Poll EQ TLP Mischief or WOW Classic TBC?

EQ TLP Mischief or WOW:Classic TBC?

• Total voters

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Since most quest hubs in WoW also had breadcrumbs to dungeons part of your leveling xp was expected to be dungeons. If you were totally skipping dungeons then yeah, you'd often have to go do multiple hubs all over the place if you didn't want to grind. Even back in Vanilla AoE grinding was the best xp but you didn't get the faction and other side stuff from questing.
Nah In even now in Classic WoW you can't hit 60 by just questing and doing dungeon/group quests. Even with all the quests that were added with AQ/Naxx/DM ect it's actually impossible you simply have to grind there isn't anyway around it. Blizzard changed it with TBC launch they buffed quest XP and reduced the XP you needed to level at higher levels.

It wasn't this way with EQ2 when it launched you could simply just quest all the way to 50 in you desired.

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I just did quest hubs and dungeons and was in the first group to 60 on my server at launch. I don't recall doing any grinding and aside from doing SM Cathedral twice I don't think we repeated any dungeons before hitting 60. there was definitely some travel in the 50s though, was definitely pretty hard to do if you didn't do both plaguelands and felwood/winterspring without grinding.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I just did quest hubs and dungeons and was in the first group to 60 on my server at launch. I don't recall doing any grinding and aside from doing SM Cathedral twice I don't think we repeated any dungeons before hitting 60. there was definitely some travel in the 50s though, was definitely pretty hard to do if you didn't do both plaguelands and felwood/winterspring without grinding.
2004 WoW 100% required grinding and/or repeated dungeon runs. I can't even remember how many Scholo, BRD, and Strath runs I did, but there were a number of them. There's no way you hit 60 in 2004 WoW without repeating a few dungeons or doing absolutely every fucking obscure delivery quest out there, in which case there's no shot you were among the first to hit 60.

There's a period of classic WoW after STV that was absolutely dogshit to quest through, especially as Horde. Alliance had it a little easier, but it wasn't until 50+ that questing became more available/viable again.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
OG classic was broken past level 49 or so. Getting into the 50's was a grind, only to find out you'll finish all the plagueland quests by early 50's. The other plagueland had some quests in the later 50's, which dried up quick. You either hit 60 in a dungeon or by grinding, iirc.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Y’all noobs shoulda gotten on my level. I realized it was bullshit and paid a Chinaman $10 to grind me 57-60. That was the true leveling experience.

Joke was on me though, I rolled a Druid.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IDK EQ was just more magical to me than WoW ever was. At the time it was riddled with mystery, what will you find just around that corner. The world felt huge...If I camp this boss, will it spawn another more rare boss? I know now all this shit is not a mystery anymore because we all played the shit out of it, but back then it sure was. People also hid their secrets they discovered, kept them to their inner circles. Today where everything is data mined before the patch/content even hits. Shit people bitch about camping, at least they did back then, but looking back I enjoyed this type of gameplay way more than constantly moving/fighting. It was cool to just mindlessly sit in some corner for a few hours chill, chat it up between pulls, etc.

Dont get me wrong WoW was also fun too, combat was better and PVP especially when the battlegrounds hit, thats where I had the most fun in WoW. Fucking epic 40 vs 40 Alterac battles. Good times. But to me the rest of the game was shit. Boring on rails crap. And even this got even more boring as they normalized shit through the years. Nerfing the fun multi tiered dungeons and making them all a happy casual 15-20 min run with dungeon finder BS. Later raid finder, etc... everything that wow did through the years was to appease the casuals, taking more and more magic out of the game as they did this.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dubee the Sugawolf Pimp

Trakanon Raider
This entire forum, its history, and its legacy is centered around EQ, not WoW. Pretty simple as Wade said, and the poll reflects that. Had Furor, Tigole, Ariel, (and others) and their massive (let's be real here) MASSIVE influence back then on the MMORPG community not made the jump, WoW wouldn't have had the cultural strength it has had and been a flash in the pan like Asheron's Call. They (Blizzard) were very intelligent in their absorption of the biggest social influencers in the genre. But EQ is this communities heart. WoW is a polished EQ but it'll never have the memories. Gooooo EQ!
Rofl wtf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
IDK EQ was just more magical to me than WoW ever was. At the time it was riddled with mystery, what will you find just around that corner. The world felt huge...If I camp this boss, will it spawn another more rare boss? I know now all this shit is not a mystery anymore because we all played the shit out of it, but back then it sure was. People also hid their secrets they discovered, kept them to their inner circles. Today where everything is data mined before the patch/content even hits. Shit people bitch about camping, at least they did back then, but looking back I enjoyed this type of gameplay way more than constantly moving/fighting. It was cool to just mindlessly sit in some corner for a few hours chill, chat it up between pulls, etc.

Dont get me wrong WoW was also fun too, combat was better and PVP especially when the battlegrounds hit, thats where I had the most fun in WoW. Fucking epic 40 vs 40 Alterac battles. Good times. But to me the rest of the game was shit. Boring on rails crap. And even this got even more boring as they normalized shit through the years. Nerfing the fun multi tiered dungeons and making them all a happy casual 15-20 min run with dungeon finder BS. Later raid finder, etc... everything that wow did through the years was to appease the casuals, taking more and more magic out of the game as they did this.
Wow had lots of stuff to explore and figure out, huge multi-tiered dungeons that had lots of love put into them. It wasn't perfect, but I could see that if wow had been my first game, I'd probably think about it like I do everquest. The sense of wonder is what's gone forever, you only get that once truly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wow exploration stopped when your quest log ran out. Meaning that there was absolutely nothing to explore if a quest didnt take you there. Sure there were elite spawns/camps around the world, but even that got nerfed later because it was too hard. Sure they had multii tiered dungeons, but they were instanced and more of a one time pass through then rinse and repeat. EQ had tons of these that were not instanced, persistent with placeholders, rare mobs, rare nameds, traps hidden doors, etc... even in the outside world, the way the EQ boss and named mechanic worked made you explore every inch of that world to find that hidden placeholder, etc...

Now im bnot saying that WOW was not magical to those that played it first. Im sure it was. It was a much smoother game, better combat, and more evolved. But when it came to exploration and all that EQ took that to a different level. It was a much more dangerous world, and at the time with the internet being young it added to the mystique of the world since almost everything was a mystery in EQ.

Also a big mistake wow did IMO was normalizing everything by the time its first expansion hit. There was no more rare pets to hunt, all weapons were balanced to a spreadsheet, all gear was balanced to a spreadsheet, etc...

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I had a blast exploring the world on my Druid in original classic WoW. There weren't really any quests in Azshara and plenty of other places, but they were still very fun to explore and find good mobs to grind, both for loot and exp. I never once felt like exploration stopped when I ran out of quests. Not even close.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had a blast exploring the world on my Druid in original classic WoW. There weren't really any quests in Azshara and plenty of other places, but they were still very fun to explore and find good mobs to grind, both for loot and exp. I never once felt like exploration stopped when I ran out of quests. Not even close.
And thats fine, still exploration in WOW was empty because in a few weeks you realized all the loot was same across all zones within the confines of level range, with a few exceptiopns of some crafting shit maybe. So no matter where you explored or what you killed it was all same excel sheet loot pool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The best example of Everquest type zone/dungeon in classic WoW was the troll area in Hinterlands. Fight elites all the way up to the top, wait for respawns to get enough kills to finish quests, fight to the end to kill some named. It was like a non-instanced dungeon grind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The best example of Everquest type zone/dungeon in classic WoW was the troll area in Hinterlands. Fight elites all the way up to the top, wait for respawns to get enough kills to finish quests, fight to the end to kill some named. It was like a non-instanced dungeon grind.

I did this a few months ago on Mankrik. Was in a group for like 3 hours, doing that whole chain of quests. Was great to be social in an MMO again! Fuck, it took hours for all 5 of us to get 10 of those quest cauldrons lol. But we had fun. Now? TBC is out, and I just did those same quests solo in a fraction of the time as they are no longer elites :*(

• 1Like