EQMac Now Free to Play

althuna_sl

shitlord
The older client does have some weak points. I dont find it to be that big of a deal but there are things i miss. Like with the old one, you can only view one item at a time (when u right click it to see the stats). In the new client it would open up multiple pop up windows showing their stats. And there are fewer options in the options screen, like in the newer client you can turn off environmental sounds, but the old one doesnt have that option. And theres some more stuff i forgot. But eqmac is still the best for me.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really miss having DoT damage displayed in the UI, but that's really my only gripe.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Some weekend adventure pictures
rrr_img_34979.jpg
rrr_img_34980.jpg
rrr_img_34981.jpg
rrr_img_34982.jpg

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I'll be on within the hour. Look me up if anyone is playing, Barffer. Got a 44 cleric I can play as well.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Having played in 99 on live, I'm somewhat wondering how accurate of a port to mac this server was in terms of some of its NPC mechanics. The level of overall buggyness that I'm seeing on EQ mac is far beyond what I remember from back in the day.

I spent the past few days playing in Unrest and it is quite nearly unplayable due to entire floors agroing seemingly at random from various locations in the house. I remember there being some issues way back when, but not nearly with the frequency and severity that I was seeing here.

I tried my luck in Mistmoore tonight and I'm noticing that rather than pathing to the zone, two of the roaming spawns seem to pop out of the sky at the zone line and path down to some point where they eventually restart from the sky. This is in a completely empty zone so these aren't respawns. Further, outside the zone, the named horse (Esq the Corrupted), seems to randomly pop from the sky at the zone line and go apeshit. After I zoned off its agro, it seemingly b-lined straight to my rogue who was auto running on some wall trying to finish his CR. Rogue certainly didn't have any agro on it at this point, so having it charging at me at full speed head on from a zone wall seemed really fucking buggy.

I'm honestly thinking that I'd enjoy just playing P99 rather than EQMac; it seemed a good bit more stable than this server is. I certainly like the feel of the combat mechanics and AC/Resist calculations etc on EQ Mac, but its latency, pathing, and proximity agro seem pretty wacked out.

althuna_sl

shitlord
I think its a bit buggy. Mistmoore is a nightmare. Are you in [What]? I was hunting there tonight as usual and saw some guys there, usually its completely empty.

I can't remember the mob quirkyness exactly. But mistmoore is nasty. There are places you can stand where the mob cant path to you and it ends up running in the castle and training the whole place back out to you. And stuff that drops from the sky then walks through a wall and gets stuck on the ledge outside. Various other quirks too.

I have died a billion times in there recently. But really, I don't really care any more. I'm in no hurry to level and once I worked out all the crazy shit I started to make good exp in there. And I know for sure that some places worked similarly back in the day. Cazic Thule in particular used to piss me off because I would aggro a mob by the door and because it couldnt just path 2 feet infront of it, it would run back in to the cave and aggro a few more mobs before it finally managed to find the waypoints to take it back outside. So im not even sure if EQ Mac is worse than it was back then or not, but either way, its more or less the same pain in the arse experience
biggrin.png

But thats partly why I love it tbh.

Tulain_sl

shitlord
I love EqMac because I loved everything from the original EQ. It is the only server in the world where you can get the old spell particles turned on by deleting spellsnew.edd and .eff files after patching. I don't think a game will ever make spell particle effects as well as they did for their time again. Especially ones that progress with levels.

Tulain_sl

shitlord
There are just a lot more particles in most. Specifically, the generic Hp/ac spell effect will look better from the hands and the healing spells will have a lot more sprites.

althuna_sl

shitlord
Nice thanks a lot i'll try that! I remembered the original effects being a lot more flashy and impressive. Be nice to get that back.

Zacx_sl

shitlord
I spent the past few days playing in Unrest and it is quite nearly unplayable due to entire floors agroing seemingly at random from various locations in the house.

I tried my luck in Mistmoore tonight and I'm noticing that rather than pathing to the zone, two of the roaming spawns seem to pop out of the sky at the zone line and path down to some point where they eventually restart from the sky.
pretty much working as intended, that's classic EQ as I remember it

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I'm honestly thinking that I'd enjoy just playing P99 rather than EQMac; it seemed a good bit more stable than this server is.
I hate to say it, but in many zones I would prefer p99's pathing to eqmac's. Unrest is a great example. Eqmac has all sorts of quirks; one of which is that mobs will warp on top of you if they can't path to you, or even if they can. If I run around mobs in circles too tightly for example, such as when I'm bunching up mobs to quad, that will trigger the warp code and they just teleport on top of me.

P99 has different quirks. Mobs don't teleport on top of you on p99, but they don't have collision code with the geometry there, and sometimes they will end up outside the wall and end up in some random position in a dungeon and bring a massive train. Other times the pathing nodes for patroling mobs aren't set correctly, so you'll see patrolers just wander through walls. (you see this is guk a lot)

One thing eqmac has that I fucking loathe is the leash code. It's long or even non-existent in some zones, but short in others. Sebilis (and many Kunark zones) for example has a short leash code. You could literally aggro the mobs at the first door in the zone, run to the zone in with SoW on, and you'll lose them. This made pulling in AoE groups a challenge.

The bad pathing on eqmac is pretty zone specific however. Unrest inside the house is unplayable as you found out. I actually was quite amused powerleveling my paladin there, as I could just sit in the middle of the house and have half the zone autopull to me, saving me the trouble. The unicorn was also something I heard brought up in alliance chat a few times. You've been to some of the worst zones on the server, in terms of pathing. It'll get better in other zones. Incidentally I solo camped, self buffed, maid isis for a wreath while she was still dark blue on my druid, so the entire zone isn't broken. Velious and PoP zones seemed better, pathing wise.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
I spent the past few days playing in Unrest and it is quite nearly unplayable due to entire floors agroing seemingly at random from various locations in the house. I remember there being some issues way back when, but not nearly with the frequency and severity that I was seeing here.

I tried my luck in Mistmoore tonight and I'm noticing that rather than pathing to the zone, two of the roaming spawns seem to pop out of the sky at the zone line and path down to some point where they eventually restart from the sky. This is in a completely empty zone so these aren't respawns. Further, outside the zone, the named horse (Esq the Corrupted), seems to randomly pop from the sky at the zone line and go apeshit. After I zoned off its agro, it seemingly b-lined straight to my rogue who was auto running on some wall trying to finish his CR. Rogue certainly didn't have any agro on it at this point, so having it charging at me at full speed head on from a zone wall seemed really fucking buggy.
Aggro and pathing in the Unrest mansion and in Mistmore castle were always a hilarious clusterfuck of a disaster. To me it sounds like its working perfectly fine. I can remember plenty of times in the Unrest mansion where mobs would just auto pull from all over the house, you'd just be getting groups of 3-4 mobs coming into the room you were camping in every 30-50 seconds. I'm pretty sure it was just because both of those zones are tagged as "outdoors" and therefore the line of sight checks are just awful. Line of sight for aggro/spells/pathing really only works right if the zone is tagged as "indoors".

If I run around mobs in circles too tightly for example, such as when I'm bunching up mobs to quad, that will trigger the warp code and they just teleport on top of me.
That sounds like authentic behavior too, though it didn't happen in every zone. I remember getting the ghoul loud stuck in the savants room all the time and just nuking him down. Other zones shit would teleport like mad and fuck you up good as you tried to run away.

Zacx_sl

shitlord
well of course it's authentic
everything you see on eqmac is authentic, it's an official server and an exact port of EQ from 2002/2003

so yeah...