EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Warriors suck ass in classic and aren't really needed, can tank everything with a Pally or SK. Main reason to play one in classic is to collect all the pre lootable epic drops and get ready to be needed in Kunark.

Kunark warriors get their epics and if you choose the master race you get to main hand pride of the legion and actually have solid aggro. Need at least a couple by now, most stuff dies within 1 or 2 defensives unless you have shite for DPS.

In Velious when you get your BoC switch to whatever race you want (or stay Iksar), people rave about Ogres but never seen any warriors fail at their job for being some other race. Gonna need at least 4 from here on out to have full defensive rotations on long ass fights like AoW/Tunare and Some NToV stuff.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Way less agro, less utility, need more gear, worse pullers. Warriors do slightly more damage and tank slightly better in return. What warriors are better at is by a fairly small margin. What SKs are better at is by a huge margin. I like warriors, but having an effective SK is just a lot easier, which is always a thought in boxed teams.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a warrior out dps a SK outside of DS dmg or some retarded fuckery where the warrior pops his dmg disc and the sk forgets to turn on attack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Necros are overall solo kings IMO.

Shaman are better at taking down the summoning mobs that necro's cant.

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Necro faster, and can handle multiple mobs easily. Shammy slower, but can kill bigger baddies easier.

Necro has uber pet. Shaman gets dogdog.

Necro gets FD. Shaman gets a veritable cornucopia of buffs

Shaman gets Troll, Shaman is clear winner.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Warriors are clearly the best mitigation tank. They get -1 DI which can be pretty huge (not as much in the early eras) and their armor generally has higher AC than other tank classes. Yes, their aggro and utility are worse, but it's not JUST defensive that makes them the best mitigation tank.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a warrior out dps a SK outside of DS dmg or some retarded fuckery where the warrior pops his dmg disc and the sk forgets to turn on attack.
Warriors actually do good damage if they set up for it. Top tier they can both do damage and hold agro. In a more realistic world and FV rules, you’ll have a much easier time doing effective damage as a SK, especially with the good hybrid weapons that will inevitably flood the market.

It’s why I recommend SK.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Warriors get Crit, Duel wield, higher skill caps and sometimes better weapon ratios
SKs get better discs and a mana bar.
You need a lot of FT from gear, AAs and Buffs before it's starts to out preform the skill cap difference on a sustained basis.
Warrior does more sustained DPS in basically all the early expansions.
SK does more burst DPS.

But this is EQ and people only care about burst DPS and nuance is not understood.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
/sits in the corner with the clerics playing stupid ass 20 range mana song while basically doing nothing else.

Xevy

Log Wizard
SKs become God Tanks for grouping and aggro purposes basically by the time 90% of people stop playing a TLP. Warriors are fine, but lean HEAVILY on Defensive. But if you've got a mob that hits hard with a low hp pool, a warrior box can be very helpful. But you can also try to YOLO DPS it with everything your SK's got.

Basically raid with a warrior, group with an SK. Warriors can seriously fuck if they pay attention and gear correctly. SK's are heavily dependent on Unholy and HT to DPS, so you're looking at 36 to 72 minutes. Evenly matched auto attacking a warrior will blow an SK away OoW+.

But no one will play a character that far, so just play an SK for grouping and a warrior for Raid Tanking. That's it.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Whats more fun to play, SK or Ranger?
In classic, both are fairly active and high skill ceiling in groups. Ranger is a sometimes tank though and SK is an always tank, both are often pullers too. It probably comes down to how active you want to be in raids. Rangers will almost never tank in raids so you are pure DPS and you don't really have any buff duties until predator and strength lines get added in velious.

In classic rangers will also be in a taunt rotation in Sky to take DT, which is a required role but not super fun.

Rangers worst expansion is probably kunark where your dps kinda falls off from what it was in classic and you aren't super competitive and you also don't have any of the adps stuff yet to make up for it, its also a class people undervalue until luclin even though a classic raid geared ranger in kunark should be fairly competitive with like a non epic mage in terms of dps and only really way behind monks and anyone who can charm.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Warriors get Crit, Duel wield, higher skill caps and sometimes better weapon ratios
SKs get better discs and a mana bar.
You need a lot of FT from gear, AAs and Buffs before it's starts to out preform the skill cap difference on a sustained basis.
Warrior does more sustained DPS in basically all the early expansions.
SK does more burst DPS.

But this is EQ and people only care about burst DPS and nuance is not understood.
Have you actually ever played everquest on a TLP?

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My experience as a warrior on aradune up to just before velious, I thought playing Warrior would be a lot more interesting than it actually was.

All raid targets should have a little buffer of aggro passed to the warrior anyways, whether it was jboot spam when it worked or a harmtouch on pull and if you're really sweaty you can midnight mallet all your raid targets like those nerds on p99 did. The warrior epic is also not as good as it should be, while the aggro proc is nice, it still doesn't proc enough to carry your aggro without gimmicks.

I played a shadowknight on mangler and without a doubt the shadowknight felt stronger on a solo and grouping level, I could actually do something outside of raids that I couldn't or didn't *want* to do on a warrior.

The one downside you will find with the shadowknight is your grouping experience will be mildly annoying without clarity. The "i need to med" moment sucks when you have a nice flow going.

Which leads me into if you play these classes you WILL be pulling which makes the clarity issue even bigger for an SK and pulling is not for everyone and if the puller is going afk, its just as annoying for the group as the enchanter going afk.

What class I play this time doesnt matter to me as much as finding a group of people that arent going to implode prior to velious launch and not suffer a mass exodus to TBC.

epics.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
tank doing the pulling during xp grinds is kind of wasteful and shitty.
The SK is just there to make sure the mob doesnt kill the cleric before the enchanter pet takes agro.

You are right though, most tanks don't like to tank and pull and some zones it does suck if mob density is on the lower side like in the hole or parts of chardok.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Thinking of maining a bard since that’s the class I’m least familiar with.

Weird question: would a bard/sk duo be worth anything? I know it’s not optimal but I wanted to try something different besides the cookie cutter duos. Not looking to do any weird soloing.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
If you like Epeening on the parse as some SK's like to do in early expacs then a bard box is super handy and low effort, but for duoing xp n stuff you'd be better off with a Shaman.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of maining a bard since that’s the class I’m least familiar with.

Weird question: would a bard/sk duo be worth anything? I know it’s not optimal but I wanted to try something different besides the cookie cutter duos. Not looking to do any weird soloing.
It’s a bizarre duo with low synergy. It’d work I guess, but you might not like sitting around waiting for a healer.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Have you actually ever played everquest on a TLP?
Yes and i've played an SK with TL on Ragefire and topped parses doing so... SKs don't do DPS they do burst when they have a full mana bar, Unholy and HT. It's not until you get Mental Corruption and start stacking FT that you can sustain DPS that's higher then a warriors.

Side note: The upgrade to Mental Corruption Mental Horror was added into the game because of me.