EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Which is exactly why the krono lords of current TLP's won't be interested.

Meaning GIF

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Which is exactly why the krono lords of current TLP's won't be interested. There's a reason why people keep doing the same shit over and over and over and over again. They know it inside out. They know how to create money from it. The later expansions? Not so much.

Doing the same shit over and over again is really bad for the Kronolords. The more times people play content, the more people know about certain things and spots. The more people know the less FOMO and the more competition for camps. Really the only good Krono farm left on a Phinny clone is PLing.

We get the OG expansions on repeat because that's where the nostalgia is and nostalgia is what drives TLPs.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's amusing you guys pining for later content refuse to do it on any tlp that naturally progresses to it. The only way you'll play it is if it is forced upon others.

If anyone wanted that shit they would already be playing it. At least on current era servers you'll have mercs to pretend others want any part of it.

Miragul was a bone thrown to you guys, while it might have started a bit later than you like, it just wasn't anyone's cup of tea.

Too much bloat, too foreign. Think i spent like an hour straight learning what aa's to get what all these spells do and the merc tiers that inevitably i didn't have the plat for to not know what the hell im supposed to be doing or where to go. I believe that would be the case for any expacs after pop.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's amusing you guys pining for later content refuse to do it on any tlp that naturally progresses to it. The only way you'll play it is if it is forced upon others.

If anyone wanted that shit they would already be playing it. At least on current era servers you'll have mercs to pretend others want any part of it.

Miragul was a bone thrown to you guys, while it might have started a bit later than you like, it just wasn't anyone's cup of tea.

Too much bloat, too foreign. Think i spent like an hour straight learning what aa's to get what all these spells do and the merc tiers that inevitably i didn't have the plat for to not know what the hell im supposed to be doing or where to go. I believe that would be the case for any expacs after pop.
The problem is when you are thrown into the frying pan without ANY context for 800 new systems, all that shit is information overload and people opt out. When those systems are GRADUALLY introduced to players, they're far more accepting of them. Miragul was just too deep into EQ's timeline and most people were overwhelmed by what to do, where to go, what system did what, etc.

I think that's why TSS is a decent "middle-ground" between "newish/modern" EQ and "nostalgia" EQ. You have some new systems, but not so many that people have no idea wtf to do and instead just quit. At the same time, the game still feels "similar" enough to the PoP+ era, but not dissimilar enough that it feels completely foreign. The issue with TSS is how do you make 1-60ish content in "nostalgia" EQ still relevant so as to not be basically worthless? I don't know that you can, short of randomizing loot within an ENTIRE level/difficulty range, not locked to expansions.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think that's it. Seeing someone link an item and it is like the controls of 747. Shart shards!? Stagger blort +45? Strength 69 (69) (+69)*

I don't even like augments

• 1Faggotry

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

It's amusing that you pretend to know peoples' motivations and why they stop playing when they do.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
The problem is when you are thrown into the frying pan without ANY context for 800 new systems, all that shit is information overload and people opt out. When those systems are GRADUALLY introduced to players, they're far more accepting of them. Miragul was just too deep into EQ's timeline and most people were overwhelmed by what to do, where to go, what system did what, etc.

Yup, case in point, I had a lot of free time during COVID 2020 and got the itch to login my old PoP/GoD era druid. Figured I would play through a bunch of expansions I had missed that (I assume) are mostly soloable now. As soon as I logged in like 800 windows popped up with different shit in them and I just nope'd and logged right out.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Starting at level 1 cures a lot of the "too much going on" issue and is I assume why the tss start appears more appealing than hot+heroic start. I'd probably enjoy it. A lot of people... maybe not.

I think the key is getting to this content naturally but quickly. Selo and combine for example. You need the pre gates game mode for people to feel their way in and discover new friends and maybe god forbid even pug and shit. Any gates+ start means that all relevant high level content is better off with boxes than pugs, if you don't just have a permagroup or clique.

The flipside to this is the entire 70 block is imbalanced to the point of toxic. You can make it through an imbalanced 1-50 or 60 grind that's over in a week or less of heavy play. Almost a year of similarly imbalanced garbage but mostly the other way kills shit. Even selo which was 1 month per unlock saw a ton of casters bounce, then healers, and by the time por hit and the top guild died, the server was like half monks or sks.

Merge don with oow. Merge por with dodh. Lose the extra month for level increase garbage. Half a year from gates unlock to tss is more than enough meleequest.

Alternatively, what I asked for and I know others echoed, do a tss start but level gate it. If its capped at 50 for a month, then 55 for another, etc, you've got at least 3 (arguably 4) before the content is at the fuckpugs fuckrandoms fucknonraidtanks stages yet.

Final note, one thing to consider for tss start is that pets will just absolutely dumpster all others even more than normal for leveling efficiency, while most melee are still awful. Exception is MAYBE rangers 25+ are reasonable vs tss progression content. Even then, not even close to a necro.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's amusing that you pretend to know peoples' motivations and why they stop playing when they do.

The TLP churn, fall off pop #s and miragul are on my side with this with my own anecdotal evidence.

I tried but it's just not eq to me, it feels like everything wrong with luclin is in the later expansions.

Same but different seems to be the magic recipe for EQ. They really should nuke all that shit and start adding content after ldon again like has been mentioned alot in these kinds of threads. Adding more and more stuff on top of all the bloat is just too much. EQ needs a reset and to deflate all the useless shit in it for people to be reinvested in it for long term growth from here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
PoP is too fucking long. The time necessary to hop in really late is a substantial investment before you get to the thing you really want to do. If PoP was shorter it would grind less people down and if it was easier to hop in late you'd get a few more people showing up down the road. I think the first exp jump is Gates of Discord? It's just too late. I'd rather they changed the whole fucking system such that hopping in whenever felt more doable. The 1-60 could easily get better in Velious and then again in PoP.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
The TLP churn, fall off pop #s and miragul are on my side with this with my own anecdotal evidence.

I tried but it's just not eq to me, it feels like everything wrong with luclin is in the later expansions.

Same but different seems to be the magic recipe for EQ. They really should nuke all that shit and start adding content after ldon again like has been mentioned alot in these kinds of threads. Adding more and more stuff on top of all the bloat is just too much. EQ needs a reset and to deflate all the useless shit in it for people to be reinvested in it for long term growth from here.
The last part of this post is where you lose me. As someone who ran through all the expansions on Selo, I do think there's a community that was/is very interested in doing all of 1-115 content. I think that community numbers maybe 200 or so people, 100 or so who stuck it out to do it with my guild. Just not a lot of people interested, most of the TLP player base is playing for Nostalgia, and for most people Nostalgia ends somewhere between Luclin and Omens. Simple as that, nothing will ever change it, people should quit acting like anything can ever change it.

Where I disagree with you is the part about "adding new content" after LDoN. The issue is...who is asking for that reset? Who is asking for that content? I've been a live raider for over a year now, I can assure you absolutely no live players are interested in abandoning live for a watered down "OldEQ+" experience. I can also assure you the same people who bounce out of TLP when their nostalgia ends...will have no interest in what you're talking about.

I would actually wager the half dozen people who consistently say "new TLP content" is a good idea represent a sizable % of the entire population that would be interested in that content.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Theres no way they will nuke 18 years of content so it doesn't really matter, I want to pick up EQ from where I left it when WoW launched but the idea of playing 18 years of mudflation baked into stats/effects/numbers and a lot of bandaids put in place for a dwindling playerbase (mercs and auto granted AAs) when the meat of the game isn't relevant anymore just makes it feel like a waste of time and the current iteration I've learned that I just simply dont like and is too intimidating to force myself to learn, when theres just too much.

There comes a time when a MMO like this has to reign its content in, WoW had to do this and the stat squish and reset with cataclysm helped a little but WoW has its own problems.

I understand they had to push expansions and fill it with shit to keep sales going for those who played it the whole time but this is only going to get worse and for those who actually logged into a non-tlp server with a free to play account know, nobody new to EQ is going to sift through that shit.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Sieger is pretty spot on. On regular TLPs the commitment required to reach live is at minimum 4+ years, and the only TLP alternative to that time table has been Selos so far, which was way too hardcore for your average TLP user. Most people are not going to stick around for 4+ years for various reasons. Some don't manage their burnout, some just get bored, some just get hooked on something else for a few weeks and don't come back, etc.

Keeping people interested in later expansions is tough, but the barriers to coming back into those expansions after being gone for a few is also rough. I think the Mischief rule set removes those barriers of entry a bit as far as gear and quest items are concerned, so we'll see if it's more appealing for new people to come onto the server in later expansions as time goes on.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I usually only want to spend 1 month. Any more and I feel like I'm wasting / ruining my life, as I have no ability to game and do anything else.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
The big issue DPG has is any serious changes of the live game would potentially cost them some of their current live player base, and it has no guarantees to deliver any kind of serious growth, the game is deep into its gray years. Actually the entire Daybreak Games portfolio is made up of still-profitable but non-growth games, maybe EG7 wants to try and deliver some growth with some of that IP, but it would likely take a new game launch to get any kind of meaningful attention from outside of the existing sphere of "former EQ players." There are definitely things they could do better with the live game that would probably give them stronger player retention, I'm not convinced any kind of magic repackaging delivers significant new customer growth to EQ though. I think it's possible you could do something like Runescape did--but they actually released a whole "new" version with its own new client etc to try and capitalize on its glory days. EQ would have to release something like that.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
PoP is too fucking long. The time necessary to hop in really late is a substantial investment before you get to the thing you really want to do. If PoP was shorter it would grind less people down and if it was easier to hop in late you'd get a few more people showing up down the road. I think the first exp jump is Gates of Discord? It's just too late. I'd rather they changed the whole fucking system such that hopping in whenever felt more doable. The 1-60 could easily get better in Velious and then again in PoP.

It's exactly this. People don't just love raiding time for eternity or Agnarr would be packed.

It's normal attrition+bullshit amount of time in pop+ barrier to entry/re-entry rapidly getting to be too much for most people is what does it.

Just looking at it as "TLPs did off after pop it must be because they hate everything else" is a completely simplistic and ignorant take

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And they really don't massively die off overnight like people get hyperbolic about. There's slow attrition every expansion, some more than others. A big drop with a new TLP, sure, but on Mangler, Aradune, and phinigel there were still a lot of guilds clearing content after PoP.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
People blame PoP. But every TLP i've played on most of the people that quit in PoP do so in the first few months rather then the later months.

The truth is in PoP the game starts to become mostly about raiding and if you wanna do the log in for few nights a week to raid there are much better titles to play.