EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
yerm yerm DickTrickle DickTrickle

What am I missing here? I don't think we should have a Mischief 2.0, how does that contradict what I have posted?

Why shouldn't they try a repeat of the most popular TLP server? If they were going to repeat ANY TLP server, why not the one who has been most populated? TLP is half their revenue so just ignoring TLPs is probably not an option.

You might suggest, well, let's try something new. The problem with that is that their track record of trying out new TLP ideas is very hit and miss. Why not try that worked before, again? The Phinny clones have done well though it's clear their draw is waning some.

I get that it's your opinion. It just happens to not be one really supported by any compelling argument. I'm not sure you even understand why people play TLPs.

Last edited:

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved mischief but I am of the opinion they should never do another mischief if the want to keep releasing tlps every 12 months.... That ruleset is so popular that it diminish any server without that ruleset. The more distance between mischief and new servers the better. Doing the occasional mischief would only renew effect that ruleset had on people.

Also mischief was the most exploited server since at least Agnarr which caused a bunch of issues.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I loved mischief but I am of the opinion they should never do another mischief if the want to keep releasing tlps every 12 months.... That ruleset is so popular that it diminish any server without that ruleset. The more distance between mischief and new servers the better. Doing the occasional mischief would only renew effect that ruleset had on people.

Also mischief was the most exploited server since at least Agnarr which caused a bunch of issues.

Or make the things that are so popular about it standard going forward, and then they can add dumb shit like TLE and it will still be popular

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
When the server has native bonus exp, native bonus AA exp, native bonus loot and you've got a couple max level characters in your stable providing more bonus exp while you're doing bonus DZs of the most premium targets of whatever era you are in it'll probably be pretty cool. Right now it's a little bland.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
When the server has native bonus exp, native bonus AA exp, native bonus loot and you've got a couple max level characters in your stable providing more bonus exp while you're doing bonus DZs of the most premium targets of whatever era you are in it'll probably be pretty cool. Right now it's a little bland.
But it will be awesome, and that's something to look forward too.

Wynt

Trakanon Raider
We are past the eras where I normally quit on TLPs but based on the kill trackers it seems like Mischief is vastly more popular than other servers in similar eras. Consider that as recently as last month they told us that the server was still too populated to remove afk kick. Also it’s been shown to be much more active than Yelinak which launched a year after it.

As far as I am aware when we talk about population retention it goes Mischief, then Mangler and then a big gap before landing on Phinny/Aradune.

Mischief has 22 raiding guilds that I am aware of, plus probably a few more under the radar. Thornblade has another 6. At least 3 guilds atm are splitting all content, and 2 of them are pulling in like 100+ sign ups per raid night with minimal boxing.

I think the “perfect” server for an absolute jackpot population boom would be:

FV Loot
Double Drops (or Mischief loot)
Launch with Kunark open
8 weeks per expansion
Merge LDoN with PoP
Merge DoN with Omens
Merge PoR with DoDH
Classic zones (Commons, Ro, Nek, Lava, Freeport, Highpass)
Redo ZEMs the week before launch.

You forgot "where raid mobs can identify as any other raid mob and use their abilities"

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would like every day at 9pm est all raid mobs respawn at once. Give us that new expac race feel.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

This is it really. The rules on Oakwynd have potential, but they are way too conservative early on when the game is it's most boring. Having another 8 weeks of Kunark ahead of of us with '25% bonus loot' as the only hook is gonna be rough to get through.

By the time PoP rolls around and you've got some XP bonuses/couple max level dudes this server might be sweet, but that's right about when the 25th is gonna launch and probably murder the server population entirely.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
that's right about when the 25th is gonna launch and probably murder the server population entirely.
I see this sentiment that DPG is going to swing for the fences on the 25th anniversary, what's this based on?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I see this sentiment that DPG is going to swing for the fences on the 25th anniversary, what's this based on?

It's based on everyone in my guild/on the server talking constantly about how they are basically done on Oakwynd when/if a 25th launches.

It won't even have to really be a special or fancy ruleset to completely drain the Oakwynd population based on the general sentiment of the current players.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I believe JChan basically said Oakwynd was a test server for future TLPs and things they want to add to live. And there was some hype from DPG about big things for the 25th anniversary.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
No, but I do believe that these forums are a good sample size of people that like playing EverQuest. If we aren't that in to a server, it says a lot.

Normnally i would agree, but honestly this is the first TLP i have done where it seems like half or more of the player base are from P99 or are new to TLP so who knows. I could see this bouncing back once more content opens. Shit, I burned out and abandoned by Bard at 44 because I just got tired of Guk or Sol camps. Im picking back up once Kunark drops and we get some more options, then ill go in for raid content. I literally forgothow bad Classic can be without anything else.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The PoP, LDoN and Gates of Discord perks aren't very good either. Oh shit double tribute everyone definitely going to stay on Oakwynd!

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think there is enough to get them to GOD for super fast zerker alts then like most woill drop off in GOD and OOW

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
My concern is that people are going to burn themselves right the fuck out leveling and maintaining several copies of the same character to do extra raids in Velious and Luclin so they can be extra more bis than they've ever bissed before and then just be done forever. Anyone left is going to get a month in to PoP doing double or triple Time instances each week and have a total existential freakout mid-raid. The whole legacy exp heirloom item separate lockout timer combination looks more like a salting of the earth than sustainable features you would want to import to other TLPs or the rest of the game as a whole.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My concern is that people are going to burn themselves right the fuck out leveling and maintaining several copies of the same character to do extra raids in Velious and Luclin so they can be extra more bis than they've ever bissed before and then just be done forever. Anyone left is going to get a month in to PoP doing double or triple Time instances each week and have a total existential freakout mid-raid. The whole legacy exp heirloom item separate lockout timer combination looks more like a salting of the earth than sustainable features you would want to import to other TLPs or the rest of the game as a whole.

I think velious will be fine because it requires almost no keying. But luclin will be brutal and pop even worse flagging a bunch of alts.

Zish

Trakanon Raider
I was so hoping they would just redo Mischief this year. It would've been really fun. Just couldn't bring myself to play on Oakwynd, it's just pitiful in comparison. Oh well. Here's hoping they listen for next year.