EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
People that are going to box are going to do it regardless of the one client per box rule. On Mischief - we filled entire raids in classic with boxes and people whined and tossed shit at the walls cause our mains were in the raid they were doing. If anything, True Box HURTS the player that thinks True Box is good for server health.

I don't understand why you think i'm arguing how things should be. I just telling you DBG makes more money when they slap the "truebox" label on shit. Which is why they will keep doing it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't understand why you think i'm arguing how things should be. I just telling you DBG makes more money when they slap the "truebox" label on shit. Which is why they will keep doing it.

Got data to back that up? Wasnt rizlona that was full on boxing, but it launched with the other that was 1 box allowed. Both were about normal in popularity in a double server launch from what I remember. Both were classic starts with everything else normal, which people were slowly getting tired of already. Mischief really revived it with trying something completely new(random loot and FV loot really helped the classic start not be just another boring run).

I find most people dont mind general boxing, 1 extra or a guy just doing 1 group himself. What they tend to dislike though is one dude doing an entire raid(which was never all that popular anyway).

Curious how many are like me. Even if allowed to box, might do 1 other to farm/solo stuff with on occassion, but never really group/raid with it at all.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In fairness AE PL groups are one of the biggest blights on the TLP game.

Who do they hurt? The people trying to pug 40+? We can see clearly post nerf that they were not blocking access from others; their spots just went empty.

I think any sane person could argue that your rmt shit is a bigger blight than leveling services.

yerm

Got data to back that up? Wasnt rizlona that was full on boxing, but it launched with the other that was 1 box allowed. Both were about normal in popularity in a double server launch from what I remember. Both were classic starts with everything else normal, which people were slowly getting tired of already. Mischief really revived it with trying something completely new(random loot and FV loot really helped the classic start not be just another boring run).

I find most people dont mind general boxing, 1 extra or a guy just doing 1 group himself. What they tend to dislike though is one dude doing an entire raid(which was never all that popular anyway).

Curious how many are like me. Even if allowed to box, might do 1 other to farm/solo stuff with on occassion, but never really group/raid with it at all.

Rizlona had less characters (so significantly less people given the rulesets) while aradune despite the ruleset pulled the overwhelming majority of rmters. Since rmters follow basic economic rules, it follows that aradune had the vast majority of people throwing real money at eq. I am assuming here, but I would bet hard that aradune players being real money spenders must have bought WAY more bags, illusions, krono, and potions than rizloners did.

The people who whine the loudest against boxers and blame boxing for their miserable lack of groups are the same people who pay real money for shit and reroll every new tlp release. They're the whales of the game and must be catered to.

Brandler

Bronze Squire
Check out this poll at eqprogression.com

Pretty damning numbers. Huge if true, etc. Vaniki could not possibly be more of a dumpster fire, and looks like Free Trade is the holy grail.

Last edited:

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I usually skip a year then play a tlp till around luclin pop before losing login motivation.

After missing Mischief I would be down for a classic TLP, but only if it was some kind of theme like only random guild and can only group with other randoms / no boxes.

DE mask would be going for a premium with all those hideous combinations.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

Aradune was stricter truebox alongside Rizlona, it was announced as Truebox + only 1 box allowed total. Rizlona was like 1/5th of the population of Aradune for the first year at least. Aradune probably made DBG more money in Classic-PoP then it will off Rizlona from Classic-Live. The reason they slap truebox on everything is because it makes them more money. There's probably more people playing on P99 right now then all the TLPs combined and the only way DBG gets to tap into that market is with a Classic-PoP that restricts boxing.

Personal i haven't played on a Phinny style TLP since Phinny and won't play on one again. Doesn't change the fact that it's really popular for them though.

The people who whine the loudest against boxers and blame boxing for their miserable lack of groups are the same people who pay real money for shit and reroll every new tlp release. They're the whales of the game and must be catered to.

Most of the people that dislike boxing consider it cheating.

• 1Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who do they hurt? The people trying to pug 40+? We can see clearly post nerf that they were not blocking access from others; their spots just went empty.

I think any sane person could argue that your rmt shit is a bigger blight than leveling services.

AE PLers take entire picks and are extremely aggressive in defending everything they are pulling which is normally most if not all of the zone. Its not a big problem once most move to the deep. But in Lower Guk, Sola, Velketor, Seb its a real big problem that affects a large number of normal players.

• 1Pathetic

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Aradune was stricter truebox alongside Rizlona, it was announced as Truebox + only 1 box allowed total. Rizlona was like 1/5th of the population of Aradune for the first year at least. Aradune probably made DBG more money in Classic-PoP then it will off Rizlona from Classic-Live. The reason they slap truebox on everything is because it makes them more money. There's probably more people playing on P99 right now then all the TLPs combined and the only way DBG gets to tap into that market is with a Classic-PoP that restricts boxing.

Personal i haven't played on a Phinny style TLP since Phinny and won't play on one again. Doesn't change the fact that it's really popular for them though.

Most of the people that dislike boxing consider it cheating.
When you say 1/5 the population are you referring to the number of real people or the number of accounts? Because the guild I was in literally was about 500 active accounts, with 90% of them playing on a regular basis up through GoD. Elderan was posting numbers and he said it was something like 4000 a night on Aradune, which would in no way correlate to those numbers you're saying.

Most of the people on these boards like to talk about Rizlona as if it were some failure, when it truly was anything but. The population was incredibly healthy all the way into GoD, with large box crews, people who boxed 1 group, people who boxed 2-3, and even a fair bit of solo players. I'm willing to guess most people saying Rizlona was a failed project never even logged into the server.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
I know this gets said a lot but I have no interest in playing on another TLP until they get rid of the truebox bs. At least let people 2 box from the start. I kinda hope these servers crash so they get their heads out of their ass for next year.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
When you say 1/5 the population are you referring to the number of real people or the number of accounts? Because the guild I was in literally was about 500 active accounts, with 90% of them playing on a regular basis up through GoD. Elderan was posting numbers and he said it was something like 4000 a night on Aradune, which would in no way correlate to those numbers you're saying.

Well then clearly DBG just hates money. Fuck man. If only DBG just liked money then truebox would be gone.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Check out this poll at eqprogression.com

Pretty damning numbers. Huge if true, etc. Vaniki could not possibly be more of a dumpster fire, and looks like Free Trade is the holy grail.

Not that damning. Vaniki got 19% of the vote and Yelinak got 24%, which is a somewhat negligible difference. The majority not being interested in trying either IS a bit damning for this year's TLPs in general, but it could just be fatigue. Hard to say without previous year polls to compare it to.

Most of the raid-level / competition-oriented players seem to be at least checking out Vaniki, while Yelinak is attracting more of the family guild types and TLP jumpers. Which is always going to be a larger crowd by volume.

I do think Vaniki has taken a bit of an interest hit by restricting the achievement rewards so much. Putting a 999 next to the ornament type rewards and adding more rewards (where are the titles?) would instantly boost the hype for Vaniki, at no cost to DBG.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Most of the people on these boards like to talk about Rizlona as if it were some failure, when it truly was anything but. The population was incredibly healthy all the way into GoD, with large box crews, people who boxed 1 group, people who boxed 2-3, and even a fair bit of solo players. I'm willing to guess most people saying Rizlona was a failed project never even logged into the server.

Would be hard for us to directly compare those numbers.

People who box several accounts are more likely to play every day while truebox servers are more likely to have super casuals that log in for an hour or two a week

yerm

Would be hard for us to directly compare those numbers.

People who box several accounts are more likely to play every day while truebox servers are more likely to have super casuals that log in for an hour or two a week

On top of this, I suspect pretty heavily that most boxes do not buy shit like 40 slot bags.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Well then clearly DBG just hates money. Fuck man. If only DBG just liked money then truebox would be gone.
If your logic is based on dbg knowing how to maximize profit, doing what's good for the game, and giving the players what they want then you havent been paying attention for the last 22 years. Although, I will concede new management have made some positive steps over the last 2.

Are you the one that was solo spearheading the anti box crusade on the officials?

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
If your logic is based on dbg knowing how to maximize profit, doing what's good for the game, and giving the players what they want then you havent been paying attention for the last 22 years. Although, I will concede new management have made some positive steps over the last 2.

Are you the one that was solo spearheading the anti box crusade on the officials?

My logic is that DBG knows 25 is a larger number then 10. They had 2 servers that launched on the same date with everything the same other then the boxing rules. One server made them a larger number, it's not hard to understand. I'd imagine somewhere around OoW Rizlona got closer to equal what Aradune was bringing in, hence why they're going with relaxed truebox starting in OoW.

I don't post of the official forums anymore. I rarely even read them outside of patch notes/day. My personal opinion has always been they should limit boxing by number to 2 or 3 and actually enforce the rules, they're not gonna do that so i don't really give a fuck at this point.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My personal opinion has always been they should limit boxing by number to 2 or 3 and actually enforce the rules, they're not gonna do that so i don't really give a fuck at this point.
That's the problem. Truebox would be "fine" if they actually enforced it. They don't, at all. And they never will, because they have a team that is small/lean as shit.

So, in the end, it only ends up hurting Johnny Casual - the same retard bitching about a server "needing" Truebox. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and many of the morons on the forums don't even realize it. I think the "compromise" of relaxing Truebox around GoD/OoW is great and wish they'd do it to ALL their servers.

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
That's the problem. Truebox would be "fine" if they actually enforced it. They don't, at all. And they never will, because they have a team that is small/lean as shit.

So, in the end, it only ends up hurting Johnny Casual - the same retard bitching about a server "needing" Truebox. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and many of the morons on the forums don't even realize it. I think the "compromise" of relaxing Truebox around GoD/OoW is great and wish they'd do it to ALL their servers.

I half agree. It definitely hurts the casual boxer more then it does the "20 boxing RMT kronolords". Which is why all the more casual boxers hate it.

But like the people that want true box want less boxing, so they don't really give a shit that it hurts the casual boxer more. To them less boxing = better. It doesn't really matter who's doing the boxing.