EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
An article was talking about using an AI to come up with the concept for Everquest 3..... We Asked ChatGPT and Midjourney to Design EverQuest 3 Since Daybreak Games Won't Do It

The eyes.... the eyes get me.

EverQuest-3-1080x605.jpg
Great Job Reaction GIF

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Looks like the test patch yesterday fixed many of the issues with EL/FTE. The big outstanding issue is that casting beneficial spells on someone can give you access to attack their mobs (if you heal a puller you can effectively jack their FTE) and the second issue is that with /yell you can give people access to a mob based on which mob you are targeting when you do the emote. This means you can get a massive train, target the named, /yell and then your pals can freely pull it out of the train basically risk free.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
the second issue is that with /yell you can give people access to a mob based on which mob you are targeting when you do the emote. This means you can get a massive train, target the named, /yell and then your pals can freely pull it out of the train basically risk free.
Feels like a FTE being a training wheels server with easy pull splitting might be totally OK. The /yell prompt is zone wide, right? Might be entertaining for a group to be exposed as being little bitches by constantly exploiting it in front of everyone.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I think /yell is proximity and also gives others your direction, whereas /shout is the zone wide red letter text.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If there was actual competition it might be funny to play, just to grief. As it stands, DZs with char lockouts will provide so much more loot than OW, there is no real reason for OW competition.

Yell, for example, is able to be unlocked by anyone in the group. You can buff any character in the group to get on the mobs hatelist and then nuke yourself to low health to 100% pull threat and break the encounter, etc.

1684248280624.png

They want to shift the meta and it just leads to 'more arcane rules' which means the knowledge gap will grow between the casuals and the people who know how to manipulate the client in their advantage. The funny part is that all of their 'fixes' never changes anything for the 'professional degenerate', but only shits on casuals. Enchanter stun 'fix'? Great, so now a normal person can't chain stuns or participate in AE groups. Meanwhile, a professional AEer will just stack more enchanters oog and continue to sell PLs. FTE locking? Great, we can break their encounter and take what we want, while they have no idea how to do it and just watch as we kill their named.

The worst part is, KSing is such a boogeyman issue. It rarely happens, but it's such an emotional thing, people always remember it. If they're willing to change the fundamental feeling of the game and strangle it to death for a non-issue, they're welcome to. The ruleset is fucking stupid whether there is FTE or not and the only reason to play on the server is to grief.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Feels like a FTE being a training wheels server with easy pull splitting might be totally OK. The /yell prompt is zone wide, right? Might be entertaining for a group to be exposed as being little bitches by constantly exploiting it in front of everyone.

This isn't high school. "Being exposed as little bitches" has never mattered to anyone

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I asked ChatGPT the following:
What do you think would happen if the concept of "the first person to engage a monster is the only one that can interact with that monster" was added to a game like everquest?

This was the response:
If the concept of "the first person to engage a monster is the only one that can interact with that monster" was added to a game like EverQuest, it would have significant implications for gameplay dynamics and player interactions. Here are some potential effects:
  1. Competitive Gameplay: Players would race to be the first to engage a monster, leading to intense competition. This could create a sense of urgency and heightened excitement as players try to secure exclusive access to the rewards and loot associated with defeating the monster.
  2. Solo Gameplay Emphasis: The game design would heavily favor solo players or small groups, as larger groups might find it challenging to coordinate and ensure only one person engages the monster. This could potentially discourage or limit the cooperative and social aspects of the game, where players typically form groups to tackle challenging content together.
  3. Potential for Conflict: The "first engagement" rule might lead to conflicts and disputes between players. If multiple players try to engage a monster simultaneously, it could create tension and disagreements over who was the first to initiate the encounter. Resolving these conflicts could become a challenge for the game developers and potentially impact the overall player experience.
  4. Reduced Group Dynamics: The traditional group gameplay dynamics, where players collaborate and strategize together, would be disrupted. Players may be hesitant to engage with others for fear of losing out on rewards, resulting in a more individualistic playstyle. This could impact the social aspect of the game and diminish the cooperative elements that are often valued in MMORPGs.
  5. Increased Solo Grind: To secure exclusive access to monsters, players might resort to solo grinding or camping specific locations. This could lead to repetitive and isolated gameplay experiences, potentially reducing the variety and excitement offered by group-based activities.
It's important to note that implementing such a mechanic would significantly alter the core gameplay experience and could have both positive and negative effects. Balancing the competitive and cooperative aspects would be crucial to ensure the overall enjoyment and engagement of the player base.

Notice that last statement it says...
It's important to note that implementing such a mechanic would significantly alter the core gameplay experience and could have both positive and negative effects.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
View attachment 473784

If you just can't train or be trained that would probably be fine.

That's how EQ2's locking works - you can only train if you don't engage the NPC.

This is technically an upgrade from EQ2's system. The lock on spawn and lock on ANY form of engage should be backported to EQ2 for contesting targets there; that'd be a solid QOL change.

• 1Like

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He took the old video down, due to a couple of errors. New one below.

• 2Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly sounds like a pretty chill server with a pretty neat way to Twink, almost as good as mischief was.

Skipping trash and easy splits will make running a few lockouts a night doable, which means if you don't have alts you'll be at a disadvantage.

On the flip side though you can get some real sweet alt groups going pretty easily.

Leveling up with your mains raid gear will be super fast. You might actually see people not buying a race change in kunark.

Bonus points if epics are included.

I'm real curious if the faction adjustment for encounter locked mobs stays in effect, I feel that is an oversight and a huge deal but I won't mind at all if it stays in.

As usual though, it all depends on who plays oakwynd, fte raiding is real p99 shitbaggery and I can see a lot of people getting pissed having their shit sniped. Instance raiding should be better than ever, never made sense why lockouts were account wide.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Honestly sounds like a pretty chill server with a pretty neat way to Twink, almost as good as mischief was.

Skipping trash and easy splits will make running a few lockouts a night doable, which means if you don't have alts you'll be at a disadvantage.

On the flip side though you can get some real sweet alt groups going pretty easily.

Leveling up with your mains raid gear will be super fast. You might actually see people not buying a race change in kunark.

Bonus points if epics are included.

I'm real curious if the faction adjustment for encounter locked mobs stays in effect, I feel that is an oversight and a huge deal but I won't mind at all if it stays in.

As usual though, it all depends on who plays oakwynd, fte raiding is real p99 shitbaggery and I can see a lot of people getting pissed having their shit sniped. Instance raiding should be better than ever, never made sense why lockouts were account wide.
Epics are not included