EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What is a perk Paladin?

I'm guessing he's referring to how the Challenger Perk makes it impossible to de-level for $2.99 a month. So 0% rezzes are suddenly awesome, as they cast faster than cleric rez sticks.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty far from being broken or that amazing, honestly.

Yeah it isn't like there's a whole lot that you need to death rush to win. A Sleeper kill will be significantly more doable if anyone ever wants to try that again, I guess.

Anyone remember offhand if the Sleeper kill was in-era for Velious? I remember it being in 2003 or 2004 but it was Zek and I don't know how Zek worked. As I recall they were level 60, but I don't know if they had Luclin gear/AAs. Given the timeframe they might have been 65. Be interesting to get people together to pull that off a second time even though there's kinda zero reason to.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah it isn't like there's a whole lot that you need to death rush to win. A Sleeper kill will be significantly more doable if anyone ever wants to try that again, I guess.

Anyone remember offhand if the Sleeper kill was in-era for Velious? I remember it being in 2003 or 2004 but it was Zek and I don't know how Zek worked. As I recall they were level 60, but I don't know if they had Luclin gear/AAs. Given the timeframe they might have been 65. Be interesting to get people together to pull that off a second time even though there's kinda zero reason to.
Pretty sure it happened during the PoP era.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
The perk was nice during classic when fighting lots of deathtouching mobs, perked up tanks could just eat DTs all day and get 0% rezzes from Paladins.

What's broken about it is allowing casters to solo bind rush mobs they couldn't easily solo otherwise, bind near mob, nuke, die, pop up with 20% mana, repeat. Sure you could always do that but the experience loss made it cost prohibitive, now there is no penalty for eating 20 deaths to take down a mob.

DickTrickle

I don't know about being broken. How often is that even useful, especially outside of the very early game? Anything a single caster could kill by bind rushing a group could easily kill.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much only really useful for Planes gear farming, like a Necro or Druid bind-rushing the mobs that drop their equipment in their off time. Bringing a single group to Fear at 50 is a pain, going there and death-rushing your way to some armor is very time-efficient compared to trying to break in with a group / have to roll things off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Atabishi Forgot Password

Silver Squire
The perk was nice during classic when fighting lots of deathtouching mobs, perked up tanks could just eat DTs all day and get 0% rezzes from Paladins.

What's broken about it is allowing casters to solo bind rush mobs they couldn't easily solo otherwise, bind near mob, nuke, die, pop up with 20% mana, repeat. Sure you could always do that but the experience loss made it cost prohibitive, now there is no penalty for eating 20 deaths to take down a mob.

When did they change it to where you permanently restore at 20% mana or is that part of having the perk? At least up to Aradune, after like 5-6 deaths you revived at 0% mana. I only specifically remember this because there was something we were doing where we had like 10 necro alts bound and FD'd on top of each other at a spot watching for a spawn and people would often bring AoE mobs to clear us out which would put us in a death loop. We would release and instantly FD, but if they were persistent with keeping the AoE mobs there we would eventually revive with 0% mana and not have the ability to FD upon releasing, so we'd have to bring a couple groups there to clear it out.

As far as Paladins go, there are a lot of cool things and tricks you can do that only work with a paladin when it comes to raiding that are FAR more beneficial to a raid than anything an SK would bring. There is a reason on Aradune that I played a wizard til end of velious then switched to a paladin. I didn't want to play either of those classes, but I switched to paladin for very specific reasons and this was before the perk system which makes several of those reasons even stronger. One single paladin can allow you to kill bosses with a lot less numbers than it would normally require, and it's by far the best class at saving a raid from wiping. SK's are stronger than Paladins in Classic, but then paladins are 100x better on raids until GoD where there starts to be more of a reason to have an SK around. If I had to pick between 1 paly or 5 SK's to take on a raid during the normal TLP cycle eras, I'm taking the 1 paladin. I don't know how long the things im referring to last in the expacs but I know most of it works at least up in to the 70's era but that's mostly irrelevant to 90% of people since the normal TLP cycle ends at around GoD or Omens.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I don't know about being broken. How often is that even useful, especially outside of the very early game? Anything a single caster could kill by bind rushing a group could easily kill.
Guys on Oakwynd were soloing Fear Golems with it. You could probably do dragons too using the super low resist Druid dots.

For Paladins and SKs remember that LoH and HT refresh every death and 0% rez is quite mana efficient.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Guys on Oakwynd were soloing Fear Golems with it. You could probably do dragons too using the super low resist Druid dots.

For Paladins and SKs remember that LoH and HT refresh every death and 0% rez is quite mana efficient.

Right, it's the Lay on Hands refreshing on death that makes the difference. You can die over and over and over taking rounds of attacks that aren't going in to the main tank's face while popping back in with a free complete heal. With Luclin the LoH AAs add a huge heal over time on top. A really challenging fight like Emp gets way, way easier when you have a Lay on Hands HoT constantly rolling.
When did they change it to where you permanently restore at 20% mana or is that part of having the perk?

I don't know how things were on Aradune but you always respawn with 20% mana. It takes a full server tick for that to happen so you can sometimes go what feels like forever without your mana coming back and die again before it does.

That's kind of the thing though. Single characters are now competing for content that would have taken a group before.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider

LoH resets, HT does not.

Saw a Wizard give bind rushing Draco during Kunark a good crack, maybe 2 could have done it. Don't see too many groups pulling that off.

Last edited:

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Emp wraiths drop 40 rifts.

You sure about that? I thought it was 20? and IIRC on Aradune, TEB had to kill 2 Emps, 1 ow and 1 dz in order to get the record (at the time) for AHR kill.

Also there was the infamous OGC cucking of AoS to win Luclin on that server by sniping the wraiths from AoS when they got the first ow Emp kill.

Atabishi Forgot Password

Silver Squire
You sure about that? I thought it was 20? and IIRC on Aradune, TEB had to kill 2 Emps, 1 ow and 1 dz in order to get the record (at the time) for AHR kill.

Also there was the infamous OGC cucking of AoS to win Luclin on that server by sniping the wraiths from AoS when they got the first ow Emp kill.

We only did 1 emp kill in a DZ prior to going to VT. It drops 40 rifts. We couldn't do emp in OW prior to the race being finished. I believe we only had about 18-20 keyed for emps room when we did it. We keyed 5 warriors, 1 sk, 2 paly 1 cleric and the rest were wizards/necros/mages and maybe a melee or two that were able to get bane weapons prior to going. Funny enough, the pull got messed up some how and 4 out of 5 of our warriors instantly died before emp was engaged and instead of just resetting we ended up killing it with 1 warrior that tanked it 100-0.

In the OGC vs AoS thing, dima was able to snipe about half their rifts and then deleted them, which is what caused AoS to have to get a second emp kill. OGC only did 1 emp kill on phinny prior to VT.

On aradune, a couple weeks prior to luclin there were a couple people in AM that are longtime known hackers on every server they play and another person in some other guild that I cant remember name of that claimed when we did emp in open world (thinking that we wouldn't be able to pull it off in a DZ and such a short time and still beat the record) that they would 100% steal all rifts. This sparked someone to investigate it and saw that the day prior to them making this claim that all the rift mob waypoints had been added to whatever MQ program was popular on aradune. So we figured if we killed emp in OW they would warp in and get the kills before the mobs even rendered. So we knew 100% we had to kill it in a DZ.

Prior to luclin, kubat and I actually found a way to cheese an emp kill inside his room if you only wanted to take the time to key a few warriors then head straight to emp, I believe the method still works since I've never heard it brought up before. We thought about using it as a backup plan if some how our rifts were sabotaged.

Atabishi Forgot Password

Silver Squire
I don't know how things were on Aradune but you always respawn with 20% mana. It takes a full server tick for that to happen so you can sometimes go what feels like forever without your mana coming back and die again before it does.

It wasn't a server tick thing because sometimes we could med enough to get 1 FD off. Maybe something exclusive to kunark and below? or something that the perk gives you? No clue, that was only situation ive ever been in where you would die over and over in your bind spot and needed mana on respawn.

DickTrickle

Heh, I guess I've just been away too long. I actually played a paladin and had the perk but forgot about that facet. It was pretty handy to make low count Emp kills a lot smoother. LoH the MT, taunt before the big nuke and die, then repeat.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
You also have guilds bind rushing Vindi currently and attempting to bind rush AoW and instead losing a dps race after the mob unlocks at 70%

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

First time I saw this used was a mage killing Captain Rottgrime for his epic. I just knew it would be used for bigger targets lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Am I correct in thinking that warriors have zero way to get snap aggro in Classic?

Paladin and SK can yoink mobs off of an enchanter in a hurry. Paladin can also drop heals on said enchanter. Paladin's probably the best enchanter backup as far as tank classes go.

Warrior though, I see Warrior being a total pain in the ass in a 1-50 static, trying to get taunt to work, getting blamed for everyone getting beaten on. Just a very unenjoyable experience, while with Paladin I should be able to hold down the 1-50 fort easily the same way it is with SK. Non-damage stuns are perfect for enchanter rescue and stopping CH-casters, plus you can root runners. All things I often end up having to do anyway in statics even if it's not my primary job.

Kunark's 51-60 rush comes along and Warriors have some real good tools at their disposal, much better gear, and a taunt button that works.

Classic looks like a PITA for a Warrior though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Heh, I guess I've just been away too long. I actually played a paladin and had the perk but forgot about that facet. It was pretty handy to make low count Emp kills a lot smoother. LoH the MT, taunt before the big nuke and die, then repeat.

Server-first Emp on Vaniki server, I took a bunch of DTs taunting him off the warriors. In-between, though, I wasn't really able to do much. HT doesn't refresh on death. I don't remember what I did, but I think it was meager DPS until the next DT.

Had I been a Paladin I could have been dropping LOHes on tanks between DTs and we probably would have kept the main tank alive throughout instead of having to cycle. Either there were no paladins there or they weren't good enough to do this (can't remember, think maybe there was one?)

This is one place where a Paladin would have been way better than an SK and I'm sure there are a bunch of others.

Course, you probably wouldn't be able to get the LOH HoT AA before a server first Emp fight under any circumstances, so...