EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
People blame PoP. But every TLP i've played on most of the people that quit in PoP do so in the first few months rather then the later months.

Well of course! That's what we call a pro gamer move. You quit when you're not having that great a time and you know there's three months left and two of those had LDoN bolted on top.

Blaming PoP when PoP is five months total is 100% fair. On Mischief it's four months and that's still too fucking much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Well of course! That's what we call a pro gamer move. You quit when you're not having that great a time and you know there's three months left and two of those had LDoN bolted on top.

It's wild that people can tell you late EQ enthusiasts in Discord/Teamspeak ect exactly why they quit, TLP after TLP for years and you just go with the "nah you're quiting cause PoP is too long line."

People quit for dozens of reasons and PoP being long isn't a big one.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
It's wild that people can tell you late EQ enthusiasts in Discord/Teamspeak ect exactly why they quit, TLP after TLP for years and you just go with the "nah you're quiting cause PoP is too long line."

Yea, it really has nothing at all to do with people being gear/aa capped and stuck in PoP hell for 2 months that cause them to quit logging in...what???

Most people are way too add to stick around for that shit. All it takes is a couple "hmmm i could log in, but why?"s over the course of a week or two and you never see those players again.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

At no point did I say that if someone tells you they quit because of X achtually quit because of Y. That's a weird thing to saddle me with.

Why don't people give more of the post-Planes of Power expansions a try? The opportunity cost is too great. Those eras take too long to get to and showing up later during the life of a TLP front loads you an assfucking ton of work before you can do the thing you wanted to do. There is also a snowbally/incremental aspect to EQ where different classes want to pick up different toys and clicks as they go through the expansions and just hopping in during the last week of PoP you are going to have a tough time getting. On the reverse playing through all of the eras to pick shit up and then still be energetic about That Expansion You Never Make it To is rough.

If I decided today that this time for real for 100% I'm finally going to make it to Dragons of Norrath come hell or high water fuck you on the new TLP there's zero way I can be certain I'm going feel even remotely the same fucking 18 months or whatever after launch. Logging on and making a brand new level character for DoN sounds HORRIBLE though so I'm never getting there unless I buy a character in which case fuck that or borrow someone else's which is also lame. Getting suckered in for a Classic launch and fucking around for a couple weeks is infinitely easier.

• 1Like

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ive only really played 1 TLP and I def quit because of the length of PoP+LDoN. This was on corinav, and it would have taken 6 fucking months to get through. I was actually hoping to do some GoD/OoW+ shit but no fucking way I coulda endured 6 months of that bullshit. We were the #1 guild on the server(RI) and nearly everyone quit during PoP+Ldon

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Ive only really played 1 TLP and I def quit because of the length of PoP+LDoN. This was on corinav, and it would have taken 6 fucking months to get through. I was actually hoping to do some GoD/OoW+ shit but no fucking way I coulda endured 6 months of that bullshit. We were the #1 guild on the server(RI) and nearly everyone quit during PoP+Ldon
This cant be true. It's been stated on ventrilo servers all across the world that the reason people quit are dozens of things but definitely not this.

• 2Worf
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 2 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Yea, it really has nothing at all to do with people being gear/aa capped and stuck in PoP hell for 2 months that cause them to quit logging in...what???

No, PoP length is 1 of a dozen reasons. But a lot of people seem to act like it's the primary reason. Like just making PoP shorter isn't gonna prevent people from quitting. Lack of catch up mechanics, class balance in the expansions post PoP, people not liking the game for various other reasons, guilds falling apart and people quitting instead of joining a new one ect.

Why don't people give more of the post-Planes of Power expansions a try?

A lot of TLP players have given the GoD-TSS expansions a try. A lot of them just don't fucking like them. The only one i like after PoP is OoW, which is my personal favorite.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I have zero objections to revisting class balance in the level 70 era that people far more knowledgable than I agree is fuckarooed. I've heard that from basically every smart person I know and have zero reason to doubt it is true.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have a weird desire to play through the expansions that came after OoW/GoD/quitting for WoW, just to see where that went at an era-appropriate level.

Sterling

El Presidente
The level 70 stretch is much worse than PoP+ LDoN in terms of being way too long, which is really saying something. Meleequest is real. Between that and the general attrition you end up struggling to find main healers and casters since all of them rerolled to a tank, monk, or berserker.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wait everyone's a monk or a tank? Why did no one tell me EverQuest obtained perfection?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I joined Mischief a couple days before POP dropped, so I have been getting caught up. I can tell my guild is starting to shed players, though. POP and flagging is probably a bit much for 3 months, which drives burnout hard. But that said, I can see people actually coming back on Mischief with the FV loot ruleset, since the barrier to catch up isn't as brutal.

If DGB went back and retooled all old gear to have stats in line with defiant (or just let defiant drop from day 1), they could have a quick march TLP doing 1 month per xpac. That would see them caught up to live in under 2 years.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I joined Mischief a couple days before POP dropped, so I have been getting caught up. I can tell my guild is starting to shed players, though. POP and flagging is probably a bit much for 3 months, which drives burnout hard. But that said, I can see people actually coming back on Mischief with the FV loot ruleset, since the barrier to catch up isn't as brutal.

If DGB went back and retooled all old gear to have stats in line with defiant (or just let defiant drop from day 1), they could have a quick march TLP doing 1 month per xpac. That would see them caught up to live in under 2 years.

Selos proved you could do that with just faster exp rates.

Having armor drop off trash in exp zones that are many tiers above bis raid gear really misses the point

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
I'd want to experience god/oow at some point, but I can't bring myself to invest the time to develop a character to play those expansions for a few months and stop.

I finally made a char on Mischief but that's as far as I got.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Defiant gear classic eq would just make melee quest even more pronounced and stupid. In fact, even on a tss start, they should really bench defiant for a couple expansions. It makes group named loot useless and most early raiding a pure waste of time. It only fits if your goal is people cruising on random trash with nobody around, it blows for a server community and economy 70 and below.

Also, let's be fair: a lot of people claim they quit because of x when there are really a few factors, and they also don't address what causes x. God is not really more complicated than ldon, nor is it that much more difficult these days (and nobody says they quit cause eqs hard, anyway). Oow and don aren't more tricky or hard than gates. I've never heard people say they quit dodh over mechanics, even though it adds some hefty ones. Same with sof which adds a ton - in fact I doubt anyone who reaches sof quits in era except for rl shit or the like.

So when people say they quit in god because they're bored and not enjoying the game - why? What made pop and ldon not boring that went away? Imo its often the socializing in easy groups and the cruise control or alt friendly raiding that was lost and killed interest. But people will say its mob names.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Trying to get groups to do the right dungeons for LDON is what ultimately killed EQ for me the first time around. That was just an entire clusterfuck. LoY and LDON were both also extremely small and much less interesting that PoP was. Killing all your gods is kind of a hard act to follow.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Trying to get groups to do the right dungeons for LDON is what ultimately killed EQ for me the first time around. That was just an entire clusterfuck. LoY and LDON were both also extremely small and much less interesting that PoP was. Killing all your gods is kind of a hard act to follow.

Pretty sure the number of people that quit EQ for lore reasons are in the single digits

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
if they want to retain players during pop they need to remove flagging mechanics. or do something like they recently did with luclin shards

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
That's what we call a pro gamer move. You quit when you're not having that great a time and you know there's three months left and two of those had LDoN bolted on top.
I didn't realize how much of a pro I was - I quit on the day PoP launched! lol
(Not because PoP was long - it was the "not having a great time" thing for me)