EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
How are you accessing Prestige Homes? May be a silly question but can you get to any of them or only ones within available zones? I was thinking about getting the Felwithe Mansion but was afraid there would be some catch to that since guild halls are not available yet....
There is a thing you click in Freeport or Qeynos to get them. The person that owns it can also go get a portal and put it in your house, so you can go from your house to it directly. That's what we are doing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
What guild would you all recommend for est? I don't want a sweaty guild like Boomer Council, but not casual either. Never Quest seems alright. What about Fabled? They say they raid but it looks like a zerg guild.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Whispers of Mutiny, Enigma, Flow State, Unknown, Boomer Council, Mayhem, Ultimatum. Those are the ones that are raiding right now and clearing prismatics, iirc and are EST-friendly-ish.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Are there any Euro guilds? I was thinking of giving this a go until Vaniki removes truebox, but I don't really care to invest time in it if no one else is online when I am.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Are there any Euro guilds? I was thinking of giving this a go until Vaniki removes truebox, but I don't really care to invest time in it if no one else is online when I am.
Sacred is one. I'm also in that guild. They've cleared prismatics and such.

Raids are a bit full. I think there's a few other Euro guilds like <Marr> nvm they're EST

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fired this up last night, and honestly, I have no idea how anyone can play it. I remember playing EQ2 on launch day, think I lasted a month then bailed. Came back to it when they released the Fae and had a great time as a Fae Dirge (it was like playing FF14 currently as a new player), but it was pretty bad compared to everything else back then. Now? I can only see ppl playing for some sense of nostalgia, there is nothing enticing about the game at all vs. anything else out currently. Too bad they couldn't just speed up auto-atk, even its dmg was minor, just having your character be doing something between firing off the dozens of skills would be nice. Hell, having auto-atk be 3x faster would allow the game to get rid of 1/3 of class skills at the least.

I got to a decent level in this recently (can't remember what level) and was surprised at how fast the levels FLEW.

However I also found myself pretty bored compared to normal EQ. Without the nostalgia component (having never really gotten into this when it was current) I also don't know how playable it is. The Vanguard emu definitely seems more appealing to me, having spent a similar amount of time there (4 hours or so).

I'll still probably get to max level in EQ2 just to have done it and to tour the world. I imagine at this point in time it's doable in like a week given the speed of exp and the soloability of everything.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played some. I sailed to the mainland, then went to halas and got a delivery quest. An hour or so of running later I found out the delivery area is not in the game yet. Thanks.

Then I ran up to the first quest person I saw and the quest was to kill 10 rats. Snakes and beetles too but still. 10 rats.

I'd like to check out the Halas area since snow areas are my favorite type of game level theme. How feasible it is to get there on an Iksar SK who started in Neriak? Can I run there in my travels without getting nuked by KOS racists? Would I be better off just starting a new character with Halas as their home town?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
EverQuest 2 goes to 64bit tomorrow.

This resulted in MASSIVE performance gains on beta. I'd be interested in seeing how everyone here runs the game tomorrow on Extreme Quality - it's pretty much just a recompilation under 64-bit under the hood code-wise (along with pointer alignment changes, etc...)

I'm going to be undertaking the same task on an unrelated game soon, professionally, not in a hobby - so it'll be interesting to denote experiences with this upgrade.

The Windows on Windows 64 (WoW64) translation layer is notoriously slow, so I'm curious how much this game gets.

Before Hawken shut down, I had made a build that ran on DX9 and 64-bit. It sucked, because we announced the shutdown of Hawken for PC at the same time as discovering this.
64-bit DX9 ran about double the performance of the DX11 renderer, and when compared to 32-bit, was about another 20%+ FPS gain, and had more consistency on frame times.

So I'm extra curious about how EQ2 runs across more than just my hardware (threadripper 1st gen, 2070 GTX, M.2 SSD), which went from 39 FPS in Everforst to 135 on Extreme Quality.

See:

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I got to a decent level in this recently (can't remember what level) and was surprised at how fast the levels FLEW.

However I also found myself pretty bored compared to normal EQ. Without the nostalgia component (having never really gotten into this when it was current) I also don't know how playable it is. The Vanguard emu definitely seems more appealing to me, having spent a similar amount of time there (4 hours or so).

I'll still probably get to max level in EQ2 just to have done it and to tour the world. I imagine at this point in time it's doable in like a week given the speed of exp and the soloability of everything.
EQ2, just like most MMORPGs, is only fun when playing and interacting with others. The game itself is just a laundery list of tasks to complete (just like every MMORPG ever made lol). I highly suggest joining a guild with cool people to hang out, and seeing how the raid game plays. There is a lot of prep work (questing) for raiding, so I feel like if you don't do the raiding side of the game, you are probably missing a good chunk of the experience of the game.

I'd like to check out the Halas area since snow areas are my favorite type of game level theme. How feasible it is to get there on an Iksar SK who started in Neriak? Can I run there in my travels without getting nuked by KOS racists? Would I be better off just starting a new character with Halas as their home town?
Much like Darklight Woods (Neriak) for the evil side, Frostfang Sea (Halas) was a full new player experience addition to the game. It would be better experienced by creating a new character and starting in Halas to play through it.

EverQuest 2 goes to 64bit tomorrow.

This resulted in MASSIVE performance gains on beta. I'd be interested in seeing how everyone here runs the game tomorrow on Extreme Quality - it's pretty much just a recompilation under 64-bit under the hood code-wise (along with pointer alignment changes, etc...)

I'm going to be undertaking the same task on an unrelated game soon, professionally, not in a hobby - so it'll be interesting to denote experiences with this upgrade.

The Windows on Windows 64 (WoW64) translation layer is notoriously slow, so I'm curious how much this game gets.

Before Hawken shut down, I had made a build that ran on DX9 and 64-bit. It sucked, because we announced the shutdown of Hawken for PC at the same time as discovering this.
64-bit DX9 ran about double the performance of the DX11 renderer, and when compared to 32-bit, was about another 20%+ FPS gain, and had more consistency on frame times.

So I'm extra curious about how EQ2 runs across more than just my hardware (threadripper 1st gen, 2070 GTX, M.2 SSD), which went from 39 FPS in Everforst to 135 on Extreme Quality.

See:
I'm looking forward to checking this out in four hours when the servers come back up.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting group I just joined heh

EQ2_000026.png

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I swear I'm never gonna get the crown HQ finished. Soulsek Eye groups are like BRD groups from WoW, someone quits/rages half way through.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
SE is one of the coolest and most annoying zones ever designed. I miss massive zones like that in current MMO that take a lot of work to get to the bottom without wiping. (Maybe I just miss the idea tho)

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
SE is my all time favorite dungeon. The sky bridges and the fire giants are absolutely epic.

• 1Like

Rucket

Golden Knight of the Realm
The fact that they gutted Warlock's Curse of Darkness without any sort of communication is wild to me. I've also been told the gear in the upcoming Splitpaw/Bloodlines raids is all level 40 which is... a bit demoralizing. Already having trouble finding items worth a damn to spend dkp on.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The fact that they gutted Warlock's Curse of Darkness without any sort of communication is wild to me.
It's because it was absolutely absurd in PvP and I'm assuming they blanket patched it without putting any more thought into it.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The fact that they gutted Warlock's Curse of Darkness without any sort of communication is wild to me. I've also been told the gear in the upcoming Splitpaw/Bloodlines raids is all level 40 which is... a bit demoralizing. Already having trouble finding items worth a damn to spend dkp on.

1657241695640.png

Small update. Itemization has 2 weeks to fix.

Attachments

• 1657241684962.png
    1657241684962.png
    31 KB · Views: 14

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I really think that had a great thing going with Varsoon's. Multiple instances of a lot of zones even still but honestly I think they should have opened Splitpaw and Bloodlines probably with Vanilla or a matter of a couple of weeks into it. I also think KoS should have been much quicker than another what 14-16 weeks? EQ2 really hit a good stride right around Rise of Kunark imho.

I would have probably released DoF within 4-6 weeks, KoS 6-8 weeks, EoF 8-10 weeks, and then RoK 10-12 weeks. I would have rolled out each expansion starting quickly and then made duration a bit longer as they progressed through content. I think the servers are really going to die out... Assuming these dates are accurate from a Reddit post I was reading earlier, I just don't see how folks will make it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've really been loving it but a lot of the content has already been consumed and it's a long way off before we get anything else. Maybe the ebbs and flows of WoW (Wraith / Dragonflight) will make it work out but we'll see.

ExpansionDate
The Shattered LandsMay 24, 2022
Desert of FlamesSeptember 27, 2022
Kingdom of SkyJanuary 10, 2023
Echoes of FaydwerMay 9, 2023
Rise of KunarkSeptember 12, 2023
The Shadow OdysseyJanuary 9, 2024
Sentinel's FateMay 7, 2024
Destiny of VeliousSeptember 10, 2024