Poll EQ TLP Mischief or WOW Classic TBC?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

EQ TLP Mischief or WOW:Classic TBC?

• Total voters

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just remember looting a pig in Elwyn forest or whatever and being stuck there for ages. Good thing step-bro didn't come along.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I feel like anyone saying "WoW was good/clean/polished on launch" didn't actually play WoW on launch. The game was a pile of shit on launch.
I said that they had a reputation for having polished games. WoW definitely had issues at launch, but that really wasn't any different from most online games launched before and after it for some time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
My comment wasn't directed at anyone. I would definitely agree that Blizzard had a much better reputation then SoE at the time and for good reason. But EQ2 launched the same month and honestly for the first 6 months or so EQ2 was the better game. But Blizzard did a much better job and continuing to improve the game, while the EQ2 devs were concerned with stupid shit like "realistic water ripple effects"

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's weird. WoW is the only MMO I played the everliving shit out of at release, yet hold basically 0 nostalgia for. Sure, there are countless MMOs I've played that I don't have nostalgia for, but those were MMOs I played for a month or two. WoW was something I went full try-hard on, did the "uber" guild thing, was in one of the top 5 worldwide guilds during TBC, etc. I don't know if it was because I was already 5+ years deep into the MMO world by the time it released, thus my cherry had already been popped, but I just never get excited about memories of WoW like I do EQ, DAoC, Asheron's Call, etc.

In fact, I recently went back to play DAoC last Septemberish and played solidly for 3 months or so before its dated systems finally wore me down. Nonetheless, there was a lot about that game that "brought me back" just like Selo's and Lockjaw did for EQ. My friends have gone back repeatedly to WoW and always want me to play, but I just never find that thought appealing in the slightest - no idea why that is.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's weird. WoW is the only MMO I played the everliving shit out of at release, yet hold basically 0 nostalgia for. Sure, there are countless MMOs I've played that I don't have nostalgia for, but those were MMOs I played for a month or two. WoW was something I went full try-hard on, did the "uber" guild thing, was in one of the top 5 worldwide guilds during TBC, etc. I don't know if it was because I was already 5+ years deep into the MMO world by the time it released, thus my cherry had already been popped, but I just never get excited about memories of WoW like I do EQ, DAoC, Asheron's Call, etc.

In fact, I recently went back to play DAoC last Septemberish and played solidly for 3 months or so before its dated systems finally wore me down. Nonetheless, there was a lot about that game that "brought me back" just like Selo's and Lockjaw did for EQ. My friends have gone back repeatedly to WoW and always want me to play, but I just never find that thought appealing in the slightest - no idea why that is.
LachiusTZ LachiusTZ said it to me once this way that I thought was very accurate.

EverQuest was a place far more than it was a game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
LachiusTZ LachiusTZ said it to me once this way that I thought was very accurate.

EverQuest was a place far more than it was a game.
I would agree with this to an extent. EQ's world building and slower mechanics leading to increased socialization definitely helped making it feel like a "place", but I really realized how much I missed some of EQ's gameplay mechanics when I went back for Lockjaw. There's still something really appealing about posting up in a remote dungeon corner, pulling mobs, waiting for rare pops, shooting the shit, etc. And I say this as somebody who absolutely fucking loathes tab-targeting nowadays in MMOs - to the point that I refuse to play new MMOs that feature it. Yet for some reason, it doesn't bother me in EQ.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
CRAZYGF.png

Hello, My name is Edaw and I am also a battered gamer.

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like anyone saying "WoW was good/clean/polished on launch" didn't actually play WoW on launch. The game was a pile of shit on launch.
Are you forgetting the standard before WoW for gameplay was "hand this npc who only responds to cryptic messages 1-4 often times very rare and hard to get items and hope it triggers the next step in the quest because often times the quest will bug out due to not saying the right trigger or because fuck you and if it doesnt work those very rare and hard to get items go poof and you have to hope a GM believes your sob story"?

WoW was by no means perfect and had a lot of issues especially with class balance early on but good god it was light years ahead of EQ in most areas.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Exclamation point chasing quests are cancer on MMOs. They were neat when they started but it really sets the game up to be a boring single player game with other people playing vs an MMORPG. The nice thing about returning to EQ is there is no wondering 'what part of which questline are you on?' if you want to play with your friends. There is none of that bullshit so you literally log in and pick a dungeon/zone that is level appropriate and head out to group/xp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Exclamation point chasing quests are cancer on MMOs. They were neat when they started but it really sets the game up to be a boring single player game with other people playing vs an MMORPG. The nice thing about returning to EQ is there is no wondering 'what part of which questline are you on?' if you want to play with your friends. There is none of that bullshit so you literally log in and pick a dungeon/zone that is level appropriate and head out to group/xp.
Manual transmission. Still the best transmission.

manual.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yup, exactly. WoW revolutionized the space in a LOT of ways, but this aspect was one of the worst changes to MMO gameplay that everyone then copied. That linear, "on-rails", themepark style gameplay loop is so fucking tiring and overdone now. It's extremely rare for MMOs nowadays to just drop you off and say, "good luck, figure it out!".

BDO has been the closest MMO I've found in recent years that emulates that old, "figure it out" style, but even it has its moments of task-oriented, "go here, do this, quest X required, etc".

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Yup, exactly. WoW revolutionized the space in a LOT of ways, but this aspect was one of the worst changes to MMO gameplay that everyone then copied. That linear, "on-rails", themepark style gameplay loop is so fucking tiring and overdone now. It's extremely rare for MMOs nowadays to just drop you off and say, "good luck, figure it out!".

BDO has been the closest MMO I've found in recent years that emulates that old, "figure it out" style, but even it has its moments of task-oriented, "go here, do this, quest X required, etc".
It's almost like the default human condition is free will and not being told what to do. The fault equally lies with the internet, gaming sites that scrape DB, and addons. Fucking addons. Wow raiding turned into ADHD DDR.

Binders full of maps!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Are you forgetting the standard before WoW for gameplay was "hand this npc who only responds to cryptic messages 1-4 often times very rare and hard to get items and hope it triggers the next step in the quest because often times the quest will bug out due to not saying the right trigger or because fuck you and if it doesnt work those very rare and hard to get items go poof and you have to hope a GM believes your sob story"?

WoW was by no means perfect and had a lot of issues especially with class balance early on but good god it was light years ahead of EQ in most areas.
And yet which shit do you remember?

My first character was a monk and my robe of the lost circle failed the fucking tailoring combine because my skill wasn't high enough, and I had like 170 skill in tailoring just for that contingency. I trashed that character and started a cleric like RIGHT after that.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
And yet which shit do you remember?

My first character was a monk and my robe of the lost circle failed the fucking tailoring combine because my skill wasn't high enough, and I had like 170 skill in tailoring just for that contingency. I trashed that character and started a cleric like RIGHT after that.

lol, did it go something like this?

quit.gif

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
#1 You are not worth my time to even argue with in the politics thread
...yet you do/did/probably will continue to.

Yes, the best way to show everyone that you don't do "a thing" is to literally do "the thing you say you don't do". Genius.

because there isnt any more to add to the conversation since everyone despises your ass in the first place
"Yeah man, like... no one likes you so that's all the evidence I need in my broken worldview to know I'm right, you're wrong, I'm rubber, you're glue, and blah blah blah"

^ That's you.

and you dont have any intelligence or substance worth debating with, its all trash.
Didn't you vote for Biden? No seriously, didn't you? I'll apologize if you didn't, but... didn't you? ...and you're going to plop in here and talk about intelligence?

#2 I was guilded and raided with Fires of Heaven in both Everquests
BOTH Everquests... hahah called it! What a scrub!

second Sage worldwide worldwide with over 798 world first discoveries
/cringe

We're talking about EQ and WoW here you triggered skidmark.

You are nothing to me, you tranny sack of shit.
Yet your reply to me was:

200.gif

Try again.

• 1Hodjing

Sterling

El Presidente
EQ running away with it on Reddit too. I wonder if anyone at Blizzard sees this lol.

View attachment 353484
I mean depending on where the poll is you might get a very biased response. Also, I like both games, but I really don't get people's infatuation with TBC. I enjoyed both Classic and WotLK more for different reasons.