EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
My lady says that the announcement will be made on April 9th.

Two servers:
  • Server 1 - Classic start with all classes playable, truebox, and free trade/random loot
  • Server 2 - 1 character per server, perma-death, faction-based pvp, items show up in shared bank slot for your new character when last character dies
Enjoy.
Five more days.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Not to completely derail the thread but its a shame that EQ2's best days were not seen by a lot of folks and its even more sad that they never addressed the core issues of the game. I really enjoyed my time on EQ2. I may be in the minority but I also had some of my best MMO memories in the early days of Nagafen (PvP Server).

Article tells you everything you'd want to know about how EQ2 is being handled.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was hoping the dick measuring contest between everybody's guys would heat up this week. So far so good. Keep it going plz!

Pharone

Trakanon Raider

Article tells you everything you'd want to know about how EQ2 is being handled.
Different owners, different name, same shit company ran by same shit employees. What do you expect really? We all know what we are paying for when we play their games. We know, and we still give them our money. Fuck if I have ever known why, but that's what we do.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Imagine if EQ1, which I think has more players, got more than the fraction of funding that EQ2 gets. Without EQ2, all that money and dev man hours dedicated to EQ1... it'd probably still be competitive in the MMO space. Luclin/PoP level expansions would have continued to be the norm (and GoD/OoW would have been one big expansion) instead of the glorified content packs we got from 2005 onward. Oh well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Building parallel "never-ending" games is pretty scope-creepy if you ask me for sure.

Its an interesting position to take. They should figure out how to smash them together and call it ultra-everquest.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Not sure how they thought that was ever going to be accepted by the players.
The same way every other EQ2 "We promise to never do this again" featureset will be introduced: in a few years when 'other games are doing it' and they decide they can make money on it once people have forgotten about the drama.

This has been the EQ2's modus operandi since the game launched, and it has cannibalized interest in each failed, broken promise.

Short sample of broken promises since release:
- Crafting will remain interdependent (broken after Desert of Flames)
- We won't merge the Station Exchange servers or allow transfers between them (broken after 3 years of the server being online)
- We won't add paid power to the main game (broken by addition of F2P)
- F2P will be on its own server that will never intersect with the main game (Broken a year after release)
- F2P will be added to the main game, but only the cosmetics (Broken a year after cosmetics were added)
- Spells are only to be researched (broken by monetized cash shop research)
- We're adding gambling with crates, but it's only cosmetic (Broken the moment the crates were added)
- We won't let players skip raid progression through purchases (You are here)

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The same way every other EQ2 "We promise to never do this again" featureset will be introduced: in a few years when 'other games are doing it' and they decide they can make money on it once people have forgotten about the drama.

This has been the EQ2's modus operandi since the game launched, and it has cannibalized interest in each failed, broken promise.

- We won't merge the Station Exchange servers or allow transfers between them (broken after 3 years of the server being online)
- F2P will be on its own server that will never intersect with the main game (Broken a year after release)
- F2P will be added to the main game, but only the cosmetics (Broken a year after cosmetics were added)
- We're adding gambling with crates, but it's only cosmetic (Broken the moment the crates were added)

Spot on.

"Spells are only to be researched (broken by monetized cash shop research)"

They make a ton of cash on this one with every single new TLE and expansions. The level cap spell database is broke, so if say 60 is the cap, you cannot craft level 60 spells. The ONLY way is for super rare master drops, or to just open up your wallet. Wonder why they don't fix that one! Laughably, it's priced by spell level, so by the time you get to level 80 or so, you'd spend double what you would on a AAA console title just to grandmaster 1 spell :p

/veto

• 1GreNeg

Annunaki Hybrid

Trakanon Raider
I found that spell research thing really obnoxious when I dabbled on the last TLP. Oh, I have to either pay, or get more powerful by... Logging off and not playing the game? The power gap while levelling between those who shelled out and those who didn't (me) was obscene.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This monetization stuff is pathetic. Closest thing in EQ1 is them selling buff potions/exp potions for modest amounts in the shop. They give people who have them a significant advantage but they're also pretty cheap. 80 cents each for haste, clarity, SoW for four hours. That's 60 cents an hour for all of them. Regen is another 20 cents an hour. If you get all your leveling done in like 25 hours, you spent a grand total of like $20, plus whatever exp potions you got. It's pretty modest altogether compared to the stuff they did in EQ2.

Back in my day games just made extra money by putting out really good expansions and updates and focusing on player retention.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider

The track record for the company (no matter who owns them or what they call the company on any given day) has always been bottom level scum-based business decisions. It's not the game nor the industry. It's the people in charge there. They may change hands on who owns them from day to day, and they may get rid of the TOP person in charge to make it look like things have changed, but when you get right down to it, these are the same people who have been doing scummy things in the industry for over two decades now.

I truly wish that the good employees there (and yes there HAS to be some good employees there that scratch their heads and think wtf is this company doing at times) could eventually get in to positions where they could fix that company's culture. Will it ever happen? Doubtful. This is the same company that protects "specific" botters, hassles customers that their friends/family don't like in game, tosses out suspensions if you get in their friends/family's way in game, manages to some how have an accidental plat dupe on every single TLP each and every time, and puts out "expansions" with less actual new content then a third of what other companies call an expansion while charging $100 to $200 dollars for "special" versions of said content with shit like a one time claimable mount in it. There is something corrupt at the core of that company.

I'm sorry, but it is really hard to find any good in a company that continues to fuck their customers every year.

• 1Like

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
my source tells me there's a 50% chance that the announcement is today and a 50% chance that it isn't today.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users