EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Q: Will this prevent assisting/helping other players?
A: No. If a player would like assistance from someone outside their group or raid, they can target the NPC and use /yell. This will semi-unlock the NPC and allow anyone to attack it. Once unlocked using /yell, the NPC cannot be locked again until it leaves combat, and the original lock is removed.

Q: Will there be any changes with how loot or experience is awarded?
A: No. Loot and experience will be awarded to the person/group/raid that does the most damage to the NPC.
I'm pretty sure in EQ2 it poofs the mob, but it looks like in EQ it'll just unlock it to be 'normal'. I believe in EQ2 if you target yourself or nobody, it breaks all encounters you are in.

If this is the case, then they have done nothing to change PLing, so eat a big pile of shit there mids who care about that kind of thing.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
It was probably Cohhcarnage. He's the only popular streamer who I know returns to EQ every now and then.

Nah wasn't cohh. The person I'm thinking of I think hadn't been streaming for very long when I first saw him streaming ragefire. He only streamed it a few days and then I never saw him stream eq again.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Just go drag queen and you'll be one of the most popular EQ streamers.

Oh you .....
Drag Queen Wow GIF by Paramount+

Might get that Bud Light sponsorship though!

Who Is Alissa Heinerscheid?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I can't imagine streaming to zero people night after night, that must get really demoralizing for people starting out (or more so if they've been doing it a while). Always wanted to try it (I could do Stupid SK Tricks or something like that), but unless one has got a built-in audience I don't really see the point. I'm fine being on-camera but it's still not something I want to do by default at home to an empty room. I guess everyone who streams has to go through that though and hope that they catch on in some way.

Maybe faking it until you make it is the way to go, buy a bunch of bot subscribers to artificially bump your page up so that people actually see it and real viewers begin accumulating. I've seen plenty of clips of high-viewer streams where the chat was hardly moving, so who'd know the difference?

I can't really talk though, watching streams is like the last thing I feel like doing at any given time, outside of maybe watching a Vtuber. So if I'm not watching anybody I wouldn't expect anybody to watch me, kind of thing.
It sounds stupid, but one of the best things a streamer can do is always stream as if hundreds of people are watching you EVEN IF NO ONE IS WATCHING YOU.

If you only entertain when you see people watching you, it feels extremely fake. You want the viewer to feel like they came in to an existing stream and want to join in. This also makes it so that the streams you end up exporting to YouTube are more entertaining for those people that watch there.

Before coming to the TLP's I hadn't played eq since 2001, funny enough i learned about the eq tlp's from clicking on a random twitch stream of a guy streaming EQ on the ragefire server launch. I had no clue EQ even still existed. He only had a few viewers. Can't remember his name off top of my head, but I checked on his stream a few years later and he was streaming some other MMORPG with over a couple thousand viewers.
This actually is what I see the most when streaming Lotro. People that are thinking about coming back to the game or checking it out for the first time, go to Twitch and find a someone currently streaming that game. I get tons of people coming to my Lotro stream and telling me that they haven't played it in years or just recently heard about the game and are interested in checking it out. They ask me lots of questions, and I go out of my way to answer them including taking time away from what I'm doing sometimes to specifically show them how certain systems work in the game. That usually leads to those viewers becoming long term viewers that follow me and subscribe to the stream.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
eqtlp.png

Vic's suggestion from discord. I feel like a lot of the incompatibility with FTE and 'classic' eq comes down to aggro management and just mob availability. Mobs are currently too valuable and to the griefing/punishment is too great. We're not talking wow where you are all just picking livestock out of an endlessly refreshing field of mobs. Upping the spawn rate would definitely bring some excitement to dungeon crawling at the very least.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
View attachment 469754

Vic's suggestion from discord. I feel like a lot of the incompatibility with FTE and 'classic' eq comes down to aggro management and just mob availability. Mobs are currently too valuable and to the griefing/punishment is too great. We're not talking wow where you are all just picking livestock out of an endlessly refreshing field of mobs. Upping the spawn rate would definitely bring some excitement to dungeon crawling at the very least.

Totally agree. They should cut respawn timers on all rare and raid mobs in half, at a minimum.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
View attachment 469759

Decreased spawn timers will ruin current "break / split" mob camp strategies. I have no interest in creating Emerald Jungle or Plane of Storms style zones globally.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Decreased spawn timers will ruin current "break / split" mob camp strategies. I have no interest in creating Emerald Jungle or Plane of Storms style zones globally.

Would be a massive + for the games that far outweighs a few people's love of "break/split mob camp strategies"

A lot of the issues that FTE is probably trying to fix are caused by early game power levels being far above what they really were in classic and 1 group being able to clear what took 2-3 groups in the last. Lguk is a good example where groups are all fighting over the same mobs as soon as they spawn because the entire place has been picked clean

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Would be a massive + for the games that far outweighs a few people's love of "break/split mob camp strategies"

A lot of the issues that FTE is probably trying to fix are caused by early game power levels being far above what they really were in classic and 1 group being able to clear what took 2-3 groups in the last. Lguk is a good example where groups are all fighting over the same mobs as soon as they spawn because the entire place has been picked clean

Why not let the current DZ spawning mechanism handle the situation in your Lguk example?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If your goal is to just relive the exact same meta every single TLP, maybe the alternate ruleset TLPs aren't for you. I don't know that "Yttrium has to rewrite some gina triggers" is a compelling argument.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
At this point I think we're mostly getting what we've been told we're getting with maybe a little sprinkle of sugar left to be announced. The FTE mechanics are going to be enabled on Test ahead of time so we'll at least get a look before launch but this is it. We're getting one server and it's this. It's not what I would have pitched given D4 comes out less than two weeks after but it ain't my call. If this would have been the server alongside Vaniki I think it would have been better received but people want free trade and extra loot.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Why not let the current DZ spawning mechanism handle the situation in your Lguk example?

You mean where nothing respawns? Or that a group should be able to spawn their own instance? First one makes no sense, second one they're clearly against which is why they nerfed DZ exp gain. Also people afraid of it turning into a WoW everything instanced game

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
View attachment 469759

Drop spawns to 2 hours and add raid loot lockouts to open world per account like instances have. 7 days lockout timers.

Everyone gets loot eventually under that system. Encourages killing mobs in smaller groups to share more of the loot.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Drop spawns to 2 hours and add raid loot lockouts to open world per account like instances have - 7 days lockout timers.

Everyone gets loot eventually under that system. Encourages killing mobs in smaller groups to share more of the loot.
This is similar to how EQ does their 'rare' hunting and world bosses. There it just ends up with big zerg piles hitting the bosses and it becomes another meaningless slog unfortunately. I suppose since EQ doesn't scale the loot table to the number of people engaged with the mob, it could have some different incentives to save your weekly lockout to hit it with a small group. But probably sows salt into OW guilds.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
There it just ends up with big zerg piles hitting the bosses and it becomes another meaningless slog unfortunately. I suppose since EQ doesn't scale the loot table to the number of people engaged with the mob, it could have some different incentives to save your weekly lockout to hit it with a small group. But probably sows salt into OW guilds.

I don't see downsizing megazergs as a terrible design decision.

Raiding in OW is already a meaningless slog zerg pile.
You raid so Grosk can have his Crystalline Spears and so some douchebag can cash out the guildbank.

FTE would compliment this design idea.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It was probably Cohhcarnage. He's the only popular streamer who I know returns to EQ every now and then.

Cohhcarnage is in the new Yakuza game. He's a free DLC summon, along with Kenny Omega and a few people I don't recognize.

Pretty crazy seeing an EQ streamer in a mainstream new game in 2023. I guess he really branched out after EQ though.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
If your goal is to just relive the exact same meta every single TLP, maybe the alternate ruleset TLPs aren't for you. I don't know that "Yttrium has to rewrite some gina triggers" is a compelling argument.
I'm fine with the proposed ruleset.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
You mean where nothing respawns? Or that a group should be able to spawn their own instance? First one makes no sense, second one they're clearly against which is why they nerfed DZ exp gain. Also people afraid of it turning into a WoW everything instanced game
Why so adamant against competing for spawns? Competition for mobs was a key part of early Everquest. When was xp gain nerfed inside a DZ?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Why so adamant against competing for spawns? Competition for mobs was a key part of early Everquest. When was xp gain nerfed inside a DZ?

I'm not the one that came up with FTE why are you asking me? I don't give a shit either way. And it was nerfed years ago