EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
As a six boxer, I made over 900 Krono gross on mischief, and most of that was in luclin and POP, and almost entirely just from running DZs or GDKP. It really blew my mind just how much demand there was for everything. I know a lot of people think that krono is just getting recycled but I really do think there's still a lot of people buying from DPG. Almost every day in chat I'd see people complaining about not getting their krono because the first purchase always takes time.

Think this server was much much different than past TLPs in terms of new Krono coming in.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
That is true but it's also true that casuals buy krono pretty consistently. There's a guy that shows up to my plat raids on Agnarr with like 1 mill pp of Kronos every time. He buys them.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
There always was and always will be a bunch of Time poor but money rich people that don't have the time to raid or grind xp a lot but want to be uber, and a bunch of sweaty NEETs with too much time on their hands happy to help part them from their money.

Last edited:

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think this server was much much different than past TLPs in terms of new Krono coming in.

I still think Mangler had more krono come into it. It was perfect timing with the lockdowns, people getting stimulus checks, and pop releasing at the same time.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I still think Mangler had more krono come into it. It was perfect timing with the lockdowns, people getting stimulus checks, and pop releasing at the same time.
I’m starting to guess you love Mangler.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I’m starting to guess you love Mangler.
I LOVE MANGLER! WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?

Mangler did weirdly hold steady through the rough GoD+ era, but it's been dying off in SoF/SoD era. Still 10ish guilds full clearing content, but a lot of boxes in those raids to fill them out.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So how does one multibox on one computer on these truebox servers? Tried googling it, didn't get too far.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
So how does one multibox on one computer on these truebox servers? Tried googling it, didn't get too far.
I don't and haven't tried but allegedly you can launch from steam and official launcher at the same time. Celestial potions have been easier to maintain than to worry about boxing.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Let's face it, everyone quit EQ and went and played WOW back in the day when it came out.That's why no one really goes past POP on the TLPs. It has nothing to do with whether the expacs after POP are good. No one goes past a certain point Because they didn't originally. If I want new, there are dozens of better games to put my time into, but the first few expacs of EQ have a hold on me like no other game. Everyone went on and tried to copy WOW's success and we have dozens of clones, but only one EQ. I really wish they had spent the money they spent making EQ2 on making EQ1 a better looking game, maybe then we would have a dozen EQ clones, and only one WOW.
I mean the simple reality most people don't like to concede, at least of those who express this mindset--is the core gameplay loop of early EQ is deeply unappealing to most gamers. The core gameplay loop of WoW was much more appealing in the era in which that sort of MMO was big (I'd argue we've moved into a post-MMO era as the genre is fairly dead now outside of a few big legacy games like FFXIV and WoW, most games that seem to get much hype in new release that even try to use the MMO 'moniker' are fundamentally not even similar games to the early 2000s WoW clones.)

I think you're on the right track. Twice now I've found myself in late PoP, both times having fully planned to play beyond it and see some actual new-to-me content, only to find myself logging in and not finding anything to do. It only takes a few days of that before you're just raid logging and this quickly snowballs into player numbers dropping off a cliff.

I think the problem is actually PoP itself because it is when the grouping game radically changes. Pick-up groups all but disappear as everyone farms the hot spots in specialized groups. Just logging in and trying to find a group to grind some mobs with is easy in the first few expansions but much harder in PoP and beyond. At the same time, the number of AA required to perform adequately goes up and solo play becomes entirely pointless as a way of progressing beyond the lower levels.

The only players that seem to really stick around are those that have a self-sufficient box army or those in a pre-arranged clique. As a "log in and find something to do" game, EQ pretty much dies in PoP.
Being candid I tend to think the biggest issue for players like this is they aren't go-getters and are more casual players. These are the players that WoW took away from EQ in 2004 and for a reason. The mentality that one should be able to login, fall ass backwards into a group, and casually grind and that's all you need to do to keep up or progress your character just isn't the direction TLPs or EQ went--EQ requires you be to more involved in arranging the conditions necessary to maintain/progress your character. Games like WoW do it for you with LFG tool and auto-match making. The more serious EQ TLPers rarely do group content because every expansion from Luclin to live, if you burn hard you can literally cap out 100% of all group content in the expansion by the end of week 1 (some of them by day 1 or 2), the players who are flailing around doing Bastion of Thunder groups a month into PoP are functionally playing a different, much more casual EQ that just doesn't exist on TLP after PoP, and kind of died off in GoD in era EQ in any case.

Honestly, I much prefer this type of MMO to one where I need to login and "do work" every single day. I love that in EQ I can go hard for at most a week, then just raid log until the next expansion. WoW actually used to be that way as well until Legion, I was in a highly ranked raiding guild up until Cata, and I spent huge stretches of time just raid logging since there was no real requirement to play every day if you had otherwise maxed out group content (which a hardcore player could do relatively quickly.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Being candid I tend to think the biggest issue for players like this is they aren't go-getters and are more casual players. These are the players that WoW took away from EQ in 2004 and for a reason. The mentality that one should be able to login, fall ass backwards into a group, and casually grind and that's all you need to do to keep up or progress your character just isn't the direction TLPs or EQ went--EQ requires you be to more involved in arranging the conditions necessary to maintain/progress your character. Games like WoW do it for you with LFG tool and auto-match making. The more serious EQ TLPers rarely do group content because every expansion from Luclin to live, if you burn hard you can literally cap out 100% of all group content in the expansion by the end of week 1 (some of them by day 1 or 2), the players who are flailing around doing Bastion of Thunder groups a month into PoP are functionally playing a different, much more casual EQ that just doesn't exist on TLP after PoP, and kind of died off in GoD in era EQ in any case.

This is actually pretty well put. Although i would say it has less to with being "go-getters" and "casual players." It's much more a mindset of how you approach the grind the "go-getters" are more trying to min-max the grind at all times and the "casuals" take a more of a laid back approach to the grind, a lot of "casuals" do statics, it's just their statics are 4 hours and Thursday and Friday. Then there is also a third group that takes the "go-getter" attitude towards raid content/keying and the "causal" approach to anything else.

That said i think Mischief is a bit different in that regard. The fact that you can buy last expansions raid gear in the baz for pennies on the dollar really allows people to do the later expansion group content that basically requires raid gear from the last expansion.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not so much that I'm a casual only player (I was in serious raid guilds on both servers), it's that raid logging only does not hold my interest. I want to have a use for my character (and all that fancy gear we found) beyond just killing the next raid target. If I can't log in and find something to do at other times, I get bored with the game as a whole. Early TLP you can do some epic camps or pug on alts but all that becomes unrewarding around PoP.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
That said i think Mischief is a bit different in that regard. The fact that you can buy last expansions raid gear in the baz for pennies on the dollar really allows people to do the later expansion group content that basically requires raid gear from the last expansion.
Yep. We have a whole new generation exp'n in Fire for the first time. It's really funny seeing these 'casuals' only want to play in Fire now.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Not sure how it'll impact Mischief cuz the loot is wild over there, but after the recent patch on Agnarr, we're getting 2x loot in LDON raids. Got 12 augs per raid to drop, so if LDONs are busted on Agnarr prepare for like 60 augs or w/e to drop per raid on Mischief.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Not sure how it'll impact Mischief cuz the loot is wild over there, but after the recent patch on Agnarr, we're getting 2x loot in LDON raids. Got 12 augs per raid to drop, so if LDONs are busted on Agnarr prepare for like 60 augs or w/e to drop per raid on Mischief.

I bet they just implemented the Mischief/TB code accidentally into all TLPs. Just out of curiosity was it randomized or augs from their normal chests.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bet they just implemented the Mischief/TB code accidentally into all TLPs.

drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users