EQMac Shutting down

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
With EQC and EQMac getting nuked in the same month, I think we almost just need to finally hang up the classic EQ hat for good guys lol. IDK hopefully theres some secret project in the works somewhere, but I doubt it.

Rellapse_sl

shitlord
So in other words, Smed let the hackers win.

Instead of doing something sensible, like implementing a small sub fee to pay for the single GM that could police the server, he just decided to shut it off. Thanks for letting people like Relapse win, Smed.
Youre a fucking idiot brah I never cheated on your retarded server in fact I was against big Zamiel even joining my guild. The only thing I did to your shit ass server was wake the sleeper which rustled every ones jimmies so hard they sent in thousands of petitions and got their own server shut the hell down. IN short you and every dumbass who sent in petitions got the server shut down. Congrats dumbass go cry somewhere else.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
at the very least, i hope they use Al Kabor's database as the basis for the new progression servers that are supposedly coming out next year. maybe switch to their main database after PoP, idk.

it would be bound to have a bigger population than the Vulak A'err server. during the free gold time i logged onto Vulak, and there were only 34 characters logged into General chat. i think it was Saturday night, too...
Again, the problem is those population numbers bomb once you move past PoP. Lock a server down to Classic - PoP and leave it that way.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Youre a fucking idiot brah I never cheated on your retarded server in fact I was against big Zamiel even joining my guild. The only thing I did to your shit ass server was wake the sleeper which rustled every ones jimmies so hard they sent in thousands of petitions and got their own server shut the hell down. IN short you and every dumbass who sent in petitions got the server shut down. Congrats dumbass go cry somewhere else.
The only part of your reply that has any accuracy is that petitions are most likely what drove this server to collapse. Aside from the training, there was enough petitioning going on anyway. Since the last patch, zones like Overthere and Thurgadin would randomly crash and lock characters inside. I even had to petition for this issue last week and the GM response was that he also got his character stuck in the zone and had to forward the issue up!! This was happening quite frequently. Add in broken encounters like Earth rings that needed a GM to trigger, etc and it was always bound to happen sooner or later. Without any devs fixing the problems, it was a CS blackhole and SoE werent getting any revenue from the server. The raid training was most likely just the straw that broke the camel's back.

*edit* In restrospect, maybe you can all blame me for getting it shut down.
biggrin.png

rrr_img_47199.jpg

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so many tearsEQMac.com View topic - The Legality of this Shutdown

Has anything like this happened in account/progression gaming history where people have paid for the gameplay and, ultimately, progression of characters therein, and then had their world and characters completely shut down by the party they originally paid?

I'm no lawyer but what's going on here seems like it wouldn't hold up in court if it were to get to that level.

So many of us have paid SOE for this service and relied on their word that our money will allow us to play this game indefinitely. This should be treated no differently than a console game. Once you buy it, you can play it until the end of time.

I'd argue that we should either get all of our money spent on Al'Kabor in the past back, or it's illegal for them to shut this down (or not offer us free transfers at least). Even if there's some fine print in the Terms of Use giving them full power to pull the plug, courts could still rule that a clause like that, and what they're doing now, is unlawful.

(Serious replies only please. I refuse to roll over and give up on this.)
there are actually people taking him seriously

Elerion

N00b
Hahahaha.

Has anything like this happened in account/progression gaming history where people have paid for the gameplay and, ultimately, progression of characters therein, and then had their world and characters completely shut down by the party they originally paid?
Surely not! Right?!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
So what really happened with this whole thing? The last time I played was during the little anniversary events they were giving out artifacts for during the clusterfuck buggy event in EW. Everything on the server seemed fine then, and I went inactive for a few months, logged back on last night, and saw nobody online. Now the server is shutting down? Cos of hackers causing CS nightmares? When did all the hacking/griefing begin? How bad did it get? So sad to see Mac go =/ What are most people using as a replacement? Test progression?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So what really happened with this whole thing? The last time I played was during the little anniversary events they were giving out artifacts for during the clusterfuck buggy event in EW. Everything on the server seemed fine then, and I went inactive for a few months, logged back on last night, and saw nobody online. Now the server is shutting down? Cos of hackers causing CS nightmares? When did all the hacking/griefing begin? How bad did it get? So sad to see Mac go =/ What are most people using as a replacement? Test progression?
Project 1999 - Classic Everquest

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Have more people gone there than on test? Test seems like a good thing. What's population like on p99 these days? I've never once touched one of the classic/progression EMU servers because of all the shit I read here.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Have more people gone there than on test? Test seems like a good thing. What's population like on p99 these days? I've never once touched one of the classic/progression EMU servers because of all the shit I read here.
Theres 850 on right now, consider that boxing isn't allowed, so thats pretty good. There is about 100 on the PvP Server. I suggest giving the PvP server a chance.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I'm assuming it's the shitty Rallos Zek style PvP? I'd play a PvP server if it was at least Tallon/Vallon style, preferably Sullon, but Rallos? Total shit.

Notch_sl

shitlord
Since the announcement of the server shutdown, it is not uncommon for "/who all" to return with 17-20 characters during peak hours.

As for the basis for the server shutdown, the reason has been speculated here and the EQ official forums, and made quite evident on the EQ Mac forums. Basically, when level 1 characters appear in Time and other planes training raiders and groups on a FTP server that requires too much GM intervention as is (to spawn/reset events/mobs), it was not surprising that the hammer came down sooner than later.

According to some, the community have scattered into the wind: P99, PEQ, EQ Live (Xegony, mostly), Test server, and WoW.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My guild isn't even in consensus on where to go. They seem to be scattering also.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Since the announcement of the server shutdown, it is not uncommon for "/who all" to return with 17-20 characters during peak hours.

As for the basis for the server shutdown, the reason has been speculated here and the EQ official forums, and made quite evident on the EQ Mac forums. Basically, when level 1 characters appear in Time and other planes training raiders and groups on a FTP server that requires too much GM intervention as is (to spawn/reset events/mobs), it was not surprising that the hammer came down sooner than later.

According to some, the community have scattered into the wind: P99, PEQ, EQ Live (Xegony, mostly), Test server, and WoW.
Man I had around 800k too, with my highest chars in their 30's and 40's. Had a few of the artifacts from a few months ago as well. Guess I'm glad I quit for the last 4 months. I can't imagine how upset so many people are after devoting loads of time into their characters once we got the announcement that the server would be up forever and F2P. I guess the whole F2P thing is what really ruined it, and the Windows port. It's sad that a few lonely individuals ruined it for everyone else. Maybe Hobbart will leak the code or something :/ When did all of this hacking really begin?

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
When did all of this hacking really begin?
When the resident EQMAC guild, Temerity, decided that they were the only ones who deserved to play and said 'fuck you' to everyone else. Have no illusions as to why this is happening; you ruined it for yourselves.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Temerity was the level 1 training guilds in Time? I thought Temerity was the only guild in time? I have not played in like 6 months though.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was probably the lash back from training other guilds to prevent them from getting EP flagged.

Anyways.Mypost dooming EQMAC. Note the date.

edit

And of course all the wonderful EQMAC memories.

rrr_img_48467.jpg