EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with the demographics argument to a point, but I feel that if a player is complaining about not being able to find a group on any current TLP ... then that particular player owns about 90% of that problem. Game mechanics cannot replace poor social skills.

Yes ... you will have to sift through a few folks until find people who match your playstyle. Yes ... it's going to be toxic until the new mechanics get tuned.

I have a small handful of quests I like to do in classic ... but I think the key strategy with this server is going to be "... YOU BETTER GET THERE FIRST!"
Or how about not get there at all??

They learn nothing if everybody complains but still logs into the server and plays it. It took a while for people to teach Blizzard that lesson. It took a couple of expansions for people to finally say "That is enough". So the numbers went way down. Now apparently this last expansion was not nearly as bad.

You can complain about the ruleset all you want. The only thing they hear is the large amount of money they make on players addicted to the concept to such a degree that any ruleset could be provided and they would still play it.

They had a shitty rule system last year and I chose not to play it. I will do the same thing this year unless real changes are made.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I agree with the demographics argument to a point, but I feel that if a player is complaining about not being able to find a group on any current TLP ... then that particular player owns about 90% of that problem. Game mechanics cannot replace poor social skills.

Yes ... you will have to sift through a few folks until find people who match your playstyle. Yes ... it's going to be toxic until the new mechanics get tuned.

I have a small handful of quests I like to do in classic ... but I think the key strategy with this server is going to be "... YOU BETTER GET THERE FIRST!"

Lack of low level players after the initial rush has nothing to do with social skills

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wynt

Trakanon Raider
Why does everyone think there is still competition for mobs so much that FTE matters?

The sweatybois that still do that quit 2 weeks of classic anyway. Ntov left full pop like day 3 of Velious on Yelinak.

For the bots: I haven't seen a bot warp in on a raid mob since MVP Oliver Cromwell trained out Tormax throne room on Christmas Day.

Most of the time they're infinitely splitting Trakanon/Vox/Naggy over and over between 2-6 am.

*smacks vein* - see you all May 24

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I'm fine with the ruleset. I'm far more pissed they insist on opening on Memorial Day weekend. They still think the game is full of loser neckbeards who never leave their basement rather then people who have families and actually go outside when the weather turns nice.

Memorial Day is Monday, May 29, this year and the server is scheduled to open on noon PDT, the previous Wednesday. Extended family has plans during this timeframe now ... I was counting on having a level advantage over the pending circus of pixel violence and drama.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Why does everyone think there is still competition for mobs so much that FTE matters?

The sweatybois that still do that quit 2 weeks of classic anyway. Ntov left full pop like day 3 of Velious on Yelinak.

For the bots: I haven't seen a bot warp in on a raid mob since MVP Oliver Cromwell trained out Tormax throne room on Christmas Day.

Most of the time they're infinitely splitting Trakanon/Vox/Naggy over and over between 2-6 am.

*smacks vein* - see you all May 24
Golden Efreeti Boots will probably be heavily contested.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Golden Efreeti Boots will probably be heavily contested.

Less contested and you no longer need to have a box crew to avoid being pushed out.

Everything "toxic" that can be done to "grief" or contest a mob is already doable in one way or another. The only thing FTE will change is you can no longer lose or win based on a numerical advantage.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Well, if you have a raid with 50 people there doing their auto target scripts versus another one of 25, numerical advantage probably still matters some for getting that first engage packet.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
If you aren't relocating to San Diego (or wherever the servers are sitting these days) are you even serious about competing on Oakwynd?

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
"Cheaters" can target and engage the mob before it renders on your client. The only difference now is you have 0% chance against a cheater. At least in the past they would be required to keep enough necros to out race you. Now they can just tap it and take as long as they want to kill it while your group watches. It's actually pretty comfy since you can just sit by an xp group and take all their named while they are busy with other shit and it's very low upkeep in terms of boxes / alts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Well, if you have a raid with 50 people there doing their auto target scripts versus another one of 25, numerical advantage probably still matters some for getting that first engage packet.

So all things being equal you lose 66.66% of the time instead of 100% of the time if you're the 25.

"Cheaters" can target and engage the mob before it renders on your client. The only difference now is you have 0% chance against a cheater. At least in the past they would be required to keep enough necros to out race you. Now they can just tap it and take as long as they want to kill it while your group watches. It's actually pretty comfy since you can just sit by an xp group and take all their named while they are busy with other shit and it's very low upkeep in terms of boxes / alts.

Because nobody "cheats" by using VMs and bringing too many toons for you to have a chance to win.

There isn't a named a Necro can solo that is in a camp they can't handle solo anyways. In the age of pick zones why contest a named when you can just go to an open pick and camp it. There is little to no reason or value in doing what you're saying. The XP group can just sit on the named and race for the first tag. The Necro in this scenario is better off going into an pick where the camp is empty rather then trying to "cheat" and control a contested pick.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So all things being equal you lose 66.66% of the time instead of 100% of the time if you're the 25.

Because nobody "cheats" by using VMs and bringing too many toons for you to have a chance to win.

There isn't a named a Necro can solo that is in a camp they can't handle solo anyways. In the age of pick zones why contest a named when you can just go to an open pick and camp it. There is little to no reason or value in doing what you're saying. The XP group can just sit on the named and race for the first tag. The Necro in this scenario is better off going into an pick where the camp is empty rather then trying to "cheat" and control a contested pick.

You're not accounting for the laziness factor and examples like solb, where you have 2 picks and then one closes... What do you do when pick 1 is camped? Well, were gonna go visit efreeti and try to tag and its not even against the rules.

Classic giant hill is going to be for the first time, not a complete shit show where melee's can actually earn some plat.

There's some good with the idea, I think people just need to give it a shot. It'll definitely be a new experience. Small man raids can actually compete in open world and potentially not get griefed while they do an attempt.

Im hoping the expansion bonuses get moved around and improved in some areas. Would definitely be nice to have an xp bonus in classic and another gimmick to make the server as interesting as vaniki/mischief were. Free trade is so popular because it helps in a few problem areas on TLPs that the playerbase hates.

The whole boxing situation with the alt xp bonus is clearly an oversight they didn't really think or care about.

Servers desperately need catch up mechanics even as early as mid kunark, as little pain as possible getting up to what people want to play would have to help player retention.

Sometimes people just get bored of a class, have regrets or envy of the FOTM class and the idea of leveling another character feels bad and I can imagine they just say fuck it and cash out.

Fix this shit Jchan.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Can people be shitty when it's numbers that decide everything? Sure. Can people be shitty when it's FTE? Yep. The issue I keep having with FTE is that it is going to be so very, very not chill. EQ's a pretty chill game most of the time and this is going to make more of the game stressful more often.

There isn't a named a Necro can solo that is in a camp they can't handle solo anyways.

Let's say you're in a group doing Fungi King and some Necromancer just starts standing around. Can he solo that camp? Sorta? Can he solo a King that is all by itself? Yep. Are any shitbirds going to try poaching from your group? Yessir. Needing everyone in the group to have /target macros, instant click items, to stand on the spawn point and to run timers is not going to be a good time. But in the old system you could get pushed out of a camp by someone with more characters! That is true and that is also shitty but it takes more people than whatever you've got. FTE lets a single person be a dickwad and be a dickwad 100% within in the confines of the rules. With something like Pained Soul or Rotting Skeleton for the VP Key you'd typically bring a group or so if you could to keep the scavengers at bay. FTE lets any rando walk up and take his chances no matter how many people are there. He knows it and you know it. Is it the best use of an individual's time? Maybe not. Will people do it anyway? Uh huh. And there's nothing you can do about it.

If you get pushed out, outmatched, outraced That's EQ Baby (tm). The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. Having the entirety of an encounter be decided by who got aggro first and nothing else is going to feel really, really bad. It's going to be frustrating. People are going to lose their shit over it. You can't even try to race or pull it away or anything. You get to stand there with your dick in your hand as some other guy fucks your froglok. You're going to have people in your guild that lose two tags in a row and log off forever because they refuse to sit in the hotel cuck chair.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Vaniki at least was a server concept that had been discussed by the community before. "Hey let's do a tlp that unlocks levels instead of expansions." The problem with it, and Mischief before it, is that there was little to no thought put into how it would actually function before releasing it.

My biggest gripe here is that DBG just seems to not think at all about the changes they're making before they do them. Its as if someone has an idea, it gets approved in some meeting, and they just go for it. And also this one is just random: it's not even like anyone really asked for these things. This is what happens when the game devs are out of touch with the game, or not even avid fans/players of the game.

It's fairly disheartening. Anyways, big skip for me unless it's an era locked server hue hue.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Will FTE be a thing in instances? Seems like you could split one group off just to kite trash or whatever and the lock and reset mechanism would really change what you could skip.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
.....Having the entirety of an encounter be decided by who got aggro first and nothing else is going to feel really, really bad. It's going to be frustrating. People are going to lose their shit over it. You can't even try to race or pull it away or anything. You get to stand there with your dick in your hand as some other guy fucks your froglok. You're going to have people in your guild that lose two tags in a row and log off forever because they refuse to sit in the hotel cuck chair.

That's F T E Baby (tm)

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users