EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can see it already at a round table

“why isn’t Oakwynd performing?”
-exec

“Bad timing with D4”

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was reading some of the Lockjaw drama from 2015. I actually regret missing out on that particular era, some stiff competition going on and claws were out. Though if I had been around unfortunately I probably would have missed it anyway. TBH would have been on Ragefire.

All that drama over an Efreeti, absolutely nuts. The fur was flying!

Was "Gulfein" Dima, or one of his officers? The verbal back and forth between him and Darth was hilarious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Was "Gulfein" Dima, or one of his officers?

Gulfein was Dima.

1681939869414.png

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Drop spawns to 2 hours and add raid loot lockouts to open world per account like instances have. 7 days lockout timers.

Everyone gets loot eventually under that system. Encourages killing mobs in smaller groups to share more of the loot.

I would argue that all the "timers" are tuned constantly during the first 30 days of a TLP launch due to overcrowding. I can see Ngreth and/or the other designers "dialing it in" so that the server retains a "Classic" look and feel throughout the initial surge.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Why so adamant against competing for spawns? Competition for mobs was a key part of early Everquest. When was xp gain nerfed inside a DZ?

The playerbase has had a sketchy relationship with competition since the very beginning. We had Play Nice Policies in original vanilla. Every person here probably has a story about the time a GM showed up and decided who got a raid target with a /random or a /duel or some other contrived bullshit. The rule is First in Force except when it's not except when it is oh screw it no one has any idea. One of the nicer things about the TLPs was just giving up entirely on policing stolen kills and camp radii.

meh ... I'm open to being proved wrong ... but I could not tell the difference between AAxp'n in a DZ or OW in PoFire / Paw on Aradune / Mischief.

I'm pretty sure Zaide Zaide tested DZ exp for his killer Mischief launch but if you told me that the exp changes to DZs were entirely different in Sol B than they are four expansions later I could believe that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 469759

Vic's suggestion from discord. I feel like a lot of the incompatibility with FTE and 'classic' eq comes down to aggro management and just mob availability. Mobs are currently too valuable and to the griefing/punishment is too great. We're not talking wow where you are all just picking livestock out of an endlessly refreshing field of mobs. Upping the spawn rate would definitely bring some excitement to dungeon crawling at the very least.

It's a good idea. Dungeon crawls will be significantly more challenging. Mobs won't be at such a premium anymore so less griefing and competition. People will be too busy fighting the onslaught of the game world to be bitching about anything. Maybe I'd be able to finally get a damn Hadden during launch week.

Gulfein was Dima.

Oh, Noble Dojorn was the "Efreeti" in question? Now it makes more sense. I thought it was the Efreeti in Sol B and was wondering why it was on a rotation to begin with unless times were REALLY desperate.

I'm somewhat Plane of Sky deficient, which is why it didn't come to mind. That and original VP are probably the only raids in EQ outside of the current live expansion that I'm not very familiar with.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
wait what are the respawn timers on TLPs?

cus back in the day it was like 29 minutes between spawns in places like LGUK.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh, Noble Dojorn was the "Efreeti" in question? Now it makes more sense. I thought it was the Efreeti in Sol B and was wondering why it was on a rotation to begin with unless times were REALLY desperate.
You werent wrong though. SolB was a shitshow. You could pickzone and stay in the same spot and there was no timer. So groups were locking down multiple picks and stealing named mobs. Ragefire and Lockjaw were the most toxic of servers. Aradune as well but in a different way.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You werent wrong though. SolB was a shitshow. You could pickzone and stay in the same spot and there was no timer. So groups were locking down multiple picks and stealing named mobs. Ragefire and Lockjaw were the most toxic of servers. Aradune as well but in a different way.

You haven't lived until you took a fucking raid of forty people to push a crew out of Efreeti only to get pushed out yourself by a 72 boxer. Those servers really were a fucking mess.

• 1Worf

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
wait what are the respawn timers on TLPs?

cus back in the day it was like 29 minutes between spawns in places like LGUK.

Everything will be stupid fast on a TLP launch. I can post times from LGUK on Yelinak, when I get there ... but they will be slightly longer then what players will see within the first few weeks on Oakwynd imo.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 4x mob respawn cannot be in DZs or the server becomes nearly impossible. A lot of content is balanced around certain timings and certain add respawn rates for their challenge. Things like mpg trials with this change intact, just awful. Open world there are some potentially really shitty outcomes like txevu clearing but not insurmountable there.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Was the new UI supposed to happen before TLP launch right? I'll try to update my weeby one.

Maybe I can get it working on secrets's server too. Secrets' secret's ? secretseseseesessesesesese'

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Was the new UI supposed to happen before TLP launch right? I'll try to update my weeby one.

Maybe I can get it working on secrets's server too. Secrets' secret's ? secretseseseesessesesesese'
UI won't work on ROF2. It uses an entirely new HTML5 backend.
Very hard to backport. MQNext has lua on rof2 that would better suit emu.

Hamshire

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm here to educate you about the single biggest threat to our new TLP. You see, there is something out there which threatens our very existence and may be the end of Norrath as we know it. I'm talking of course about MansSergOloid. It is a creature which roams the game alone. It is half man, half sperg, and half mongoloid. Some people say that ManSpergOloid isn't real. Well i'm here to tell you now, ManSpergOloid is very real and he most certainly exists. I'm cereal. ManSpergOloid doesn't care who you are, or what you've done, ManSpergOloid simply wants Krono. I'm super-cereal. But have no fear, because I am here to save you. And someday, when the world is rid of ManSpergOloid, everyone will say "thank you Hamshire, you're super-awesome. the end.
Yes.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 469759

Vic's suggestion from discord. I feel like a lot of the incompatibility with FTE and 'classic' eq comes down to aggro management and just mob availability. Mobs are currently too valuable and to the griefing/punishment is too great. We're not talking wow where you are all just picking livestock out of an endlessly refreshing field of mobs. Upping the spawn rate would definitely bring some excitement to dungeon crawling at the very least.
This is similar to my armchair designer idea I posted recently.

So, my favorite idea is dynamic respawn rates. I'd actually love to see the paradigm of players spreading out invert and instead motivate players to funnel together, lag be damed. Here's some thoughts I had in Patch Notes format.

TLP 2024: Monster Tide

• Each NPC spawn now has an "NPC heat" level. This heat level is increased when players kill that NPC spawn quickly, and decreases when it is not killed. It provides more difficult encounters and greater rewards
    • Heat level changes as follows:
      • It is a moving average based on the lifetime of of the last hour of spawns, allowing players to "warm up" camps if they are able to kill the NPCs quickly for multiple spawns
      • In order to apply maximum heat for an NPC spawn, it must be killed within 30 seconds of spawning
      • NPCs with a respawn greater than one hour are not affected
    • Heat level makes the spawn more dangerous in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will respawn 4x faster
      • NPCs will have 50% higher damage and HP. This buff is not retained if the NPC is charmed
      • NPCs will be 2x more resistant to crowd control spells like mez, stun, charm, fear, snare, root, blind
      • NPCs will have a 2x higher aggro and social radius
      • NPCs with rare spawns will be 2x more likely to spawn as a rare
    • Heat level makes the spawn more rewarding in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will reward 2x more experience
      • NPCs will reward 2x more loot
    • Maximum heat levels are intended to only be achievable in raids or over-leveled groups. It's intended that a normal group fighting mobs near their level will achieve a heat level that provides half the above difficulty and rewards
    • The values above will be examined each expansion release and tweaked as necessary to ensure the proper amount of loot is entering the system.
  • Calculations for loot / experience claiming have been adjusted
    • The bug allowing some abilities (Especially DoTs) to overestimate their damage contribution has been fixed. Now only damage actually done to the mob will count
    • Damage shields will now correctly attribute damage, such that a mob injured by a damage shield will count that damage to the owner of the damage shield
  • The experience penalty for being in a raid has been removed
  • Experience bonuses will now be extended to 12 person raids. The bonus for a 6 person group or raid is still 2.56, this scales linearly to 4x for 12 person raids. Raids with higher than 12 people will retain the 4x bonus
It'd be great to see players group together to try and hang on to increasingly difficult waves of mobs in order to sustain maximum rewards with increasing risk. Outside of fighting difficult camps, this would totally break open bottlenecks like Lord Bergurgle, who, once it's been killed a few times would spawn 4x faster, be 2x more likely to be a named and drop 2x crowns, effectively generating 16x more crowns.

The configuration, as stated, might turn everything into a raid swarm loot pinata session and trivializes the entire thing, maybe the 50% hp/dmg/resists makes it too hard, maybe the raid bonuses will work out poorly, I don't know. Making NPCs have a base heat level that actually reduced the spawn rate, difficulty and rewards is interesting and would open up harder areas to less capable groups. Something like this system could be fun but would need tweaking once players tried it out.

And of course, it doesn't solve all the problems that FTE is intended to solve. It'd actually increase trains where a raid would wipe and one dodgy bard drags a super-hot raid of 2x social radius through to the zone-lines. The changes to damage attribution would improve small-scale DPS races and incidentally change power-leveling.

Just dropping the respawn times of a lot of early zones to 25% would fix a ton of issues too.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why so adamant against competing for spawns? Competition for mobs was a key part of early Everquest. When was xp gain nerfed inside a DZ?
As a concept, competing for mobs is great in a game designed for PvP. EQ is not that. Top-tier groups pulling dirty tricks against each other in EQ by training eachother, using showeq, SWATing each others, sniping streams, whatever, gets meta and is kinda fun, emergent gameplay. But for most TLP people just looking to roll a group into an early TLP and get some farming done, the low mob density and competition loop is terrible.

Last edited:

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
As a concept, competing for mobs is great. In a game designed for PvP. EQ is not one of that. Top-tier groups pulling dirty tricks against each other in EQ by training eachother, using showeq, SWATing each others, sniping streams, whatever, gets meta and is kinda fun. But for most TLP people just looking to roll a group into an early TLP and get some farming done, the low mob density and competition loop is terrible.

I would argue that it was an unintended consequence and not really a concept when it comes to early EQ. Competition for late game raid targets was always a good source for entertaining forum drama.

I misunderstood the problem they're trying to solve with FTE ... pretty sure I still do not fully understand it. The modern TLP has made it possible for current and former players/guides/& devs to monetize certain shitty playstyles. Perhaps this will mitigate some of that ... we'll see.