EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Your best month was 7k usd? So if someone is earning >82k salary they have you topped? Shit man. I hope this krono farming is a labor of love or a side gig.

If you think you can do better than that while living in the jungles of Cambodia I'd like to hear it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Who would have thought that someone boasting about being a huge kronolord and dropping innuendo are not as big a player as they think.

And that's with taking the claims at face value.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Your best month was 7k usd? So if someone is earning >82k salary they have you topped? Shit man. I hope this krono farming is a labor of love or a side gig.

$82k a year is considerably more than a large majority of Americans make at their full time jobs, not sure if I'd poo-poo it. Especially when it's from playing a game that they'd be playing anyway. He said he got $7k on his best month and that a typical month was lower than that, so it wouldn't be $82k either, but it's still probably above average for earnings if his numbers are accurate.

On one hand, selling 500-700 kronos in a month seems like a stretch. On the other hand...how many people are paying for EQ with kronos every month? No clue how many active accounts there are in EQ at this point. 20k maybe, with surges to 30k for TLP launch months? Even if it's that low, if only half of that 20k pay for their accounts with krono, that's 10,000 krono being used up per month, that need to come from somewhere, and need to be replenished for non-lord people. Looked at through that lens, yeah, I can believe someone sold 500 in a month.

I probably played EQ as much as the kronolords did at some of the TLP launches and I probably could have made a good chunk of money if I put my mind to it. Now I'm wondering how much I could get if I took a few weeks and really tried to convert all that EQ time at a TLP launch into moneymaking instead of just farming leisurely. If I'm gonna take a few weeks to play and expend the man-hours I usually do, I might as well maximize it.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Time invested matters. How many total hours invested to get to a point where it can be a viable job? Playing, selling, managing whatever resources you use.

Also, an EQ job has no benefits. No medical, dental, vision, no vacation, or 401k match.

Even just as a temporary thing I don't know how great an idea it is to turn something you genuinely enjoy into an effort focused on making money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not trying to shit on 82k as bad, I'm trying to shit on it being king shit near-foler bragging money. If someone says "I make really good money" sure I agree, especially if in the jungle.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The idea of making $ on the side from EQ is appealing. Just the idea of learning how to do it and the economics of it all, seems like a game in and of itself. I just don't know how "fun" I would find it. I am in awe of people who truly understand the EQ markets though and enjoy the wheeling and dealing process. The EQ "economy" is really just another layer that makes EQ so interesting. I might 2 box a Cleric and Enchanter on the next TLP ( if it's a ruleset worth playing ) and try to do a little farming and see how much success I have. I don't need the $, but the idea of paying for all my accounts and learning how to make the game "profitable", is a challenge that's always interested me. My guess is, it probably stops being fun fairly soon though, and I'll lose interest.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
$82k a year is considerably more than a large majority of Americans make at their full time jobs, not sure if I'd poo-poo it. Especially when it's from playing a game that they'd be playing anyway. He said he got $7k on his best month and that a typical month was lower than that, so it wouldn't be $82k either, but it's still probably above average for earnings if his numbers are accurate.

On one hand, selling 500-700 kronos in a month seems like a stretch. On the other hand...how many people are paying for EQ with kronos every month? No clue how many active accounts there are in EQ at this point. 20k maybe, with surges to 30k for TLP launch months? Even if it's that low, if only half of that 20k pay for their accounts with krono, that's 10,000 krono being used up per month, that need to come from somewhere, and need to be replenished for non-lord people. Looked at through that lens, yeah, I can believe someone sold 500 in a month.

I probably played EQ as much as the kronolords did at some of the TLP launches and I probably could have made a good chunk of money if I put my mind to it. Now I'm wondering how much I could get if I took a few weeks and really tried to convert all that EQ time at a TLP launch into moneymaking instead of just farming leisurely. If I'm gonna take a few weeks to play and expend the man-hours I usually do, I might as well maximize it.
People aren’t buying just for subs but you’ll literally have dudes selling a Dbow for 70 kr in game, player A logs into ECT and buys 70 kr from the same dude for $600 then trades it right back to him for the Dbow, not realizing it’s the same guy.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Time invested matters. How many total hours invested to get to a point where it can be a viable job? Playing, selling, managing whatever resources you use.

Also, an EQ job has no benefits. No medical, dental, vision, no vacation, or 401k match.

Even just as a temporary thing I don't know how great an idea it is to turn something you genuinely enjoy into an effort focused on making money.
Another downside is that you can’t tell friends/family what you do for a living. Selling elf pixels for tendies is somewhere below Garbage Man for job respect, and no one gives a fuck if you tell them you own an online business or do online retail.

Most of the krono sellers I know spend a massive amount of time in game too; if they applied the same work ethic they’d be successful in almost any field. So overall yeah it’s a pretty shit gig.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The idea of making $ on the side from EQ is appealing. Just the idea of learning how to do it and the economics of it all, seems like a game in and of itself. I just don't know how "fun" I would find it. I am in awe of people who truly understand the EQ markets though and enjoy the wheeling and dealing process. The EQ "economy" is really just another layer that makes EQ so interesting. I might 2 box a Cleric and Enchanter on the next TLP ( if it's a ruleset worth playing ) and try to do a little farming and see how much success I have. I don't need the $, but the idea of paying for all my accounts and learning how to make the game "profitable", is a challenge that's always interested me. My guess is, it probably stops being fun fairly soon though, and I'll lose interest.

All true, but there's an appeal to it for sure. Turning EQ into a temporary job will either kill the fun or make it a lot more fun. For me I've pretty much done everything in EQ in the past and the game just isn't that interesting, so turning it into a meta-game of sorts by seeing if I can make some money from it might help me get back into it. If it doesn't, well, I'm already starting from a pretty low "done everything" interest level.

Alternatively, something else I could do (and this could go hand-in-hand with making some money), I've never really tried assisted boxing in the game. That by itself might breathe some life into it for me. Final Fantasy 12 was my favorite FF game (well, besides 6...and 7...and maybe 9) and it had a Gambit system where you could basically macro your party to do things. Game went from being "control your characters and win battles" to "micromanage your characters and tweak their coding so they win battles" and it was so much fun. Doing that with EQ and making it a Gambit-system RTS-style game in the next TLP would probably be awesome for me as someone who has pretty much maxed out seeing what the "normal" game has to offer.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
People aren’t buying just for subs but you’ll literally have dudes selling a Dbow for 70 kr in game, player A logs into ECT and buys 70 kr from the same dude for $600 then trades it right back to him for the Dbow, not realizing it’s the same guy.

That's pretty stunning. I'd like to be that guy at one point. Turning EQ into a meta-game. At least on a temporary basis, because at the end of the day it isn't worth it for time invested as a job. What I'm talking about is maximizing that month of hardcore playing that I tend to do once a year anyway.

I've lamented a few times how much money I've missed out on by not selling characters/accounts I was done with from TLPs (thousands, easily) and every year I think this'll be the one where I don't do that. We'll see.

I remember hearing that it had something to do with Qeynos Hills, but no idea if that is true.

Had to do with trading and quitting out if I remember correctly, not sure if it was a specific zone. I might be wrong, was told the details (or some of them anyway) at one time and I've forgotten it now. Maybe someone else will make with the deets now that it doesn't matter anymore.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

All true, but there's an appeal to it for sure. Turning EQ into a temporary job will either kill the fun or make it a lot more fun. For me I've pretty much done everything in EQ in the past and the game just isn't that interesting, so turning it into a meta-game of sorts by seeing if I can make some money from it might help me get back into it. If it doesn't, well, I'm already starting from a pretty low "done everything" interest level.

Alternatively, something else I could do (and this could go hand-in-hand with making some money), I've never really tried assisted boxing in the game. That by itself might breathe some life into it for me. Final Fantasy 12 was my favorite FF game (well, besides 6...and 7...and maybe 9) and it had a Gambit system where you could basically macro your party to do things. Game went from being "control your characters and win battles" to "micromanage your characters and tweak their coding so they win battles" and it was so much fun. Doing that with EQ and making it a Gambit-system RTS-style game in the next TLP would probably be awesome for me as someone who has pretty much maxed out seeing what the "normal" game has to offer.
Yeah, I feel that. That's kind of why I ended up six boxing. One character just wasn't interesting enough after doing it so many times, but the challenge of boxing an entire group manually added a whole new layer I had never experienced. Once you start rolling in some krono on a scale you never had before it is pretty fun for a while, even if you're just doing it to kit out your characters or simply get a higher krono score.

If I ever played again I'd probably go the full automated MQ route just for a different experience and to see how far I could push myself. Hopefully, I'm smart enough to stay away from that time sink though 😜

• 1Like

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Another downside is that you can’t tell friends/family what you do for a living. Selling elf pixels for tendies is somewhere below Garbage Man for job respect, and no one gives a fuck if you tell them you own an online business or do online retail.

Most of the krono sellers I know spend a massive amount of time in game too; if they applied the same work ethic they’d be successful in almost any field. So overall yeah it’s a pretty shit gig.
This is why automation is so key. They just run their little bot armies 24/7 while they do other shit.

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
im interested in someone listing out the now fixed plat dupes

On RF/LJ you could put plat in your shared bank as you were logging out. When they opened up free xfers you could select to transfer and it would start a 30 second logout timer. Then as you were logging out put plat in your shared bank and you would end up with plat in your shared bank and also that same plat on the other server. So you could just xfer toon back and forth and double your plat every time.

TBH i'm not sure both the plat dupes from Mischief were fixed, so i'll refrain from saying the one i know worked. You could also dupe items with that one, but it was very limited.

I'm also told there was one "lag/zone crash" based one, but i can't confirm it's true.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I feel that. That's kind of why I ended up six boxing. One character just wasn't interesting enough after doing it so many times, but the challenge of boxing an entire group manually added a whole new layer I had never experienced. Once you start rolling in some krono on a scale you never had before it is pretty fun for a while, even if you're just doing it to kit out your characters or simply get a higher krono score.

If I ever played again I'd probably go the full automated MQ route just for a different experience and to see how far I could push myself. Hopefully, I'm smart enough to stay away from that time sink though 😜

I'm gonna have a lot of free time from May to about August, working very part-time (like 15 hours a week). So I need to figure out what time sink I want to take on during that timeframe: Go balls to the wall with this new EQ project of doing an RTS box crew FF12-style, or go balls to the wall with the CRPG crusade I've been talking about in the Baldur's Gate 3 thread. Both of those would be massive timesinks that'd take the better part of the whole four months probably. Don't think I can do both. Or I could spend the summer running around looking for a new girlfriend.

On RF/LJ you could put plat in your shared bank as you were logging out. When they opened up free xfers you could select to transfer and it would start a 30 second logout timer. Then as you were logging out put plat in your shared bank and you would end up with plat in your shared bank and also that same plat on the other server. So you could just xfer toon back and forth and double your plat every time.

Yeah, that's the one I couldn't remember. Absolutely nuts that it worked. That's the one that got fixed, don't know about any others.

All the really good PLers are making that much if they really want too.

So PLing is the key to making phat stacks? Moreso than krono flipping on ECT, selling your own PLed characters, or farming/selling hot items? Kinda sucks because PLing is the one I'd be least interested in spending time doing in this hypothetical "Rajaah six-boxes to see how much krono can be piled up in a month" scenario. Besides flipping, that sounds super lame.