EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lets be real here, there hasnt been a zerg war since Phinny. Its been one OW guild every server since and the rest just do instances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Lets be real here, there hasnt been a zerg war since Phinny. Its been one OW guild every server since and the rest just do instances.

That's exactly the point. The whole reason you typically have one OW guild is because a guild can't kill OW KT with 30 people, because the Batphone guild will just BP and show up with 100 and you just lose. So it creates as situation where if you wanna do OW content you're basically forced to join whoever recruited 300 retards. With FTE you're actually disincentivized from inviting retards into the guild in the first place since you don't need them to help win DPS races.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
28 seconds Seems slow

When it comes to FTE i think it will change the Zerg mentality OW guilds have, since you no longer have to engage with enough DPS to beat the Zerg and just enough to kill the mob. Maybe we can have a server with actual expansion races again instead of a contest to see who can recruit the most retards into one guild. Maybe i'm wrong though and nothing changes on that front.

Either way i'm glad they're beta testing it on a Phinny clone i have no intention of playing on.

Don't see how this changes anything with expansion races. This doesn't affect DZ's and guilds than can 4 split will still key/flag faster than a small guild that gets lucky on an OW kill.

• 1Like

Animosity

That's exactly the point. The whole reason you typically have one OW guild is because a guild can't kill OW KT with 30 people, because the Batphone guild will just BP and show up with 100 and you just lose. So it creates as situation where if you wanna do OW content you're basically forced to join whoever recruited 300 retards. With FTE you're actually disincentivized from inviting retards into the guild in the first place since you don't need them to help win DPS races.
Sounds like you should just stick with WoW or EQ2 then.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
7hb6vv.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
If you're basing on damage, how did you give healers credit?
They'd be in the group with the person(s) dealing the damage.

So while there's still dps racing, there's less incentive to cockblock people from having to DPS race, as ultimately everyone gets loot.

There's a few other factors at play here - like everything being tradable once, then attuned/nodrop forever once dropped, traded, or sold, inventory being accountwide, loot having a system where you can combine two of the same item to make a +2, +3, +4, +5, +6, +7, +8, +9, and +10 version. The combined items can also generate augments of the items in question, too - so you can make the Monk Epic into a clicky augment that can be placed into another piece of gear, or Ykesha proc can be made into an augment item if you combine enough items together with said proc.

Full design: What is Chainbreaker?

Daybreak doesn't have to go as far as I did, though.

EQ could have loot lockouts for bosses which would solve the issue outside of my design. Initially, we had loot lockouts, but decided to go with our 'combine the items to make new items' approach, so loot lockouts didn't make sense, neither did multiple hour long raid respawn timers.

• 2Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
dude above said it right... kunark gonna be a shit show for certain epic pieces... just 1 guy tagging a mob until a buyer is found

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
dude above said it right... kunark gonna be a shit show for certain epic pieces... just 1 guy tagging a mob until a buyer is found

The population is going to be low enough that none of the major flaws in the system are exposed so when they do launch Mischief 2 Electric Boogaloo it's a complete disaster because that server will have an actual playerbase.

• 2Like

AtabishiRetired

Peasant

I don't really remember any zerg wars on phinny. Are you referring to OGC vs AoS? OGC only contested OW spawns during the expansion race, and even then it was rare. There was like maybe 3-4 total DPS races on expansion launches between OGC and AOS classic-pop. They weren't really zerg wars either relative to what you saw in TLP's post phinny. AoS had less than 150 total members at any given time, and OGC never broke 100 members until their peak in PoP which was 129. AoS I believe had some DPS races against Rosengard (think that was the euro guild on there that would do OW on super rare occasion) but overall, phinny saw very little OW contests.

Coirnav is kind of when OW racing was starting to peak it's head again relative to phinny/agnarr. I think over time people got more and more bored of just only doing instances and more guilds were wanting to start to dabble in raid content outside of instances.

Mangler took it up a notch from Coirnav and was the first modern era TLP that really saw the multi-guild zerg wars you are referring to. There was 4-5 guilds on Mangler with 100+ member counts that were at some point trying to do OW content when they saw things up. The DPS races were few and far between, but still more than what phinny/agnarr/coirnav saw.
Selos was also seeing open world races at the same time. Granted OW was only avail for 3(4?) months on that server and it was only between 2 guilds, but still probably saw more DPS races in those 3(4?) months than phinny/agnarr during their period of OW.

Aradune was definitely the peak. There were multiple active batphone guilds on there, and seemed like every new expansion some DZ only guild was attempting to transition in to a batphone guild. There were over 10 guilds with 100-250 member counts. I can't really speak to how many races other guilds were having with each other, but I know that from Classic to LDoN (I left around LDoN time) TEB had a little over 250 actual DPS races against a total of 14 different guilds. That number is not including the hundreds of times other guilds mobilized or poopsocked spawns but ultimately did not engage in a DPS race.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Guilds recruit 300 retards because there is very little that hedges burnout amd general player attrition aside from other people. The more you recruit the more you retain.

• 2Like

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man, people are blowing up the official forums and discord. Almost all negative. At least DPG is starting to respond a bit. Especially in Discord. Seems like they know they have a full blown dumpster fire on their hands. They're merging and removing all kinds of threads. How the hell they couldn't see this coming is beyond me...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

hory

You guys don't understand how this happend......????? Is this a race to the bottom?

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Man, people are blowing up the official forums and discord. Almost all negative. At least DPG is starting to respond a bit. Especially in Discord. Seems like they know they have a full blown dumpster fire on their hands. They're merging and removing all kinds of threads. How the hell they couldn't see this coming is beyond me...

1680834688806.png

If they really want people to test some of this new shit they need to sprinkle a little more sugar on it or they're going to start out with mediocre numbers before getting fisted by D4.

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And I have no interest. Encounter locking in EQ just seems stupid. Just so many ways I can see people abusing it. And by their wording, its everything from killing a mob solo to raids.

Hell just thinking as a bard, the things I could tag and then just kite , preventing anyone else from touching them.

The exp stuff, does nothing for me, never really an alt person at all.

Oh well, will see next TLP.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And I have no interest. Encounter locking in EQ just seems stupid. Just so many ways I can see people abusing it. And by their wording, its everything from killing a mob solo to raids.

Hell just thinking as a bard, the things I could tag and then just kite , preventing anyone else from touching them.

The exp stuff, does nothing for me, never really an alt person at all.

Oh well, will see next TLP.

You could probably have the entirety of skyfire tagged. Offer to join groups (tag rights) for krono.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
View attachment 467797

If they really want people to test some of this new shit they need to sprinkle a little more sugar on it or they're going to start out with mediocre numbers before getting fisted by D4.

Them wanting to use this to "test" their idiotic encounter lock is the only thing that makes sense.

But the absolute shit tier bonuses as the cheese to make the pill easier to swallow are just fucking awful.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Them wanting to use this to "test" their idiotic encounter lock is the only thing that makes sense.

But the absolute shit tier bonuses as the cheese to make the pill easier to swallow are just fucking awful.

They have a Test server but they'd rather make less money by having this be the single annual TLP. I wish we actually had someone with inside info so we could get an explanation as to their reasoning. I can't really make sense of it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
From? Through?

I'm going to sit in the middle of your party enjoying the safety it provides while poaching at my leisure.

View attachment 467702

In theory there's nothing stopping a bunch of people from sitting in the same camp and trying to out-quickdraw each other. Camps will basically be kaput and the better DPS racer will be at the mercy if server latency.

Also, anyone with programs that show spawn timers / respawn eta on a mob are gonna have a massive advantage over everyone else.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In theory there's nothing stopping a bunch of people from sitting in the same camp and trying to out-quickdraw each other.

I expect that to be the case at the premier locations and for it to be a worse experience for everyone involved than just losing and getting pushed out. People are going to fight it out way longer than makes sense getting more and more angry instead of just going somewhere else.

Picture this scenario. Kunark has launched. You and some of your buddies are camping Pained Soul. One wizard from <Enemy Guild> walks over. No problem, it's 5 versus 1. Pained Soul spawns and he targets it and hits his Staff of Temperate Flux basically before the model can be drawn on your screen. He kills it. He leaves. Another Wizard shows up. The entire meta in situations like that, even without just cheating, is to have a macro that is /target X, /useitem Y. I don't know the best way to set that up but I assume multiple lines, maybe more than one hotkey so you can piano them, maybe a pause 1 in there somewhere, whatever. That's it. Hope your internet is good. Some people are going to automate that. Even a generic button presser might be enough.

I would rather have to have a stronger force than deal with that shit. What a mess. Every shit kicker with an instant clicky can show up at any VP key spawn and roll the dice with everyone else. I haven't checked in quite a while, is the VP key quest still basically the same? I know Luclin shards got spread about their corresponding zones rather than necessarily require specific mobs.

• 1Like