EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Even if it has a moment of interaction immunity on spawn, the MQ2 script will still tag it faster than a human the moment it is available to be FTE'd. A human will never beat a bot to tag the mob.
Not only that, rather than benefiting casuals, it just adds more odd engine/server specific arcana that they have to know about in order to compete. The knowledge gap grows. If the unlock happens on the server tick, regular people who have no idea what a server tick is are going to see it as random and capricious.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Maybe I'm being naive, but it does seem like there is an outside chance they may decide to scrap the whole FTE idea, prior to Oakwynd's launch? 🤷‍♂️ Hard to ignore the dumpster fire that is about to occur.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even if it has a moment of interaction immunity on spawn, the MQ2 script will still tag it faster than a human the moment it is available to be FTE'd. A human will never beat a bot to tag the mob.
I agree, but I'd much rather lose to a bot because bot was running at 1ms on a PC with a 100ms less ping than I have when I'm spamming that ability at 200ms, vs the bot simply being able to attack untargetable and invisible mobs a second before I can.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm being naive, but it does seem like there is an outside chance they may decide to scrap the whole FTE idea, prior to Oakwynd's launch? 🤷‍♂️ Hard to ignore the dumpster fire that is about to occur.
Their decisions are so grossly out of touch that it's impossible to predict whether they will do the rational thing and push back Oakwynd or ditch FTE for at least the original release (where it'd probably be most impactful,l lol)

It'd be completely inline for them to release an absolute mess with broken FTE.

Jasper

Their decisions are so grossly out of touch that it's impossible to predict whether they will do the rational thing and push back Oakwynd or ditch FTE for at least the original release (where it'd probably be most impactful,l lol)

It'd be completely inline for them to release an absolute mess with broken FTE.

They really must hate $. As it stands now, I just can't seem to talk myself into playing this, and I REALLY want to play on a new TLP. I would love to try maining a new class and duo boxing a little for the first time. If they dropped FTE, I would buy 2 full sets of bags for 2 separate accounts, today. I have to believe bag sales are way down this year?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
They really must hate $
I'd buy into the conspiracy that they want to resource action the entire CS staff and so are trying to codify policy into the engine, but DPS racing was never actually a petitionable thing so I don't know wtf they are trying to fix.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
2) If a mob attacks you, you will have the ability to respond to the mob. This means if a mob attacks you, the encounter will break and the mob will become FFA which means it's just a DPS race. Right now this seems to only be applying at certain times and is ignoring certain things in the calculation. In general, it seems like the 'checks' for breaking an encounter are not firing as often as they should. For example, runing and sitting next to a target on pull will break the encounter 100% of the time. If you are able to peel mobs onto someone but remain out of melee range, the mob will still attack someone lower on the hate list than you, and since they're lower, it will not break the encounter and they are stuck tanking an invincible mob.
Grief Scenario #001:
  1. Group, "we are so going to beat that farmer on this named mob! Yeah.. Fuck him! LOL"
  2. Mob spawns
  3. Group engages
  4. Group, "Get fucked farmer! We RULE!!! LOL"
  5. Farmer cleric heals himself
  6. Mob hits cleric
  7. FTE encounter broke
  8. Farmer Necro casts
  9. Farmer gets loot
  10. Group, "Fuck this game! I'm out of here!!!"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Lessening the contribution of ebolt / HT in Classic/Kunark would do enough to ease most people's complaints with KSing. Someone actually doing the damage without a class having 'I win' button at least gives a group a chance against a pair of necros and feels more fair.

For breaking the encounter, there are ways to guarantee a mob attacks you over everyone else.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't sound very fun. Even worse as I usually play bard and it sounds like its a giant headache. Can't imagine if you start using AE songs and how it affects y axis aggro in tight dungeons. Or somehow share aggro between two raid groups, as in a lot of encounters in open world, everyone uses the same setup spots.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I'd play day one just to stream it, but honestly, I get more viewers on average from streaming Lotro than I ever got from streaming EQ.

I say that because I don't think people actually realize just how small is the EverQuest community.

It isn't going to take many back-to-back bad TLP years before there aren't enough people still playing the game to justify another one. This year is ruined. It's that simple. If they fuck up next year's TLP season, I'd bet its over.

• 1Like

Jasper

I'd play day one just to stream it, but honestly, I get more viewers on average from streaming Lotro than I ever got from streaming EQ.

I say that because I don't think people actually realize just how small is the EverQuest community.

It isn't going to take many back-to-back bad TLP years before there aren't enough people still playing the game to justify another one. This year is ruined. It's that simple. If they fuck up next year's TLP season, I'd bet its over.

Totally agree! Add to that, Pantheon Alpha / Beta ( potentially ;) ) , Baldur's Gate 3, etc. on the horizon. A wasted TLP year, seems like such a horrible miscalculation on their part.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only really annoying KSing was with certain quest mobs, they've done a lot to reduce that problem over the years already (rare epic spawns increased, triggered mobs loot locked, VT shards dropping from random mobs etc). It seems like less effort to tackle the remaining problem drops than it does to write a whole bunch of complex new code that's going to break a lot of stuff and fundamentally alter what makes EQ EQ.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had hoped to casually duo here. I am now starting to heavily lean back to solo necro or skipping. What really gets me is that even if it was working exactly as intended, it would still be terrible, because it's a terrible concept behind the terrible implementation. At this point wow has abandoned encounter locking and most post wow mmos that copied it also abandoned encounter locking. The literally only place I can think of where it worked well was albion, which had full pvp areas to mitigate issues.

They don't need to fix this. They need to scrap it, and tell whichever employee is behind it to shelve their ego and move on.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They don't need to fix this. They need to scrap it, and tell whichever employee is behind it to shelve their ego and move on.

I'm hoping they announce that they do not believe FTE is likely to meet their high standards in time for launch so it will be implemented later and by later I mean it is quietly murdered with a pillow when no one is looking.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
I'd buy into the conspiracy that they want to resource action the entire CS staff and so are trying to codify policy into the engine, but DPS racing was never actually a petitionable thing so I don't know wtf they are trying to fix.

Because KSing is likely only one major source of petions, training and PLers pulling entire zones that people are trying to experience in would also contribute a lot. If FTE hindered those things as well it might have reduced the CSR workload, but as is it's gonna be shitfest and they will be dealing with more petitions than ever before.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh most definitely that is the bulk of the petitions. Have you even met the player base? I thought I could help Zaide with the guild on Mischief and between the constant push for 3am raiding and the incessant complaining - I noped the fuck out. So I totally understand the desire of developers wanting to experiment with systems that lessen customer service, especially if they are themselves - customer service.

• 1Like

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why they wanted to make this complicated system when instead they could have just done something way simpler like lower the standard pick threshold so people can spread out across picks.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Or speed up spawn times on a per expansion/zone basis. They complained in the past that picks were very resource intensive but I'm not sure if that's still the case since they gave everyone AoCs.

• 1Like