box. And the rules will be followed because they are strictly enforced. Once when I played at my friends house, we had three toons online from the same IP and we were scoped out by the GMs. I was really happy about it-- I love to see fair and consistent rules enforcement in a game.

Scarhand

Trakanon Raider
I used to 2 or 3 box my roomies characters from time to time back in the day (we had all ours comps set up in the same room) but I was never really into 2 boxing constantly. It always seemed like a lot of work to play things properly. Although the fact that my main, a warrior, was the easiest to fire and forget while boxing might have something to do with why i never fully embraced it. Wasn't as much fun for me playing someone else's character.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im saying zerging will still require large sums of people. Its not like four people can pilot 15 characters on this server. And there are still limitations to boxing-- no one will ever be able to effectively box with a bard and another active character. You can only divide your attention so many ways, especially when raiding. Breaking into fear while relying heavily on two boxing sounds like a nightmare.
You can easily box 6 characters if you know what you are doing. Boxing only becomes detrimental when you reach GoD+ raids that have things like emote DT's etc.

Four people could easily pilot 15chars...

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I'd say at any given time about 25 to 35 percent of our raid force was 2boxed.

^@ViViD_sl

shitlord

During classic on live maybe 5% of the people playing hard the hardware capabilities to box if they wanted to.

Just go to EQMac for results of boxing on population, no one groups and almost everyone 3+ boxes. People who join who do not box typically quit quickly.

There's no social dynamic what so ever.
5% really..... What happens when you give free account on forums to people with 0 intelligence, I can no longer dignify responding to your post.

Swagdaddy

5% really..... What happens when you give free account on forums to people with 0 intelligence, I can no longer dignify responding to your post.
This post makes no sense and free account boxing is stupid, if your server does ever actually launch and attract a population you will quickly realize how exploitable allowing boxing wil be.

Status
Not open for further replies.