EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't the last server that had relaxed boxing rules turn into a cesspool?

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
They need to drastically cut down the time between expansions.

Selo had it right with 1 month unlocks.

Also combine the crap expansions into blocks. If going for a classic start release it with at least up to luclin unlocked.

Then lump all the level 70 content into 1 month total. Fuck anyone crying how DoN or DoDH has good content blah blah blah. Those expansions are trash and in your heart of hearts you all know it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They're likely doing 1 Phinny clone and 1 Special server. At least that is what i've been told EG7 wants them to do.

They probably won't do another FV/Random loot server till Mischief population is low.

At this point i'm not even sure what option they have left but a red/purple server. Everything else has either failed or is still has a healthy server. Maybe they try Selo 2.0 with double/random loot instead of half lockouts.

Special severs are generally a waste of time and resources. Ya they last for 3-6 months maybe depending on their ruleset. But making a server which you know wont make it past 3 months with more than 300 people nightly doesnt make sense.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I honestly don't know how many more times they can do this before there aren't enough people to make it worth their time. Mischief was lightning in a bottle for sure, but I'm not sure even that would last more than one more time around.

I don't want to be doomsdayer numer 1,000,000,001 but I think Everquest has just about ran it's course. I literally don't have any friends or family left that will come back for another EQ server. Everybody I know has finally kicked the EQ habit for good it would seem. If they aren't actually working on the "real" EQ successor already, not sure what the future will be like for the IP.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Special severs are generally a waste of time and resources. Ya they last for 3-6 months maybe depending on their ruleset. But making a server which you know wont make it past 3 months with more than 300 people nightly doesnt make sense.

They make half their money off micro transaction and they're very front loaded. Special server attract people that wouldn't otherwise play the game. Servers lasting long is actually really bad for them. They would probably prefer it if servers died off after a year so they can resell bags, mounts, XP pots, Krono and expansion bundles to TLPs players every year.

Didn't the last server that had relaxed boxing rules turn into a cesspool?

It was mostly just dead early on TBH. Couple of autistic 40 boxers playing petitionquest but most people just kept to themselves. Servers with low pop are usually not toxic for the same reason older TLPs are less toxic. Just less interaction with other players.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I either want mischief or something else interesting, like a actual balance pass to change the classic - pop meta up a bit.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
They basically backed themselves into a corner. People will demand FV loot rules on every server now. They have to wait for mischief to die to push another one, unless they just don't care and just want that initial boost from a server launch.

I can't see them doing anything major to classes. Since that involves actual changing, understanding and testing. Where as most server stuff is just coding the actual server.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Mischief was kind of experimental and it was a wild success. Vaniki was experimental and it wasn't. I have to hope that the success of Mischief far outweighs Vaniki's underperformance and they continue to try new things.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Id take a Mangler clone with all race/classes unlocked. A Kunark start would be a welcome change for once.

But after Mischief and Vaniki, the gimmick servers have been a lot more fun.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mischief was kind of experimental and it was a wild success. Vaniki was experimental and it wasn't. I have to hope that the success of Mischief far outweighs Vaniki's underperformance and they continue to try new things.

Main issue with Mischief is that it makes every other server bad by comparison. If they bring out Mischief 2.0 say every other year it could just keep feeding that narrative. That might be a reason they wont do another mischief for a while.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tried to look into EG7’s 10k and financial reports. It’s hard to tell whether Mischief specifically drove a lot of the margin or growth given it’s still in the pandemic. One thing was clear though which is they consider EQ to be a “long term value driver” for their business when compared to other titles in the bag.

Layer in the tail end of pandemic, a stock that has shrunk (recently grown in last month), economic pressure to perform, looming recession with layoffs everywhere impacting discretionary spending, and we may have a recipe for more creative TLP investments taking the best from Mischief.

• 1Like