EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Jokes aside rangers are awesome group tanks in early EQ.

I had more fun on my ranger on Agnarr tanking Classic and Kunark groups than I have ever had at lower levels on a real tank class.

You're wearing very similar gear in the ~5 slots you arent wearing identical gear

"free trade"? Besides test server

As much as I would absolutely love test to be free trade, its just a boring standard ruleset server with AOC's and double xp. (and copies, but as it isnt free trade, you have to exploit FV and if your character is already 115 and just wants CoV ores, sorry).

Last edited:

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Pets aren't REALLY viable before sof for the role and mercs aren't until sod and never really all that viable either. You will hear people talk about rangers being ideal tanks for classic leveling. For god+ you use a plate tank if you want to do real baller shit.
Agree with all you said but this. Rangers are they absolute god tier tanks for XP groups in OoW+DoN ect. Rangers who gear properly easily tank all the content but having a Ranger tank over an SK is like adding another DPS to the group.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Casters definitely start going to shit during the late 65 era and it just gets worse at 70 and is just meleequest at that point. It gets a bit better at 75 but doesn't really get good until 80-85.

Yeah, later expansions, especially the TBS/TSS area, seem to be all about melee DPS. It's pretty weird when zerkers and monks are solo-plowing mobs better than a necro can, but I remember stuff like that happening with raid-geared meleers post-65. It's absolutely meleequest by then. Note: Necros do gain parse-dominance later on and I'm not sure how the DoT changes affected the mid-levels (70, 75).

^this. The pace of early EQ was perfect. You could actually chat while you killed stuff.

View attachment 352554

I think there's something to be said for the change of pace as the game goes on. It gets pretty fast and furious after a while, pace is nonstop in later expansions. Early expansions are a relaxing game in comparison.

Garudon is like pop or LDON era. It came with veksar. Ldon raids aren't so bad it's just that the good loot versus time ratio is pretty poor compared to other raid zones.

Putting aside Garudon, I'd like to do some LDON raids when it's all said and done. And VP, and GoD one more time after talking about it here. Let's goooo

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Agree with all you said but this. Rangers are they absolute god tier tanks for XP groups in OoW+DoN ect. Rangers who gear properly easily tank all the content but having a Ranger tank over an SK is like adding another DPS to the group.

For grinding xp sure I agree. For pushing actual group content, ikkinz and mpg trials and some of the hardest missions, I'm not so sure. I could be wrong here and you might be right; I'd still hold to my position that it's a shitty time to be a caster and so way higher percentages of casters quit than melee, and mostly tanks (and for whatever reasons monks) tend to stick around.

Sterling

El Presidente
It would depend some on group composition, Sks can provide a pretty significant mana regen boost as well but on trivial content with lots of melee Ranger would likely be more damage. both would be a lot better damage than a paladin or warrior outside of heavy undead areas for paladins. But as Yerm is saying there comes a point where stuff hits hard enough that you'll want a beefy plate tank for some group stuff.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
For grinding xp sure I agree. For pushing actual group content, ikkinz and mpg trials and some of the hardest missions, I'm not so sure. I could be wrong here and you might be right; I'd still hold to my position that it's a shitty time to be a caster and so way higher percentages of casters quit than melee, and mostly tanks (and for whatever reasons monks) tend to stick around.
I tanked all the things on Phinny as a Ranger. You just have much higher access to Shielding and Avoidance then you should and as a result the gap between Knights and Rangers is very insignificant for tanking, but when it comes to sustained DPS+aDPS it's not even close.

Xerge

<Donor>
It's really not just gear. Early into Gates of Discord they nerfed charm VERY hard within that expansion. A ton of guilds could not actually complete the ikkinz trials afterwards and would literally beg for help from people who had done it. That attitude carried into omens, where they refused (not just forgot, refused) to update ae stuns so that they would phase out on top of hard nerfing charm. Enchanters in god/oow basically ate all the nerfed that the many tlp churners who always quit by then ask for, for their earlier eras. Tons of enchanters bled more than usual bleed because of wow launch and there was a lot of bitching during the latter 70s and 75s expansions about how they needed to make a reason for enchanters because nobody was playing them. On tlps, it happens again on the replays, and enchanters vanish in these eras.

Caster balance is atrocious in the 70s. Non-necros are still pretty bad in the 75s. It's not just on raids either - the entire design of these expansions is laid out so that if you are a random wizard you can no longer feel useful. Soloing c2 tables for xp is just not going to carry you. There isn't really anything for casters to do without joining a group, and groups really don't want casters as much, and the idiots in charge of game design at this point in eq's life (pre-sof) had this boneheaded notion that because casters could solo they shouldn't be as good in groups. It's a bad downward spiral that leads to very few caster mains and almost no caster boxes. Guilds become heavily concentrated. It's super noticeable in DODH where I've heard from every friend I've talked to who made it there, and the couple I was in there, silk rots ASAP. The balance issues aren't fixed until sof and by then it's hard to expect "new" casters to show up.

The tank situation also becomes more and more pronounced in these eras. Pets aren't REALLY viable before sof for the role and mercs aren't until sod and never really all that viable either. You will hear people talk about rangers being ideal tanks for classic leveling. For god+ you use a plate tank if you want to do real baller shit. There aren't good substitutes. Meanwhile, the stuff you kinda need to do becomes more important, so you are both more reliant on tanks and less capable of getting by without doing the shit that needs tanks.

Shame to hear EQ suffers from the same end game issue as other MMOs. I guess FF14's balance is okay, but it is definitely a genre wide issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We'll see how long I stick to it but Mage or Bard will be good here for me.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
TEB is staying on Aradune... but what about the next guild you make?

I studied elf law in school. Can't evade these targeted questions!

Heh I'd say there is a .00001% chance I ever make a guild again on another server. TEB actually was originally supposed to be a 40 man guild when Kubat/Myself/Ehff/Thal decided to quit WoW and make a guild on the new TLP. It only turned in to what it did because like 1k people joined the discord we had made months before release and sent out invites to like 20 people and said invite whoever. If Aradune ever died and I made a guild on another TLP, it would definitely go back to the original 40 man idea.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Heh I'd say there is a .00001% chance I ever make a guild again on another server. TEB actually was originally supposed to be a 40 man guild when Kubat/Myself/Ehff/Thal decided to quit WoW and make a guild on the new TLP. It only turned in to what it did because like 1k people joined the discord we had made months before release and sent out invites to like 20 people and said invite whoever. If Aradune ever died and I made a guild on another TLP, it would definitely go back to the original 40 man idea.

Thanks for taking the time to put these guilds together by the way. Just posting this because it's a thankless job, and takes a ton of work. Makes the server 100x more fun, grinding away to help with the race and contribute!

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Hopefully everything will be broken af and Level 1 snakes drop CoF. Just fun mayhem without rollbacks.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
How could you have possibly spent that much?
Bags, Krono, DBC for potions,etc - bunch of stupid shit. I've got more money than sense most days.

rich.gif

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Oh, and fucking tradeskills - was always my weakness. Had bunch of alts with bags and used Krono for cash to fund them. Hence, why after 2 months my 'main' was only 42.

unnamed.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It's still fucking cheaper than therapy and pretty much the only thing to do at 3am.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_3.13.33_PM.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users