EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The people that cannot be bothered to fill empty slots in classic, replace aging gear, or camp augments as the game ages drives me insane. These are usually the same people who save all their DKP so they always get the shiniest new weapon that drops, but nevermind they are still wearing velious gear while in omens of war.

I used to be one of those people, until I saw other people doing it enough to realize what trash play it actually is to DKP hoard for the latest shiny thing at the cost of a high median standard gear level. Zerker might be the only class that maybe has an excuse for this kind of "chase one slot" DKP usage since their weapon is their most important slot by far and they only have one of it. Even then there's no excuse to fall behind elsewhere, cause your DPS is zero when you're ded.

Camping augs is another very underrated thing that a lot of people miss. As things progress, augs become more and more important. LDON has some +skill% and +AC augs that don't get replaced for ages. OoW has some very potent augs for basically all classes, plus Flameshield Stones and the other AC aug from RSS that can fill like ten slots. DoDH has about 10 slots worth of AC augs that improve on those, for tanks, that make a substantial difference if you take the time to camp them in Dreadspire.

Then much later on there are the Type 5 slot augs that make huge differences in your heroic stats. Camping the latest Type 5 Heroic Dex heavy aug for all the slots it'll work with (visible IIRC) makes a big difference in melee damage output from level 105 onward. Camping as many as I could equip of the Claws of Veeshan Type 5 HDex aug from a named mermaid in Cobalt Scar was a lot of work but I ended level 115 doing a lot more damage than I started it.

The aug game is a whole other sub-layer of EQ that lets you get the most out of your stats. People who don't bother with it are not only not maximizing their performance, they're also missing out on a metagame that can be a lot of fun.

BardLight

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm willing to believe but it's gotta be more than your own words when I never saw anything like that. Any other GiG players in here? If there was ever a 14 or even 12 cleric rotation under any circumstances, then yes, that is completely ludicrous. Even if you had that many clerics, it'd be better for them to be nuking or doing something else.
I'm not here to start any beef, but I'll add in some comments from what I observed in my time in GiG (from server launch until Luclin start, participating in probably 90+% of all DZ and OW kills). This is only what I remember, as I don't keep logs and messages as religiously as some do.

I don't recall there ever really being an issue with too many clerics in the chain. I think most of the time if there were a lot it was because people had brought along a box, but most had just an average number of 5-8ish. I don't remember any event where it felt like a kill was too slow because of a cleric CH chain. Most events (DZ and OW) were divided up pretty equally with what classes were available. If anything, I remember that most OW spawns were killed so quickly that if you were not online or nearby your computer when the call to raid came out, you risked getting left out of the action. That makes it seem weird that there is a complaint of raids taking too long.

I also specifically remember issues with cleric healing in raids, as certain people would repeatedly be targeting thhe wrong person after a tank swap (doing so for several rounds) and I was surprised as I expected a higher skill level from the person, considering they are (at least in EQ) famous to a certain degree.

--------
As for the gear issue, GiG certainly started to be strict on it. I think they had to be, to a certain degree, because people were most certainly buying up gear (which ends up raising the prices for other people) to sell on the market for personal gain. This ends up hurting the guild by a certain amount, as those interested in investing in their character had to spend more to get it, or people who were selling too much were not maximizing their character as much as they could.

EQ gear can absolutely be a crutch to help weaker players be stronger, but if you take the same player and have them in good gear or bad gear, the character when geared is going to be better. That in turns makes raids more effective than if they have missing or cloth armor spots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not here to start any beef, but I'll add in some comments from what I observed in my time in GiG (from server launch until Luclin start, participating in probably 90+% of all DZ and OW kills). This is only what I remember, as I don't keep logs and messages as religiously as some do.

I don't recall there ever really being an issue with too many clerics in the chain. I think most of the time if there were a lot it was because people had brought along a box, but most had just an average number of 5-8ish. I don't remember any event where it felt like a kill was too slow because of a cleric CH chain. Most events (DZ and OW) were divided up pretty equally with what classes were available. If anything, I remember that most OW spawns were killed so quickly that if you were not online or nearby your computer when the call to raid came out, you risked getting left out of the action. That makes it seem weird that there is a complaint of raids taking too long.

I also specifically remember issues with cleric healing in raids, as certain people would repeatedly be targeting thhe wrong person after a tank swap (doing so for several rounds) and I was surprised as I expected a higher skill level from the person, considering they are (at least in EQ) famous to a certain degree.

--------
As for the gear issue, GiG certainly started to be strict on it. I think they had to be, to a certain degree, because people were most certainly buying up gear (which ends up raising the prices for other people) to sell on the market for personal gain. This ends up hurting the guild by a certain amount, as those interested in investing in their character had to spend more to get it, or people who were selling too much were not maximizing their character as much as they could.

EQ gear can absolutely be a crutch to help weaker players be stronger, but if you take the same player and have them in good gear or bad gear, the character when geared is going to be better. That in turns makes raids more effective than if they have missing or cloth armor spots.
Well, that certainly matches my memory too, for the cleric stuff and needing to already be online to have any chance of getting in on the action for OW.

And the gear thing is dead on too, I think because both leadership and members had differing ideas of how GDKP should actually play out. IIRC, Krims was much more FFA about it and Qelyn was the one to keep adding restrictions. There were definitely people spending hundreds of kronos in Velious and still having bronze/mesh/cloth/whatever from classic. For some people, that was absolutely working as intended, but for others, it was obvious that this was detrimental to the guild and the effect would only get worse later on. Eventually you had to be at the raid where the item dropped to bid on it, period, and that seemed to resolve a lot of the issues (and more of the straight resellers moving on).

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still want to know what harm an unnecessary number of ch clerics caused or how putting 10 in a rot (GiG aside, I did this routinely way back on combine and at least a couple times on selo, but not sure I had 10 to work with often there) hurts mana retention or efficiency. I still don't understand how needing cleric med breaks even could be the fault of ch chain size. What is the actual problem besides being simply not needed? Where is the harm?

As for gear checks, did those guys do that shit on other servers or just mischief? Certainly none I was in. Seems to be a free trade kronolording issue specific to there, and addressing its issues. I stand by my statement that lacking a minimum of gear over time (not a fresh char or first offense) shows a lack of desire in the person, and people who don't really give a shit and are just floating along are the slowest people. This has to be doubly true on a gdkp raid; the people not even trying to be equipped are clearly just there to collect a paycheck split.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've seen I think one formal gear check ever and even then it was "hey, at Sky today we were checking out people's gear and a few of you got tells. You shouldn't have empty slots at this point so take care of it before we're up here again." Everyone must have went and put on some stuff that said +anything because we never heard about it again.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Come on, Bro. Healing the correct person is just parse padding and is 100% the fault of long ch chains.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
A good example that I can give from my experience was GIG on Mischief who I raided with in velious/luclin. They took gear checking to the highest extreme of any guild I had ever been in or heard of. It appeared to me to be their primary focus and concern, yet raids there were the slowest and most inefficient raids I had seen since phinny when motm was new and no one knew what they were doing.
I was in that guild, it was appropriate. It was the first time guilds were raiding with droppable No-Trade gear. It was more about making sure people weren't joining naked and stealing the raid gear with their krono pp.

Was a great guild, I forget the ogre warriors name who led it mostly.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
People need to understand Atabishi just constantly makes shit up. There’s no reason to take it seriously.

Three Navy SEALS.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
People need to understand Atabishi just constantly makes shit up. There’s no reason to take it seriously.

Three Navy SEALS.
Hey man, he cited himself as proof of his claim. You can't get any more iron clad truth than that.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure there's a reasonable middle ground between Anal probing everyone to check they have the best gear possible, and just not giving a fuck and letting people show up half naked or sell their loot right after they get it.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant

Three Navy SEALS.

I mean, I know you are aren't the brightest, most clever, most socially adapted person out there....but even the most socially inept people can come up with a new joke that's taken out of context from a story that I'm not even the original person to tell it. Even socially inept people don't reuse and repeat the same tired "joke" over and over. Although there is a part of me that kind of enjoys it, as it allows me to more easily filter out the retards, but I'm sure there are some new ones you can come up with.

Should I start asking if you've doxxed anyone lately every time I reply to you, just to make sure it hasn't happened again?

That being said, have you doxxed anyone lately?

Pooch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I get the going out of mana on clerics early on I always play a gnome cleric and shits rough during classic and even most of Kunark, but once velious hits with faction pants there’s no reason you can’t ch and pad from then onwards all this talk about healing this or that with anything over 5 cleric is easy street. Hell just telling one necro to be on the look out for you when you know you’re under geared goes along way etc

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean, I know you are aren't the brightest, most clever, most socially adapted person out there....but even the most socially inept people can come up with a new joke that's taken out of context from a story that I'm not even the original person to tell it. Even socially inept people don't reuse and repeat the same tired "joke" over and over. Although there is a part of me that kind of enjoys it, as it allows me to more easily filter out the retards, but I'm sure there are some new ones you can come up with.

Should I start asking if you've doxxed anyone lately every time I reply to you, just to make sure it hasn't happened again?

This is everquest. You want us autists to drop something, let it go, move on, or anything like that? Fuck no. You're navy seal fighter forever now.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
This is everquest. You want us autists to drop something, let it go, move on, or anything like that? Fuck no. You're navy seal fighter forever now.

A AtabishiRetired i hear people still talk about the navy seal thing all the time. It’s been so long I don’t even remember the original post anymore. Maybe it’s time to set the record straight once and for all?

how many seals were present ?
How many actually participated in the fight?
Did they all participate simultaneously or was it champion style 1 at a time?
Who won? What was the criteria for victory?
any other notes or challenges?

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A AtabishiRetired i hear people still talk about the navy seal thing all the time. It’s been so long I don’t even remember the original post anymore. Maybe it’s time to set the record straight once and for all?

how many seals were present ?
How many actually participated in the fight?
Did they all participate simultaneously or was it champion style 1 at a time?
Who won? What was the criteria for victory?
any other notes or challenges?
Yeah Zaide Zaide or others have brought that up so many times that I am compelled to hold an immediate oversight hearing. Zaide, please present evidence to the Court of Shitposters that such a boast took place and the details there in, with original sourcing of such an event.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah Zaide Zaide or others have brought that up so many times that I am compelled to hold an immediate oversight hearing. Zaide, please present evidence to the Court of Shitposters that such a boast took place and the details there in, with original sourcing of such an event.

porkchop sandwiches poop

Bronze Knight of the Realm

hey are you the Atabishi that was in The Nameless Tribunal on Phinny way back when it first started?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

That's weird, you gave a completely different excuse for it before.

Must be hard to keep track of your lies when you tell so many

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure there's a reasonable middle ground between Anal probing everyone to check they have the best gear possible, and just not giving a fuck and letting people show up half naked or sell their loot right after they get it.

What's the metagame for making kroners in a GiG / Mischief type GDKP scenario?

Attend raids to collect the paycheck without bidding on anything you don't have to?

Bid on things and sell them in EC instead of equipping them, like a prick?

Bid normally and get your gear upgraded, going for BIS if possible, and sell your old gear on the open market for more than you paid for it, since most of the server won't have the same access to that level of gear?

Offload no-longer-needed gear as quick as possible while it still retains value?

I feel like there are likely a number of viable strategies for getting ahead in this scenario and it's probably a lot of fun to game out. GDKP is much more tangible than sitting on a pile of DKP.