EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
As for the cities, Freeport & Qeynos are 2 zones now, the neighborhoods will be open but not have any quests in them. Just places to go and get a bit of nostalgia.

Returned to EQ2 recently for a bit and was surprised at how high level (and few and far between) the quests and mobs in the Antonica zone were. Forgot that there actually used to be low-level zones WITHIN Qeynos that you spent a while in. The new player experience is very different now.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
As long as they bring back the Curt Schilling boss.

Attachments

• curt.jpg
    curt.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 49

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I did some world first raiding during KOS/DOF/EOF Which I think was Peak Eq2. Tempted to re-install but honestly I'll just get mad and ruin the good memories. Game went to shit and Daybreak is shit.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I wish I could remember raiding in EQ2. I remember having a good time but I have done so much WoW raiding over the years I'm just out of mental space. Our WoW guild really surprised me and said they wanted to try this. A lot of them missed EQ2 due to WoW but i've always been a sucker for the game. I still think it is incredibly underrated game (at least the KoS - RoK). I'm not saying it's better than what's out there or ever has been in years but they did a lot of good things and in its prime was an a great experience. Unfortunately, it stood toe to toe with a giant for a long time and everyone had their EQ feel and frustration so I get it.

I'm hoping we get a few good months out of it. If nothing else, we'll get to dungeon crawl, tradeskill, and have some fun with housing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
That's awesome man. Yeah I think that EQ2 got overshadowed greatly by WoW. If anything, SoE should have pushed an advertising campaign hard while people were waiting between expansions on WoW. It could have gotten people to look their way while waiting around with nothing to do.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
And.. don't get me wrong. When EQ2 came out, it was a cluster fuck to the extreme. The game barely ran on good computers, and some of the design decisions were pretty bad. They fixed a lot of that over time, and the game that we have today in EQ2 is a lot better than it initially was when it first released. Now as for the modern expansions... jury is out on that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If anything, SoE should have pushed an advertising campaign hard while people were waiting between expansions on WoW. It could have gotten people to look their way while waiting around with nothing to do.
It wouldn't have mattered, really. Not only did SoE screw the pooch on their initial handling of the game(Isle of Refuge experience was a mess, having to sub-sub class, then subclass, then class, etc.), but you couldn't even run the fuckin' thing decently on a typical PC until 2010ish.

Listening to Shawn Lord give interviews, it's really no wonder the game released in such a terrible state. It's honestly a feat of triumph they were able to turn it around as much as they did somewhere around the EoF timeframe. By then it was mostly "too late" though.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
It wouldn't have mattered, really. Not only did SoE screw the pooch on their initial handling of the game(Isle of Refuge experience was a mess, having to sub-sub class, then subclass, then class, etc.), but you couldn't even run the fuckin' thing decently on a typical PC until 2010ish.

Listening to Shawn Lord give interviews, it's really no wonder the game released in such a terrible state. It's honestly a feat of triumph they were able to turn it around as much as they did somewhere around the EoF timeframe. By then it was mostly "too late" though.
True. EoF was a good expansion. I think with out EoF, the game would have gone ahead and died off.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
They definitely made some odd decisions with this game. Not having 'core' abilities on short CD's like most MMO's but instead a ton of similar abilities on longer CD's. If you take the time to get your macros right it ends up being comparable in terms of button pressing. But still, a strange design choice.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Case in point, here's my assassins macro for just the non-stealth/position attacks.

Untitled.png

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
God damn, I was gonna roll an assassin. If thats one macro I might just not play this lol.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
God damn, I was gonna roll an assassin. If thats one macro I might just not play this lol.
That's on live which has a lot more levels. And i only have 5 or 6 macros for non-situational abilities, so it's not as bad as you think. As I was saying before, that macro is roughly equivalent to spamming Sinister Strike as a rogue in WoW.. it just looks very inelegant because of how many abilities there are.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
They definitely made some odd decisions with this game. Not having 'core' abilities on short CD's like most MMO's but instead a ton of similar abilities on longer CD's. If you take the time to get your macros right it ends up being comparable in terms of button pressing. But still, a strange design choice.

I think it makes sense with the Heroic Opportunity system in mind. Though you can distill any class down to an optimal rotation in a bubble, each of those abilities has a sigil associated with it that advances the group combo system. If you made use of it, you could achieve some very powerful effects through using Heroic Opportunities; there was one that involved Priests and Scouts to create an infinite mana regen loop for your healers that was really useful.

Unfortunately, most HOs were marginal benefits that weren't worth the effort it took to pull them off, so a lot of people just macro their abilities. I prefer having all four hotbars of abilities though, especially on classes like Swash where I may want to prioritize debuff order differently depending on the fight.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
There was one awesome Heroic Opportunity that was easy to pull off and gave power back. It was quickly nerfed, because they wanted to keep the whole HO system underwhelming.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
For those looking for class info, ran across this guys videos today. He goes over the basics for each class in the classic era. Fighter vid below, but he also has a priest series on his channel and sounds like he intends to do mage + scout soon.

So this guy just finished his series so I figured I'd post the videos here if anyone is interested. I found them to be a good reference for what each class gets and what roles they fill in classic. I do kind of wish he'd broken tanks out the way he did the others classes but w/e still useful if you're considering what class you want to play

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
After reading this thread, I'm gonna run a Necro on EQ2 eventually and see as much content as I can solo. Liked the first fifteen levels or whatever I did back in 2008. Might as well when I have an all-access EQ sub anyway. Have unfinished business with WoW and LOTRO, and an ongoing EQ1 thing, but I'll fit EQ2 in somewhere.

This TLE sounded pretty cool until I saw the 3 month unlocks. As someone who doesn't plan to spend much time on it (maybe a week on each expansion, playing a couple hours a day?) waiting for unlocks has like no appeal.

Any suggestions for lively servers to play on?

And is it particularly feasible to solo my way up and get a good look at each expansion as I go?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Any suggestions for lively servers to play on?

And is it particularly feasible to solo my way up and get a good look at each expansion as I go?
I'm not EQ2 expert, but TLE is going to be the only real lively servers in the entire game. Yes you can solo and see the majority of content, especially on a necro. Raiding isn't really anything special for the first few expansions anyhow IMO.