EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For some reason I only remember sro being in. I could be wildly mistaken but I do not think the ef one near ice giants was in. The good news is, you can just not go to faydwer and be fine. Unrest is overrated and overcrowded.

I hear ya. My static group wants to do Steamfont > Unrest though. Which I'm fine with, but not my first option either. My Yelinak static group had pretty good luck in Unrest last year though. Binding in GFay will work. It's only for 6 levels. Me and another DE group member will just make the run at 4 when they get invis. Bit of a PITA, but kinda adds to the fun too...

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
so these aren't really classic EQ experiences? exp penalties/bonuses are gone, and there are soul binders for melee?

What else is different?

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
so these aren't really classic EQ experiences? exp penalties/bonuses are gone, and there are soul binders for melee?

What else is different?

my guess is the zones are all the new versions of the zones and not reverted, like north ro and oasis, east commonlands. etc.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

What else is different?
Theres nothing really classic left. They have added way too much to TLPs since they started. And if it was on live, it was gonna be on TLPs. The only thing that keeps it some what classic is spells and AAs are tied to expansion releases.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I thought EF was in because melee would bind there for faster Vox batphones. I don’t recall the BB one being in but I never fuck with Faydwer. SRO is 100% in.

Edit: Checked my discord history and I was telling people to use it in 2017.
View attachment 474141
Yeah I remember binding there in classic.

The one in BB is not there, but you can bind in that location if you have a friend with you that can bind you.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I hear ya. My static group wants to do Steamfont > Unrest though. Which I'm fine with, but not my first option either. My Yelinak static group had pretty good luck in Unrest last year though. Binding in GFay will work. It's only for 6 levels. Me and another DE group member will just make the run at 4 when they get invis. Bit of a PITA, but kinda adds to the fun too...
Almost everyone goes to Unrest. It will have a lot of picks open for it. The experience is fast, but... and this is a huge butt, there are so many people there and the spawns are so few with long respawn timers that you end up fighting for spawns a lot. If you can get a fairly empty Unrest pick, you're golden. If not, expect it to be fast, but with a lot of down time between experience bumps.

For that reason, some people choose other routes. Your speed runs avoid Unrest don't they Zaide Zaide ?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
As much as I do NOT want to help the idiot who came up with this FTE idea out by playing on this new server, the reality is that my brother is going to drag me there kicking and screaming because he still has nostalgia with EQ. /sigh Someone just shoot me now and get it over with already.

So, now I have to decide on a class and all that shit. Will be looking for a guild that raids but doesn't get all butt hurt when you don't show up every single time because fuck that. I'm old and have other shit in life besides just EverQuest. Not ass kissing, but Zaide had the best setup on Mischief. DKP, no attendance requirement, just show up and do your thing, spend your DKP, enjoy the game. Anybody got a guild like that going for this damn server?

Jasper

As much as I do NOT want to help the idiot who came up with this FTE idea out by playing on this new server, the reality is that my brother is going to drag me there kicking and screaming because he still has nostalgia with EQ. /sigh Someone just shoot me now and get it over with already.

So, now I have to decide on a class and all that shit. Will be looking for a guild that raids but doesn't get all butt hurt when you don't show up every single time because fuck that. I'm old and have other shit in life besides just EverQuest. Not ass kissing, but Zaide had the best setup on Mischief. DKP, no attendance requirement, just show up and do your thing, spend your DKP, enjoy the game. Anybody got a guild like that going for this damn server?

Check out Golden Roosters. That's who I went with. Seem pretty legit so far. I hear ya on the FTE thing. I don't like it either, but I still want my classic thru PoP nostalgia. I actually think the FTE will be a net fail, but it might add a little bit of unexpected flavor to things too. We shall see I guess.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Check out Golden Roosters. That's who I went with. Seem pretty legit so far. I hear ya on the FTE thing. I don't like it either, but I still want my classic thru PoP nostalgia. I actually think the FTE will be a net fail, but it might add a little bit of unexpected flavor to things too. We shall see I guess.
I'm not going to lie. I like the heirloom rule and some of the expansion unlock rules are interesting for the long haul.

The experience gain thing is designed ass backwards. The way it should work is the following:
  • Experience gains should be expansion locked... meaning you don't lose your experience gain multiplier the second the next expansion unlocks. It should remain for all levels up for which the gain was obtained. In other words, if you got 3 characters to max level in original content, you would have 30% experience gain for levels 1 to 50 on new characters even after the Kunark expansion is opened
  • Experience gains should be applied on a curve rather than instantly at the end of the leveling range for the expansion. In other words, for original content, you should get a 1% boost after your first character reaches level 10 for any character below level 10. 2% for each character level 20 for all characters level 1 to 19. Continue that up until you hit the max for that level range
That way there, there is an actual incentive to leveling multiple characters on one account, it would be additive while you are actively leveling the current content as well as previous content for alts you create and want to catch up on. It feels very unhelpful to make it so that you ONLY get the experience bonus after each character hits max level for that expansion and then the experience bonus goes away immediately when the next expansion opens up. Why would my level 15 alt not continue to get bonus experience until he hits level 50 after Kunark opens? Its counter productive.

And the FTE... that's just stupid to the nth degree. Such a bad design goal for a game like EverQuest. It's only going to cause a lot of issues, open up new exploits, and allow the nefarious individuals to have yet another way to fuck with the average players.

Oh.. and I will pass on the Golden Roosters, Golden Rapiers, Golden what ever they call themself this time. I don't roll deep.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Roosters has a pretty big roster going into launch too. Shouldn't have too much trouble finding people to group with.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>

What else is different?
Depends how far back you go. Off the cuff you have basic shit like target of target, seeing debuffs on the target. You then also have 'new' things like xtar and aggro meters on by default. Mounts, poisons, potions out of era. All the 'new' PoR shithole zones like ugly freeport. The krono economy, pick zones, no corpse runs, soulbinders in town, origin AA, banestrike, etc.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate being the designated puller every group or i'd be a ranger/monk lol
im torn if i wanna go full gay and do a wizard this round or go back and be an enchanter since i havent done that since whatever that POP server was called

Crazy. I love being the puller. 1000x beats sitting in camp waiting for mobs. So much more interaction and playing. Maybe its just that feeling after so many years as a wizard in live, where all I did was sit in camp, stand, nuke, sit.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not going to lie. I like the heirloom rule and some of the expansion unlock rules are interesting for the long haul.

The experience gain thing is designed ass backwards. The way it should work is the following:
  • Experience gains should be expansion locked... meaning you don't lose your experience gain multiplier the second the next expansion unlocks. It should remain for all levels up for which the gain was obtained. In other words, if you got 3 characters to max level in original content, you would have 30% experience gain for levels 1 to 50 on new characters even after the Kunark expansion is opened
  • Experience gains should be applied on a curve rather than instantly at the end of the leveling range for the expansion. In other words, for original content, you should get a 1% boost after your first character reaches level 10 for any character below level 10. 2% for each character level 20 for all characters level 1 to 19. Continue that up until you hit the max for that level range
That way there, there is an actual incentive to leveling multiple characters on one account, it would be additive while you are actively leveling the current content as well as previous content for alts you create and want to catch up on. It feels very unhelpful to make it so that you ONLY get the experience bonus after each character hits max level for that expansion and then the experience bonus goes away immediately when the next expansion opens up. Why would my level 15 alt not continue to get bonus experience until he hits level 50 after Kunark opens? Its counter productive.

And the FTE... that's just stupid to the nth degree. Such a bad design goal for a game like EverQuest. It's only going to cause a lot of issues, open up new exploits, and allow the nefarious individuals to have yet another way to fuck with the average players.

Oh.. and I will pass on the Golden Roosters, Golden Rapiers, Golden what ever they call themself this time. I don't roll deep.

As mentioned Golden Roosters has no affiliation with Rapiers and they have past pedigree of being a competently run guild that can get shit done.

Jasper

Oh is it not the same guild? I assumed it was the same "we roll deep" constant spamming guild as on the last few TLPs.

Nope. Golden Roosters has been on Mangler for a long time. They just decided to do Oakwynd. I'm not an expert on the history or anything, but they seem to be a well respected long term OG style group of raiders.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Is everyone going to try this out then? Semi concerned about the pop, havent done a TLP in EQ since the first one launched a very long time ago

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If you want a solid reputable long term guild I think Roosters is the best bet. If you want to race for firsts and do OW then the guild FTE led by Phatez is the place to go. It was a small guild of like p99 types but he absorbed (merged) with Legacy for a bunch of warm bodies. Phatez is the dude who ran Seal Team on Green and was also the first max level world wide in WoW Classic.

Pharone Pharone I usually do newbie zone, Lavastorm, SolA, SolB, oot since the zem changes.