EQemu - Nagafen's Lair (Reborn)

WHAT DO NOW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I have a bunch of gear from Guk if any newer players need. It's probably crap to what the other guys can offer, but hey it's worth a shot!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just want to rant about some of you fuckers for a second (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, I'm not really "mad" just annoyed).

This level 65 quest shit, I went off on a bit of a tangent in game. The quest is written incredibly poorly, and people in the guild defended it by saying that it's meant to be epic, whatever. You're all a bunch of fucking hypocrites. With how big the world is, and how many random NPC's, there's not a SINGLE person who was able to complete the quest without someone telling them how to do it.

The quest dialogue from the rat fucker is basically "Yeah, hopefully you ran into someone in your travels who knows how to remove a brain from a head" or some shit like that. Oh, and you have to have been wearing that head piece to actually know who this person is (so technically, "running into them in your travels" isn't happening).

With how long this server has been up, and how poorly written and VAGUE the dialogue is, there's literally no one that could have completed it without someone at the very least telling them which NPC's to talk to. Jysin mentioned that this is how the epics are, and that's bullshit. I just ran through two epics, and they all tell you at the very least who the next person in the chain in. They may not tell you what to do/say/give that person, but there's at least a hint. I'm sorry, but who in the fuck is venturing into Crystal Caverns EVER when Velious is essentially level blocked til 60?

I get that it's now a rite of passage or something to have your items burned by turning it into the wrong npc, but don't act all sanctimonious like you figured that shit out on your own.

Once again, just ending this that I'm not really upset. It's just a little ridiculous how some of you are acting with being secretive about this fucking quest. This isn't a hardcore server where that needs to be necessary, and worse, you'd hope guild members would be more helping (outside of the fact that every has been super helpful in actually doing the flagging and helping with the items -- you're all awesome in this sense). It's just bizarre to me, especially with how helpful everyone is in downing flag mobs, that this quest is this strange area where everyone wants to be mum.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
who in the fuck is venturing into Crystal Caverns EVER when Velious is essentially level blocked til 60?
This is honestly my largest gripe with the server. There is a FUCKTON of content that is literally useless because of how flagging currently works. By the time you have your flags for the specific eras dungeons, the content is usually useless to you by then anyhow.

Who the fuck is going to AA exp in Kunark and Velious, when you'd be much better served doing it in Luclin+. So many leveling options are completely cutoff from being available, most of which don't even have a fucking raid boss in them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And that's kind of my issue with this 65 quest. There are literally thousands of NPC's, and unless you're some kind of fucking Everquest savant and can pick out the NPC who doesn't belong in each of the dozens of zones, you'd never know if it were a normal quest or this custom one.

Like, the quest initiator is actually in a place where people might see him for leveling, but why would anyone hail him? I haven't hailed a single fucking NPC outside of the hub and epic quests. Custom content works great on a server like EZ because that's all there are is custom NPC's. When you've got them intermingled with the hundred other NPC's in a zone, it's retarded.

I kind of mis-stated that the epics lead you in the right direction, but the difference is that you had thousands of players back in the day trying to figure it out, not maybe 100ish. And on top of that, people shared information. This server is currently operating on everyone figure the quest out for themselves guidelines.

Maybe the problem is that all the 65's in our guild just don't like me though, as I've seen people in the guild get flagged plenty (Djevel just got his hours after my original post).

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I'm actually the guy that ran into crystal caverns randomly and noticed an odd npc on his own. Other people noticed similar shit all over when doing other things. Doing epics in the hole? Who the hell is that dude? He was never there on live. Word gets out. I do think the part of that quest that was honestly bumblefuck is the one that gives you the trustworthy hint. Other than that it really isnt that bad. People are secretive. So what. It's not like you won't get it, and it isn't like people haven't spent hours backflagging and gearing others. How many flag items and mobs have people helped out on? It's almost creepy how much help is available on demand in the guild :p

This is honestly my largest gripe with the server. There is a FUCKTON of content that is literally useless because of how flagging currently works. By the time you have your flags for the specific eras dungeons, the content is usually useless to you by then anyhow.

Who the fuck is going to AA exp in Kunark and Velious, when you'd be much better served doing it in Luclin+. So many leveling options are completely cutoff from being available, most of which don't even have a fucking raid boss in them.

I disagree. Xp and stopover gearing options are amazing in kunark with chardok/HS/seb for xp and veksar for gear. And once you get luclin flagged one of the most popular AA spots is droga. Plenty of gear in lower areas stays relevant for a long time. You arent guaranteed drops for a specific slot even in small groups. My shaman has some amazing gear, and a bunch of shit from veksar. My monk is a walking ginsu set, but is still wearing fucking azure sleeves and serpent bracers from guk. Often times it is way worth it to camp for a bit in a lower or mid tier area to get some items that will last you till later.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Went Warrior + Druid, up to 27. Hopefully I'll get in some quality hours tomorrow assuming the in-laws hit the road early enough in the day.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gravel if you know how to do it please tell me details. It's 2016, I couldn't care the fuck less about solving vague quests in EverQuest on my own anymore.

From what I gathered, 3 pieces from VP, Venril Sathirs head I think, a Scalpel (does only AoW drop this?) go to some NPC in the Hole.

Then Tormax head, hopefully the same Scalpel, and 3 pieces (from VP or are there Velious equivalents?), to an NPC in Crystal Caverns?

Is that about it?

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Ye, fuck that shit. I am not here to role play. I want to dungeon crawl and progress through the expansions. I hope I find a guide or something so I don't have to annoy someone to give me information.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You bunch of whiners. Read what I said today (also in GMOTD) and stop getting your elf pixel panties in a wad. First of all, some perspective.. you are demanding some EZ mode way to the level 65 quest. Most of you are just in the middle of Velious flags, let alone even started Luclin. Do you know when level 65 was introduced in EQ? Planes of Power! You're smack in the middle of Velious and want some instant gratification path to level 65 (which further trivializes your current content).

Now, what has me pissed is you're saying how cryptic people are getting. I said in guild a million times, and I said in GMOTD today to "ask your guildmates for advice"! Every single day it is a different one of you that only start your bitching after you have quest pieces eaten. I said to make sure you read each and every line of text from those mobs and ask if you are unsure. It's meant to be cryptic and vague. You're gaining access to 5 extra levels and the associated AA out of era. It is its own epic quest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First and foremost, stop handing random items into the quest NPCs. They will (purposefully) eat your shit if you do it incorrectly. You already know the gist of what you need. 3 Pieces from VP, Tunare essence, Venril head, KT jar, and AoW scalpel (KT and AoW do not drop pieces every kill). Quest starter is in Paineel, another is in Hole, Surgeon in Crystal Caverns, Spigot in Steamfont. The issue I have is people that keep blowing the items doing incorrect hand-ins and then repeatedly whining about it. You already have the info, you just need to follow the dialogue to the T and click every text response. Screenshot every step if you have to, because they DO NOT repeat their dialogue.

That should be far more than enough information to get this knocked out.

Last edited:

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm glad I didn't get to that point of getting items eaten yet, but thanks for at least telling me where it begins. If there was some NPC that directed me there, I completely missed it. If not, good job to everyone else for randomly finding an NPC in a dead city without any sort of direction or input from other people. :p

All the information I had was simply picked up on by /who'ing people when they finished the quest, or listening to the people who've had their items eaten. I'm sure now that I can get actual quest text from the quest giving NPC i'll be able to figure it out.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ye, fuck that shit. I am not here to role play. I want to dungeon crawl and progress through the expansions. I hope I find a guide or something so I don't have to annoy someone to give me information.
I think this is where we end up differing from several people in the guild. Some people want to figure out quests, and others of us want to just enjoy grinding levels and gear.

Djevel mentioned that he found the NPC's because they're ones unfamiliar to him from classic. I addressed that before in the fact that unless you're some kind of savant in remembering out of place NPC's over 3 expansions, you're unlikely to know who the fuck to look for (and worse, the NPC right after starting the quest is behind a god damn locked door; where I had to use wolf form to get through it every motherfucking time -- and you revisit this guy a LOT).

Overall the handins weren't super hard, and I deserved what I got for the first NPC eating my items. My issue is just that finding the next NPC in the chain is a ridiculous task.

I did notice yesterday people giving "hints" (e.g. look in a zone type like "this"). I never got any of that shit. Every single time I asked someone in the guild about it, I got silence. It was only because of people outside of it that I managed to find shit (Djevel did give me hints for one of them; I was in the right zone though and still couldn't figure out who to go to).

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you have been asking for help in guild chat the last few days, its likely been missed in spam vs people ignoring you. Most of the seniors in guild have been grinding hard on PoP with insane encounters and the occasional bugs and sending feedback to staff. I have, personally, helped lots of newer members the last week in Vel / VP specifically for 65 quest parts. Don't take anything personal, you were probably simply not heard.

Send some tells if you get stuck.

In other news: myself, Serinn (Agraza), and Funkeey just finished EP flags (not SolRo or Fire though). A few others are not far behind, just missing RZ or Bertoxx etc. We've spent a lot of time reporting tuning, script event, and flag bugs with GMs to make the PoP experience more enjoyable and smoother for the entire server. By the time the rest of the guild / server catches up, it should be smooth sailing.

@MazeEq and @Secrets have been putting in crazy time at all hours getting these fixes implemented at an impressive pace. Thanks again for the hard work!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We are on an Ez server. Kinda silly to say that we want it easy.

Just FYI, this is easy up to a point but it scales up with every xpac. There are challenges and the 65 quest is designed to be one of the first. I can certainly assure you that end game Luclin and certainly PoP have a massive leap in difficulty. Remember that the scaling is max for Classic and less and less for each subsequent xpac. I could walk in 2 box and fart on most Velious NPCs and win in my current gear/level/aa. However, in PoP with top end Luclin gear, some people max AA, there are events requiring 6 or more characters in early tiers. We haven't even touched EP bosses, EP gods, or PoTime yet and I can only imagine that is going to be 2 group content.

If you're expecting the fast and EZ mode you had in classic / kunark on this server, just know it gets far harder. That 65 quest is simply the beginning of that journey.

Just trying to keep expectations in check for everyone.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I was hoping it would. I'm really just wanting to get this quest done and unlock 65 for the same reason most of you have burned through PoP up to EP in the 2 or 3 days since it launch. That and some of these Velious flags are clearly not doable with my duo at 60 currently, so if I can trivialize that so I can hurry up and get to end game Luclin and PoP, bring that shit on!

I'm glad it's getting more difficult, but I don't want to waste my time begging people for help killing menial shit. At least i'm not like that one asshat who went to Velious at 55 and spent day after day begging people to kill flag mobs for him. :D

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just FYI, this is easy up to a point but it scales up with every xpac. There are challenges and the 65 quest is designed to be one of the first. I can certainly assure you that end game Luclin and certainly PoP have a massive leap in difficulty. Remember that the scaling is max for Classic and less and less for each subsequent xpac. I could walk in 2 box and fart on most Velious NPCs and win in my current gear/level/aa. However, in PoP with top end Luclin gear, some people max AA, there are events requiring 6 or more characters in early tiers. We haven't even touched EP bosses, EP gods, or PoTime yet and I can only imagine that is going to be 2 group content.

If you're expecting the fast and EZ mode you had in classic / kunark on this server, just know it gets far harder. That 65 quest is simply the beginning of that journey.

Just trying to keep expectations in check for everyone.
Some of the Velious shit really ramped up the difficulty in my opinion. Almost all the flagging mobs would probably take at least a full group of people to do, assuming no overgeared help.

I think that actually VP was probably the first place where I was like, shit, I definitely need help.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I dislike having to flag an alt.
Twinking is part of the fun - not fun doing all that flagging all over again.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If not for the respawn rates, I don't think flagging is too bad.

Although, once again that's up until Velious. I'm sure once I'm in PoP gear I'll feel like Velious is a joke though.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Look, On the old server i spent about 3 days camping a fucking tiger in the hunter/forager cycle for a damn shield. I am used to vague and obnoxious,

Ding 46 right before the reboot.