EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I have the old EQ strategy guide as bathroom reading, and they mention in game guild wars. I don't remember ever seeing one in action though. That would be fun for a day or two of chaos, but as a full time server just no, hard pass.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Monks in general are pretty garbage when it comes to EQ pvp until Luclin+. There are some situations/environments where they can shine before then, but it's very specific and an EQ pvp server would only be good from classic-velious anyway unless they made a lot of changes. EQ pvp is already not balanced (but it's still really fun imo classic-velious) but after luclin the lack of balance becomes far too extreme for it to be any fun.
I dunno, that doesn't match my experience from R99 and the couple emu servers I've played on. Plus Monks are overtuned in early expacs on TLP anyhow. Guess we'd just have to see in the unlikely scenario they actually do it

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
By EQ TLP standards, all EQ2 TLP's are flops and population dies out fast regardless of ruleset. EQ2 in general doesn't have a large population but most players they do have play live, not TLP.
I've played EQ2 TLP's almost as long as I have EQ TLP's, and even on day 1 launches they feel dead compared to EQ TLP's. It's a different standard over there.
Also a lot of EQ2 TLP's have built in incentives for live players to temporarily play such as claimable rewards they can achieve on the TLP and then claim on live. So what usually ends up happening is when a TLP is launched, what you're mostly seeing is the live players coming to get their claimables and soon as they are finished they all go back to playing their live characters.

EQ2's TLPs don't offer great incentives for live players.

The last one that did gave a cosmetic mount appearance, cosmetic armor, and maybe what, a p2w infuser or two, a total effective value of $3 for putting up with one of the most butchered PVP experiences in MMOs?

Kaladim offered heritage quest skips on live for future characters, a feature that should just be baseline at this point because the ramp-up time to get started on EQ2 at max level on live servers is several months. Most I know quit that game in the first few levels once they start getting more than 50 skills and their hotbar becomes a mess.

EQ2's real problem is they traded their most loyal playerbase for f2p-style monetization somewhere in 2010 and once you make that change, you can't revert it - unless you were to make time-locked servers and fork from where the problem began, but their model of deploying the same game mechanics on live and TLP irreparably damaged the balance in older content.

Now they have the people who have sunk thousands of dollars and refuse to let go, and monetize the same people who refuse to let go.

If EQ2Emu makes any sort of progress, they're going to have to sunset the game, and Kander has previously mentioned in PMs to me that they'd send the 'legal death squad' after EQ2Emu - there's a clear reason why, and no one except the old players who no longer play their game like the answer.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not to completely derail the thread but its a shame that EQ2's best days were not seen by a lot of folks and its even more sad that they never addressed the core issues of the game. I really enjoyed my time on EQ2. I may be in the minority but I also had some of my best MMO memories in the early days of Nagafen (PvP Server).

To come back to the topic, I wish they would open Agnarr to Free-to-Play. I think people would float back and forth to that server and I think its both timely and deserving.

I may be foolishly optimistic but I think we'll get a big announcement next year for the anniversary. I'm not sure what it will be but until then, I look forward to the next TLP.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I’d want a pvp tlp just to see the streamers that play it, go on twitch and look at the genuine meth addicts that stream Red99 in current year; it’s pretty fucking comical to witness.

anyway where’s muh server info already

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I’d want a pvp tlp just to see the streamers that play it, go on twitch and look at the genuine meth addicts that stream Red99 in current year; it’s pretty fucking comical to witness.

anyway where’s muh server info already

My guy tells me it'll be any day now, just waiting for final approval

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I played for a bit on Rallos Zek and Sullon Zek, before finally settling on Vallon Zek. Today ... pvp is done so much better on the console and in other genres, Destiny 2, HALO, etc. Hard to imagine going back to a classic start EQ pvp tlp. The whining from farmers would be epic though. I agree with others here that say that this type of server would rapidly go from a community of sheep and wolves ... to a small rout of wolves.

... and then the wolves will just get bored.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You guys that played on servers like sz don't understand how ridiculous pvp is with modern hacking. It won't be sheep and wolves. It will be trolls and trolled.

• 1Like

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Possibly the biggest attraction for a pvp tlp is the fact that you (and your group) can play and troll so outrageously ... while streaming it out publicly to the largest possible audience. No denying the honeypot aspect ... that was the rumor with the Discord server too.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
On the Discord permadeath pvp server with a group of guildies in our mid 30's farming old Cazic zone.

We check /who basically as a hotkeyed command pressed every 30 seconds to see if anyone zones in.

Group of 6 level 35 SKs zone in. We notice them immediately. We are on the top of the temple well away from the zone in. They warp hack directly on top of us and 3 HT's a piece kill each of our heals instantly. Timestamps show all 6 were cast at the same time.

A TLP pvp server for this game in 2023 would be dead as fucking hell within a month.

Edit: I literally snapped my keyboard in half when that happened.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Confirmed ruleset from top trusted poster on the EQ forums.

Just got off the phone with my contact at DPG, they are wrapping up the testing of the new TLP server rules and boy is it crazy, here's the interesting part of the upcoming announcement:

TLP Server Choice #2: Divinity
  • Building on the Community Resource Council system, the Divinity server will allow players who go through a qualification process to take the role of EQ deities, including:
    • Bertoxxulous: The Plaguebringer
    • Brell Serilis: The Duke of Below, Duke of Underfoot
    • Bristlebane: The King of Thieves
    • Cazic-Thule: The Faceless, Lord of Fear
    • Erolissi Marr: The Queen of Love
    • Innoruuk: The Prince of Hate
    • Karana: The Rainkeeper
    • Mithaniel Marr: The Lightbearer
    • Prexus: The Oceanlord
    • Quellious: The Tranquil
    • Rallos Zek: The Warlord
    • Rodcet Nife: The Prime Healer
    • Solusek Ro: The Burning Prince, Lord of Flame
    • The Tribunal: The Six Hammers
    • Tunare: The Mother of All
    • Veeshan: The Wurm Queen
  • These players, acting as deities, will have access to limited abilities ingame to support dynamic events, building on the long-standing Guide system. This may include events like:
    • Spawning deity-specific mobs with improved loot throughout the open-world
    • Spawning a deity-specific champion to assist players in a fight
    • Providing a temporary blessing to a group of players
    • Scheduling and organizing raid events in the open-world
    • Organizing fights with other deities
    • These events may not happen in instances
  • The extent of a deity's power is based on the number of active players who select them. Deities will accrue "Divinity Power", similar to mana, that they can consume to appear to players and provide challenges to them. This will be capped to 20% of the total Divinity Power accrued by all deities
  • Deities will be ranked based on total Divinity Power consumed over the last week
  • A deity's rank will confer a blessing in the form of a static buff to all players who select them
    • The blessing increases base stats, damage, healing and item drop bonus that triggers on the death of each mob
    • This blessing will scale downward based on the number of selectors such that a top-ranked deity with a large number of selectors may will provide a blessing that is worse than a lower-ranked but less popular deity
  • Each week, the bottom 5 ranked deities will be required to schedule and trigger an event where they must battle for their life in an open-world fight where players may either chose to defend or attack the deity
    • If the deity dies, the person controlling them will be removed and after week a new player will be chosen to take control of the deity
    • If a deity lives, their followers will receive an additional persistent buff for one week
    • The deity's level and abilities scale with the current level cap of the server
    • If this event does not happen a deity will be spawned and be game-controlled
  • Players can change deities at temples for a deity, but are still limited based on race/class selection
  • This experimental TLP is being used to pioneer a revised Guide system for Live servers and future TLPs
  • Non-deity Players will maintain a "Disciple Velocity" (building on the Loyalty Velocity system) that will increase based on activity in deity events.
    • The Disciple Velocity rewards a daily stipend of Disciple Points that can be spent petitioning deities for divine intervention events
    • Players in a group or raid can pool their Disciple Points together
    • Petitioning their own deity is done at half cost, petitioning all deities is done at double cost
    • Deities that answer the petition expend reduced Divinity Power to create an event, but the full cost is used for improving a deity's rank. The reduction is based on the amount of Disciple Points the players provided.
  • For the purposes of a mob spawning divine intervention event, deities can select loot within a zone's normal loot table equivalent to the difficulty of the mobs, such that raid mobs will drop raid loot, named will drop named loot, etc.
    • Selecting a different zone's loot table increases the divinity power consumption for the event, while providing no improvement to a deity's rank
    • Zones and players will accrue a stacking divinity exhaustion buff that reduces the drop-rate of items in divine intervention events

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why do you keep telling fake stories about the Discord server?

Having seen some of the best SKs in action (situations of both hack and non-hack), I don't see anything about that story that isn't believable.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Having seen some of the best SKs in action (situations of both hack and non-hack), I don't see anything about that story that isn't believable.

Because you're not in denial about EQ pvp being a terrible idea destined to fail

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
That's why the server is secretly a honeypot.
There's no need for honeypots when CSRs can just pull data that proves who the asshats are.

They know you all are degenerates. Also the TOS literally states they can ban you at any time for any reason they see fit and you will have no recourse.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

People just weren't that high of level on discord.

The highest level person on Discord was one of the winners. A guy by the name of Searyx, was a 37 Cleric on Discord and a Druid friend/guildie of mine in the guild Imperium on the Sol Ro server.

In his first post about the server.

After two weeks there was only like 20ish people on in the evenings. Everyone else either stayed logged off to keep what points they had farmed or they had quit in frustration after being flat out roflstomped by everyone else. After a few deaths I made a druid and survived to the end at level 44 with my buddy at 45 on his cleric.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
People just weren't that high of level on discord.

The highest level person on Discord was one of the winners. A guy by the name of Searyx, was a 37 Cleric on Discord and a Druid friend/guildie of mine in the guild Imperium on the Sol Ro server.

In his first post about the server.

1680557164910.png

That Trindamere is Marc Merrill, president of Riot Games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Those are the ones that won by points.

I was 44 druid Thermy

My pvp partner was Apostle Pete at 45 cleric. We both played with Darkwind.

The people who won farmed points the first week and never logged back on.

Pete actually won the whole competition but they disqualified him saying that his name was a title being "Apostle Pete"

Edit: Seriously though why would I fucking lie about this shit when anyone can dig up the old posts?

• 1Picard