EQ TLP - Next Server Ideas

Pheerie

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can get behind this, but for every zone? No one wants to quest a VT key, for example, but would you want to also remove flagging for PoP progression too? Even if you remove most keys, would it be appropriate to keep some "barriers" in place?
it would be closer to the "casual" server they always aim for... no keys or flags for anything including POP, GOD content

herbert

Trakanon Raider
the obvious choice is mischief with

(1) relaxed truebox from the getgo;
(2) dramatically accelerate the level 70 problem;
(3) do the same as (2) for other problem eras (e.g. maybe classic/kunark/velious)

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
Probably none of you will like this idea but all race/class combo allowed?

Ogre Necromancer FTW!

Also all races available right at the start.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Probably none of you will like this idea but all race/class combo allowed?

Ogre Necromancer FTW!

Also all races available right at the start.
Theyve already said this wont happen because of animations.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Enchanters can turn in to everything, bestow illusion AA exists and a ton of store bought or otherwise premium illusions exist. The animations might be really funky but I doubt there's any particular interaction that you'd run in to on a server with all race/class combos switched on that wasn't already happening through regular play on regular servers.

Pooch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it’s more of them being lazy/ maybe weird code with trainers. It’s probably a lot easier for them to tweak exp percentage and loot etc whatever the catch is for that east cash grab. Now take an ogre necromancer where does he spawn in oggok? Now they have to fine a trainer so now a new npc. Now do that for every class and every city. Seems simple enough to do but I don’t doubt they want to add anything that isn’t on a live server to a tlp server. Even if they had everyone start in the tutorial zone you would still need those npc due to faction etc that you can’t visit for whatever reason.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

It technically will work - but there's no robes for Ogres, and Ogre Monks would be missing a flying kick animation, etc - they have a hell of a time getting anything s3d (EQ's OG launch animation / model / material application format) made as that was mostly lost to time, and the newer (eqg) format is all they use now. Don't forget that new Beastlord models would need to be made/assigned for each race.

Emu folks could technically do this as we have the animation format reverse engineered - our holdup historically has been the client side actually loading them and adding them to the client itself. But if you're willing to ignore the lack of animations on an emu, it's doable there, especially with my hook that powers sending any arbitrary data to the game client's label display. More up to date versions of this hook actually allow us to force the client to acknowledge classes, have HP displayed in the label but as a percentage to the game client internally, and support for multiple classes/races/deities per character via a bitmask:

The real reason is, for them, it's a lot of monetary cost with little payoff for a one-off server idea.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I think it’s more of them being lazy/ maybe weird code with trainers.
Technically they could do what emu devs did and just send the appropriate class on the wire outgoing, but of whatever class you are now as the class ID for the trainer you wish to interact with. So every trainer would be a warrior trainer if you're a warrior, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Things that would interest me in a TLP:

1. Harder content so everything isn't just faceroll. Vaniki had an interesting idea with this, would be nice to see some form of it refined.
  2. Something to reduce kronolords camping everything. I like the idea of everything being nodrop with corpses permanently locked on death, but that's a terrible idea financially.
  3. Either something to reduce boxing or just make it permitted so I can group up without competing against box groups or bring my monster 6box setup in and destroy everything.
  4. Pissing off all the live players (like me) by conferring a permanent benefit for beating challenge modes in the TLP servers. Like a type 3 aug that evolves based on doing content in a TLP.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Solo Self Found Perma Death (SSFPD) - TLP Event Server:
You'd need to implement mob tagging, where once you hit a mob, nobody else can damage/debuff it. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of people OOG slowing and nuking down mobs if the person ever got into danger.
No AA lock on Kunark means there's no point to getting xp for two full expansions. I'm not sure that's great for the server health.
Yeah this felt bad on Vaniki where you'd be in these odd level ranges with unlocked AA (via expansion) but no way to learn them due to levels. It could work if the levels were rethought but *shrug*. Having them all unlock immediately killed a lot of AA farming but was mostly replaced with loot farming.

I think a later start (tss?) but level locked with monthly or biweekly updates would be interesting. Classic through PoP is such a solved problem, that even shortening xpac time or messing with loot is just a bandaid. It would be fun to have a lot of content unlocked and relevant. There is so much that you skip because you already way outlevel it when the xpac normally drops. Having 12 xpacs worth of content unlocked but at level limit 40/50/60/etc would see new paths and item meta coming up. Part of the fun of vaniki and mischief was going to places you never would have gone to before because previously there was no incentive. Also digging through alla and trying to find OP quest rewards and drops for things you'd never even consider. Anything that can focus on getting you to do different shit than the classic -> pop treadmill would be great. Also, whatever rule they have to add to better incentivize grouping / raiding. Why the fuck are you playing EQ alone?

Question for people who played a lot of mischief, which was more impactful? The random loot or the free trade?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You'd need to implement mob tagging, where once you hit a mob, nobody else can damage/debuff it. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of people OOG slowing and nuking down mobs if the person ever got into danger.

Yeah this felt bad on Vaniki where you'd be in these odd level ranges with unlocked AA (via expansion) but no way to learn them due to levels. It could work if the levels were rethought but *shrug*. Having them all unlock immediately killed a lot of AA farming but was mostly replaced with loot farming.

I think a later start (tss?) but level locked with monthly or biweekly updates would be interesting. Classic through PoP is such a solved problem, that even shortening xpac time or messing with loot is just a bandaid. It would be fun to have a lot of content unlocked and relevant. There is so much that you skip because you already way outlevel it when the xpac normally drops. Having 12 xpacs worth of content unlocked but at level limit 40/50/60/etc would see new paths and item meta coming up. Part of the fun of vaniki and mischief was going to places you never would have gone to before because previously there was no incentive. Also digging through alla and trying to find OP quest rewards and drops for things you'd never even consider. Anything that can focus on getting you to do different shit than the classic -> pop treadmill would be great. Also, whatever rule they have to add to better incentivize grouping / raiding. Why the fuck are you playing EQ alone?

Question for people who played a lot of mischief, which was more impactful? The random loot or the free trade?

I did a couple posts on the EQ live boards about the issues with Vaniki's AAs, like how we'd insta-get all of them as it is and it might make sense to lower the level reqs on them by 5, things like that, and had a bunch of live posters just said I wanted the game to be easy or whatever. Lo and behold, when we got new unlocks and there were zero AAs to buy, a lot of people had nothing to exp for and the server dropped off.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Whatever they do I hope they bolt a variant of the Vaniki challenges on top. Cosmetic rewards for achieving goals is good stuff.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It was about equal for me. I did box, so that affects my answer. Free trade made upgrading myself and boxes so much less of a hassle. It also made a number of targets less of a waste of time since you could just sell what you didn't need.

Random loot also had the effect of making lower tier targets way more viable and interesting because you might get a great drop (not to mention the frequent extra drop tables, which was very important too). Both of those combined to make me feel like I was wasting less of my time whenever I was doing something in game. On Mangler, it was such a drag to do some of the things that might only get me a 1% chance of something I would even loot. Random loot also allowed me to do more worthwhile activities with friends without needing a full on raid.

Also, the loot box gambling aspect of the random drops was somewhat addictive. Even when I knew what potential drop tables the mob was in it was still exciting to actually see the loop window pop up and figure out what I got.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
A tlp where slow doesn't exist. No enc sham bst or weapon proc slow.

You want hard mode? This is the way.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Roleplay only server. HP and Mana only regenerate as long as you end random words with an "E" and pepper your sentences with "Thou".

"Does thouest beholde yon beaste?"

health-potion.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Roleplay only server. HP and Mana only regenerate as long as you end random words with an "E" and pepper your sentences with "Thou".

"Does thouest beholde yon beaste?"

health-potion.gif
Instant permanent ban if you describe your characters level as something literal like "level 17". It must be "faggy druid of the 17th season" or "high wizard of the 30th circle" or something of that nature.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users