EQMac Shutting down

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTIFICATION
Important Information Regarding EverQuest Mac?.
Along with many fallen heroes of Norrath, EverQuest Mac will now make its journey to Ethernere. It?s with heavy hearts that we announce EverQuest Mac will come to a close at 1*2:01 am PT on 1*1/18/13 when SOE shuts down the EverQuest Mac server.
We greatly appreciate all of the EverQuest Mac players who have adventured through Norrath with us over the years. We hope to see you online in the PC versions of our EverQuest Franchise games on SOE.com.
Sincerely,
Sony Online Entertainment

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Dear EQ Mac fans,

We said this before and now we really have to do it - we're sunsetting EQ Mac. As a passionate Mac player, I'm disappointed to have to share this news. We decided to keep the game running after receiving your feedback when we originally announced the sunset plans early last year, but with all of our development aligned towards our upcoming slate of games, we simply cannot justify the resources required to continue to support this version of the game. Please know that this was not a decision that was taken lightly. It was a hard call to make, but we know it's the right thing to do. Thank you for your support of EQ Mac and the time spent in the game.

Smed

After much review and consideration, we have made the decision to sunset EverQuest Mac (EQ Mac). EQ Mac was originally scheduled to sunset in early 2012, but we kept the game up and running following the passionate feedback received from the community. As we align development resources towards our upcoming slate of games, we cannot justify the resources required to continue to support EQ Mac. The remaining EverQuest titles (EverQuest, EverQuest II, EverQuest Next and EverQuest Next Landmark) will not be affected by this closure. We appreciate all of your contributions over the years and hope to see you in other EQ games.

FAQ:

Is EverQuest: Macintosh Edition being shut down?

Yes. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is scheduled to sunset EverQuest: Macintosh Edition on November 18, 2013. No new accounts will be allowed to play EverQuest: Macintosh Edition as of October 18, 2013.

What happens to all the code/data for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition? Can someone open an emulator server for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition?

Sony Online Entertainment will retain all of the code and data from EverQuest: Macintosh Edition. Sony Online Entertainment will not license or authorize the operation of an EverQuest: Macintosh Edition emulator or fan operated EverQuest: Macintosh Edition server.

Will the EverQuest: Macintosh Edition Forums be available after the service shuts down?

All Forums associated with EverQuest: Macintosh Edition will be removed after the service shuts down.

I have a further concern and want to contact Customer Service. How do I do that?

We definitely want to help address any further concerns, and if there is some specific issue with your situation that isn't covered but could be answered by Customer Service please follow the directions on this page. You are also welcome to post any general questions in this thread; we will be reviewing it frequently.

403 Forbidden

Fish1_sl

shitlord
FAQ - truth edition:

Is EverQuest: Macintosh Edition being shut down?
Yes, sorry but I ran this company in to the ground and now we can't even afford the $3.50 a month it requires to run the server.

Why did you keep it open originally and now change your mind?
I like thinking about people spending months of time and effort on something that I can later destroy. Sometimes when I think about it, I touch myself.

What happens to all the code/data for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition? Can someone open an emulator server for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition?
SOE will retain everything and never license anything because I would rather go out of business than allow some random dude to have the most popular EQ server out there. How do you think that would make me look?!

Will the EverQuest: Macintosh Edition Forums be available after the service shuts down?
Nah, it will only be people insulting me. p.s. IM NOT FAT IM BIG BONED!

I have a further concern and want to contact Customer Service. How do I do that?
You don't, you go fuck yourself along with all of our other 2 dozen customers. I mean... please come back for EQ Next, we 'value' you and your many microtransactions.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Pretty well Smed is trying to cut people's cords and tell them if you are not spending money or at least exposed to our Marketplace we don't want you.

We don't care about extending the olive branch we simple want and need to make money. Our stuff is declining and we do not want to present, as a company, any essence of good will or appreciate to our player base over the years.

See you in EQNext, you're in Georgeson's world now.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
So in other words, Smed let the hackers win.

Instead of doing something sensible, like implementing a small sub fee to pay for the single GM that could police the server, he just decided to shut it off. Thanks for letting people like Relapse win, Smed.

Let me explain what has been happening on Al'Kabor recently. People using warp and speed hacks are taking level 1s into zones like plane of time, training guilds, and looting their god kills. My guild just needs RZ for elementals, and two people (Huffwins and Layonhands) have trained us every night we have attempted RZ to keep us out, using their anon unguilded bard and druid. Also some ex-TSE player on his SK was going around training EVERYBODY he could using warp and speed hacks, just to try and get the server shut off by getting players to tie up CS with tickets from a free server.

So instead of remonetezing the server to pay for a GM, Smed just lets these nihilists win. Instead of allowing the community to police itself with some sort of simple votekick mechanic, he just lets these assholes win.

When Al'kabor is shut off, I will not be playing any MMOG for the forseeable future. RIP MMOGs.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
And I hope bad things happen to that stupid fucking moron New Age Soldier guy. Way to release a warp hack publicly on a free server with no policing hosted by a company barely staying afloat. Fucking idiot.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Hope karma will get them.

The thing with the GM though is that they could have easily had a player run server. Just sign up some volunteers who act as 'guides' and they can weed out the few bad people, send screenshots or whatever to a real GM who once a week just IP bans people like that. You would think SOE trying to be the big player with all the MMO's on their station pass, would be able to have a single server like that. One for the people and run (partly) by the people. But they don't care, it makes them no money so burn it and EQ Next will save everything.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I think the GMs were treating Al'Kabor like the PC servers. And their policies are probably set up to not ban paying customers unless they do REALLY bad shit and get caught red-handed. Even then they still don't permaban. GMs WATCHING somebody warp around with hacks and train people gets them a short suspension. It's ridiculous.

It took a retarded amount of effort to get Zeref banned. I'm not even sure he was banned, because after he stopped for whatever reason, I saw his geared corpse somehow disappear long before it should have rotted; and a new corpse conned fresher than when he was supposedly banned. That after I sent them videos and GMs logged in to watch him.

And I'm told they ban email addresses instead of IPs which is beyond retarded.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Need a disgruntled, possibly about-to-leave SOE employee to copy EQMac's server code plus NPC, item, and quest database and release it into the wild somehow (torrent, usenet, megaupload, wikileaks, whatever)

EQ must be saved from those at Sony who would destroy it

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Need a disgruntled, possibly about-to-leave SOE employee to copy EQMac's server code plus NPC, item, and quest database and release it into the wild somehow (torrent, usenet, megaupload, wikileaks, whatever)

Seriously, this is like the death of the last WWII vet or something, who, instead of having his story about Normandy recorded, had his watch stolen by a Haitian nurse he called Mommy. Knowledge must be preserved for future generations.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

There is still a lot of code to be fixed on Mac. It was fucked from EPs forward. Most Earth rings do not work, PoTime loots are broken (missing stats, no EP BPs, gods drop 2 items vs 3, Quarm is still version 1.0 (unkillable), broken geometry, etc.) As much as I loved Mac and raiding with Temerity, there were a lot of negatives about the server.

I think the best option would be to get Smed to agree to copy the entire server character database and dump them on Test Server. Mac players can Bootcamp / VM into Windows to play. Test is free gold status and doesnt have all the stupid Mac bugs to deal with. Best case scenario I can foresee.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
There is still a lot of code to be fixed on Mac. It was fucked from EPs forward.
Yes, and once it leaves the control of Sony, you will find MANY eager programmers more than willing to fix those things. I'm not Hobart or Secrets, but I can certainly fix some of those things myself.

The problem with the Test server is that server is modern EQ. I'm sure if I told people at Sony that I wanted MORE downtime, they would look at me like I was from mars. I've little doubt they have no clue why many people prefer classic EQ to modern. They probably all think all EQMac players were playing it just because it's an MMORPG for Macs, and would play PC EQ instead if they had PCs.

Edit: Elidroth excluded. He gets it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, and once it leaves the control of Sony, you will find MANY eager programmers more than willing to fix those things. I'm not Hobart or Secrets, but I can certainly fix some of those things myself.

The problem with the Test server is that server is modern EQ. I'm sure if I told people at Sony that I wanted MORE downtime, they would look at me like I was from mars. I've little doubt they have no clue why many people prefer classic EQ to modern. They probably all think all EQMac players were playing it just because it's an MMORPG for Macs, and would play PC EQ instead if they had PCs.

Edit: Elidroth excluded. He gets it.
I do not doubt SoE's ignorance either. They would make absolute bank if they simply released a server and hard locked it to PoP or GoD / OoW. Call it classic server or whatever and laugh all the way to the bank. You'd think they would have caught on by now with the popularity of the Emu servers trying to recreate that experience. Nevermind the fact their own progression servers are bustling with activity and then the population bombs when they move out of the golden age of expacs.

Fucking get it together Sony.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
If I were Sony, I would take Al'Kabor's server code+database+old zones and make it run with the modern PC client-- which I assume already has a 'progression mode' to strip out certain things for the progression servers-- then use that as a new progression server that will never go beyond PoP for the classic game everybody wants. Fix the broken shit that plagued Al'Kabor, obviously.

After Quarm has been dead awhile or whatever, start a new second server from classic. Then when that server has beaten Quarm + X months or whatever trigger they have, just move everybody over to the first server and reset the second one like a D2 ladder reset.

No marketplace. Just make the sub $5/mo and everybody will make multiple accounts because it's cheap. It will be content locked and require no development beyond the initial launch and bug fixes which will get fewer and fewer over time so they can get away with a lower sub.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
at the very least, i hope they use Al Kabor's database as the basis for the new progression servers that are supposedly coming out next year. maybe switch to their main database after PoP, idk.

it would be bound to have a bigger population than the Vulak A'err server. during the free gold time i logged onto Vulak, and there were only 34 characters logged into General chat. i think it was Saturday night, too...