EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean I can go off my memory, and it was that people did go to velks. It regularly had groups. This is pulled from packets from alkabor so it would be accurate as of planes of power: Current ZEMs - The Al`Kabor Project Wiki you can see that velks has a typical xp range for similar dungeons and isn't bad. It got buffed at some point and is now THE xp zone for its range, but it was never bad.

I cared a lot less about whether velks had a good zem or not and more about the whole you shouldn't care about it. You should. Maybe it means you tell your group "this is slow and I'm gonna leave if I get something better" instead of just dumping and afking, but you shouldn't milk awful xp if you don't have to. If you're on a server like selo with a preset group and its race speed xp, yeah, you wanna avoid moving around much and try to just plow whatever's around and not run out of mobs, zem be damned. If you're on a server like mischief and it takes hours per level even under optimal conditions, it's worth taking the time to double your xp rate.
There was a Velks revamp during Velious on live which increased the level of the mobs and turned it into a decent xp zone. Prior to the revamp it was pretty much an AIDS zone, but the revamp happened in Era so people did utilize it quite a lot towards the end of the expansion and people used it during Luclin some.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Ya'll racing to the bottom as quickly as you can eh? Drive this really cool, fun concept into the ground and beat it into a bloody pulp, toss a bomb behind your back and wipe your hands clean of it. One person wins the 15 green dragon scales in a row? Lol, why so averse to making rules for your guilds? Do people have not feel bad whatsoever? This is like removing all regulations from corporations and telling them they can do whatever they want and telling Google, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon to just go for it. Emit all the co2, enslave all the children in the factories, price fix all you want.

But hey, you'll make a lot of krono in the process. Too bad it will damage the game permanently.

yerm yerm I don't know what to tell you, you were probably level 22 at Velious and were a dumb kid. Unike you I was a smart kid :cool: and had two 50+. The minute velious launched I was exploring it. I was one of the first people in Siren's Grotto and I made it to Westwastes before anyone outside of FoH. So I remember leveling in velks, it was shit. I wasn't some newb flicking boogers in gfay and then finally gets to Velks by the time Legacy of Ykesha comes out. That's why you don't remember Velks right.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Ya'll racing to the bottom as quickly as you can eh? Drive this really cool, fun concept into the ground and beat it into a bloody pulp, toss a bomb behind your back and wipe your hands clean of it. One person wins the 15 green dragon scales in a row? Lol, why so averse to making rules for your guilds? Do people have not feel bad whatsoever? This is like removing all regulations from corporations and telling them they can do whatever they want and telling Google, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon to just go for it. Emit all the co2, enslave all the children in the factories, price fix all you want.

But hey, you'll make a lot of krono in the process. Too bad it will damage the game permanently.

yerm yerm I don't know what to tell you, you were probably level 22 at Velious and were a dumb kid. Unike you I was a smart kid :cool: and had two 50+. The minute velious launched I was exploring it. I was one of the first people in Siren's Grotto and I made it to Westwastes before anyone outside of FoH. So I remember leveling in velks, it was shit. I wasn't some newb flicking boogers in gfay and then finally gets to Velks by the time Legacy of Ykesha comes out. That's why you don't remember Velks right.
Wow, much respect. Autograph, please?

Your comment ("Sebilis always had a bad zem imo, not as bad as somewhere like Velks, but pretty bad. ") made it seem like velks was bad XP even now when it hasn't been bad for 19 years or whatever. So argue all you want about how it was back in the day but you should update your knowledge to the present day.

Also, all these people in the guild where most everyone is reselling voluntarily chooses to submit to those guild rules. There are plenty of DKP guilds they could go to instead. Faceless x in virtue is not the entire server.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

As DT says, your initial statement absolutely implied a lot more, as it was up against an "always" in its comparison:
Sebilis always had a bad zem imo, not as bad as somewhere like Velks, but pretty bad.
Every expansion in EQ's history has had stuff that got released and very quickly tweaked right afterwards. Why would you hold the pre-adjustment state as standard? Velks has never had a bad ZEM since early into the very expansion they released it in; nobody gives a fuck if some mentally ill autistic explorer like you managed to dive in before the first set of patches and didn't like it. For the majority of velious and "always" afterwards its ZEM has been fine, if not great.

My main during velious was a druid (on TZ), so I generally didn't xp in places like velks where I could not charm. The allakhazam account carrying that druid's name has probably accomplished more than all your accounts combined. Get off my nuts. I remember you (as Goliath) talking so much fucking shit about your jewelcrafting or whatever on either sleeper or vulak and thinking you were the most annoying poster at that time, bar none. Every set of progression servers you talk a great game about how amazing you are/were and stories about making fortunes or being maxed first or doing stuff with furor on veeshan... nobody cares. In fact, do you even have guild credentials to back your many brags, or have you always been such an antisocial twat that nobody wants to play with you?

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
I didn't realize mischief is so monopolized. Are there just not other guilds moving stuff other than faceless?

Classic and Kunark both have really long leveling periods a lot of the more casual guilds are still more focused on leveling. Very few other guilds have done any significant amount of raiding. Combine that with the fact people haven't gotten used to the ruleset. The servers not even 2 weeks into Kunark and there is like 20 PD robes on the server, people are gonna realize in the next few weeks how backwards their prices are. Basically the only item that should be fetching over 10kr is Mana Robe and a lot of the VP loot should be less valuable then many of the Kunark Archeologist items.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Wow, much respect. Autograph, please?

Your comment ("Sebilis always had a bad zem imo, not as bad as somewhere like Velks, but pretty bad. ") made it seem like velks was bad XP even now when it hasn't been bad for 19 years or whatever. So argue all you want about how it was back in the day but you should update your knowledge to the present day.

Also, all these people in the guild where most everyone is reselling voluntarily chooses to submit to those guild rules. There are plenty of DKP guilds they could go to instead. Faceless x in virtue is not the entire server.
Badly worded for sure. I did mean back in the day. Haven't exp'd in either of them in ages. I should have said it sucked dick for at least the first stretch of velious.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I was definitely a retarded kid back when Velious came out, everyone seemed to avoid doing shit in Velks. Even people leveling still leveled in Seb or KC most of the time. I cleared the place a handful of times with my guild on Bertoxxulous (Prophecy). I attributed a large part of the no fucks given attitude about that due to already being level 60, with an epic, and excellent items when Velious came out. Pretty much the whole guild didn't really give a fuck it was just looking for where the good items came from and pursuing them. Because of this I played way less during Velious than I did during Kunark.

A shaman in my guild was able to solo the dragons in WW quite early. As a cleric I was always jealous of that.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
While I was definitely a retarded kid back when Velious came out, everyone seemed to avoid doing shit in Velks. Even people leveling still leveled in Seb or KC most of the time. I cleared the place a handful of times with my guild on Bertoxxulous (Prophecy). I attributed a large part of the no fucks given attitude about that due to already being level 60, with an epic, and excellent items when Velious came out. Pretty much the whole guild didn't really give a fuck it was just looking for where the good items came from and pursuing them. Because of this I played way less during Velious than I did during Kunark.

A shaman in my guild was able to solo the dragons in WW quite early. As a cleric I was always jealous of that.
Yes, they avoided it because it was garbage. You'd be lucky to see 10 people in Velks back then.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The lower-end dungeons in Velious like Crystal Caverns saw TONS of traffic. CC was always just a cool dungeon IMO. I liked dragon necropolis a lot. Siren's Grotto especially can suck a dick. I spent a few days in there just for shits and after that we realized the place had nothing but trash nobody really wanted. Most of my time in Velious was spent in KD and ToV.

HOWEVER, there was no shortage of our bards wanting that stupid ass water elemental thing from Sirens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
shoulda done dkp for dz's, gdkp for open world. bid in /rs quickly so you dont give time for people to line up a buyer. the flippers need a little more risk

when its gkdp you have people essentially with unlimited dkp who dont even have to get that dkp via raiding.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure if you set that to 1 you don't get illusioned while in the guild lobby on April 1st, because some crochety old boomers complained on the Vets Lounge.
LOL, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I remember people would get offended if you inspected them.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
shoulda done dkp for dz's, gdkp for open world. bid in /rs quickly so you dont give time for people to line up a buyer. the flippers need a little more risk

when its gkdp you have people essentially with unlimited dkp who dont even have to get that dkp via raiding.
Doesn't help that you didn't even have to raid to bid so the /rs thing wouldn't work. Like I mentioned before there is/was a guy that kept a character in guild just to bid on items for his character in another guild. He even asked in guild for help on his epic for the other character(in the first few days of kunark). I laughed so hard. Wouldn't be shocked if there was more like that. Since you can earn farm more on your own then doing raids.

Not sure I would want to be in charge of trying to run 2 different systems like that in a guild the size it was. I can't imagine the admin for crap like that. And whiny players, players trying to find every loophole or cheat the system making it even harder.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider

You don't like capitalism?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
We just need a whale to come in and buy every piece of loot at raids and destroy it live on stream for maximum rustling

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes, they avoided it because it was garbage. You'd be lucky to see 10 people in Velks back then.

I played on fennin ro back in the day. I played day 1 launch until about halfway through Velious so all of my memories of velious are the first half of it. I was already 60 on my main when velious launched but I leveled 2 of my alts to 60 in velks. It was always packed there on fennin to the point where it was hard just to find a mob up to solo when i'd take my 60 mage there. I don't remember how the exp compared to zones like seb back then, but I 100% remember that at least on Fennin Ro it was the most popular velious exp zone and it was absolutely packed. I know there are an absolute ton of old TMO - HoD - Zenith sage (the american players) that still play on the TLPs and could prob confirm how insanely popular velks was back then at least on fennin.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As far as "fair market value" goes. I guess I'm a bit naive in thinking an "employee discount" should be applied on dropped items instead of paying retail. I don't think I should be paying tunnel prices for an item that wouldn't even exist without people like me showing up to raid. Beyond that, some of the VP loot is ultra rare and the market has no idea what to even charge for it yet. First day I sold a Froglok bonecaster robe for 1kr, they're like 300 plat now. The market price is set by the people, but the people are retarded.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Stover678

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played on fennin ro back in the day. I played day 1 launch until about halfway through Velious so all of my memories of velious are the first half of it. I was already 60 on my main when velious launched but I leveled 2 of my alts to 60 in velks. It was always packed there on fennin to the point where it was hard just to find a mob up to solo when i'd take my 60 mage there. I don't remember how the exp compared to zones like seb back then, but I 100% remember that at least on Fennin Ro it was the most popular velious exp zone and it was absolutely packed. I know there are an absolute ton of old TMO - HoD - Zenith sage (the american players) that still play on the TLPs and could prob confirm how insanely popular velks was back then at least on fennin.

Can't speak for Fennin, however on Lanys Velk's Lab was always crowded during peak times post-SoV release. Remembering that SoV released eight months after Kunark and that (most) people were not level capped, Velk's was the best alternative from Karnor's for those that were still leveling and/or lacked a static or good group. Also consider that Velk's was more accessible (all races/classes could bind in Thurg, which was one zone away), relatively safe to reach (no to low mob density from portal/Thurg to the zone), and required no special entry (i.e. key). Additionally, the camps were easy to reach with invis making replacements easy to find to keep the group going or doing a CR. Compare that to Seb where, even months later, CRs were problematic if someone died and there was no cleric or the group wiped and you had to CR with your "spare gear." Last, IIRC, on Lanys anyway, Seb was usually the playground for the static/guild groups - it was uncommon for some rando to walk into Seb looking for group in hopes of finding one.

Going back to Mischief, I'm getting a strong "you think you do, but you don't" vibe. There is SO much gear saturating the market that my main's and mule's bank are full of items I don't have the time, or desire, to spend trying to offload. Also, no idea who is actually spending Krono on items due to the gear saturation. Granted, there are some items still eking out one or two Krono (DE mask, Fungi tunic), but I suspect that even that will go away. Any VP items being sold for 5+Krono just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Can't speak for Fennin, however on Lanys Velk's Lab was always crowded during peak times post-SoV release. Remembering that SoV released eight months after Kunark and that (most) people were not level capped, Velk's was the best alternative from Karnor's for those that were still leveling and/or lacked a static or good group. Also consider that Velk's was more accessible (all races/classes could bind in Thurg, which was one zone away), relatively safe to reach (no to low mob density from portal/Thurg to the zone), and required no special entry (i.e. key). Additionally, the camps were easy to reach with invis making replacements easy to find to keep the group going or doing a CR. Compare that to Seb where, even months later, CRs were problematic if someone died and there was no cleric or the group wiped and you had to CR with your "spare gear." Last, IIRC, on Lanys anyway, Seb was usually the playground for the static/guild groups - it was uncommon for some rando to walk into Seb looking for group in hopes of finding one.

Going back to Mischief, I'm getting a strong "you think you do, but you don't" vibe. There is SO much gear saturating the market that my main's and mule's bank are full of items I don't have the time, or desire, to spend trying to offload. Also, no idea who is actually spending Krono on items due to the gear saturation. Granted, there are some items still eking out one or two Krono (DE mask, Fungi tunic), but I suspect that even that will go away. Any VP items being sold for 5+Krono just isn't worth it.
I played on EMarr and while I'm not sure how it got later(I quit mid SoV to play DAoC for a couple years), it wasn't all that frequented early on, except by statics. Most PUG types still just sat at Seb zone-in OOC spamming LFG, hoping to get lucky replacing somebody or having enough of the right classes to form a group.

I fucking hate Velk's though. I understand it has a great ZEM, but that zone really only supports 2-3 groups of solid players. You basically have 1 at entrance, 1 at crystalline spider(I forget the name, but the spider that drops the haste gloves), and then 1 at Kobolds. If each group is pretty solid, that's about all the spawns that shit will really support. Sure, you can stretch it to 4 or 5 groups if people suck, but that's really stretching it. Plus, I absolutely hated that it was basically the ONLY 42+ dungeon people ever did in SoV. At least in Kunark you had some variety with Seb, Chardok, HS, KC, etc. Velk's was it for SoV, unless you ran with a static or the occasional KD armor farm, but even KD farms mostly seemed to be 3 or 4 person group stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

That's interesting to me. On Bertox Velk's was relatively untouched for much of my memory. You'd find a dozen people in there... maybe on any given day. But Seb was chalk full of randoms at all hours functioning identically to Lower Guk. People would sit around the entrance forming groups and heading to camps, all day every day. If anything, the dregs would do Karnor's because of the lack of key requirement and the central location of it.