EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you don't like minecraft, this might not be the game for you.
I never played it, but is there as much grinding for mats in Minecraft that there is in here? I mean those rare wood items are a pita to get and you need 100 to refine to 1 board.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
They just took the servers down? Or crashed maybe?

I too had issues finding a piece of land earlier today. But I surfed around to the different zones and found a really nice piece in a forest, in one of the tier 3 zones. Section was really empty and still was the last time I was there(mining in a tier 2 atm). Somehow all my shit was deleted and I had to start over. Just finished making an iron pick and some of the portable crafting tables.

Really surprised how well it runs. Seems to be some kind of hitching when I zone or travel across one and the gears pop up... other then that, running really nice. Chat channel occasionally having some lag. I've never played Minecraft before and the only game I can think of it to compare to would be Terraria I guess..... exceeding my expectations.

misery_sl

shitlord
Well, here's my adventure so far...

Logged into the world, made a claim for science, deleted the claim for science, spent the rest of the night running around and figuring things out, and eventually logged out. This morning I nabbed a new claim in a tier 3 world, made an awesome cave by deleting the dirt inside, made it into a maze, made a large pitfall at the front of my claim so anyone who walks on will fall in and be trapped in my maze. After that, I made a chair out of grass at the highest point of my claim and attempted to sit on it (impossible). After I was done messing around on my claim, I left it never to return until they make it easier to find your own claim. My new goal was upgrading my pick axe. Ran around for many hours collecting ore, gems, and that annoying burled wood for my mats. Ended up with an iron pick and more than half the mats for the silverpick of awesomeness. Somehow I actually crafted a rare pick that had the swift attribute, and I must say it was rather glorious, even though it couldn't mine higher tier mats. I've noticed that I'm enjoying running around the world and finding interesting things that people have built. Surprisingly, no penises as of yet. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Apostolos

Only crash I have seen is when zoning. I have yet to be able to go to Courage. I made a legendary bronze pick which was cool. About to make a silver pick when servers took a dump. The only head scratcher I have seen was the inability to change key binds.. I mean what is the first thing you do after you create any character in any mmo? You stand there with 20 other characters standing on you as you open up your key binds and change everything while all those other toons do it too.

I guess it is a good and bad thing. It really is alpha, and not just some marketing beta which means they really might listen to people... here is hoping anyway. The bad? WASD is stupid as hell! ESDF ftw! (seriously.. more reachable keys for key binds and you do not have to move your hand to type.. its like a no brainer for any PC gamer)

Niedar_sl

shitlord
They have always described Landmark as having separate worlds that look different from each other but what you might end up seeing is later on the zones being larger. For example right now they have the tiers spread out in different zones but thats not how it is supposed to be and is only for this stage of alpha. Later on the high tier stuff will be underground.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I never played it, but is there as much grinding for mats in Minecraft that there is in here? I mean those rare wood items are a pita to get and you need 100 to refine to 1 board.
~10-15 blue wood per tree, it's not so bad. As your tools get better you harvest more/faster so it wont be much of an issue.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Keep in mind that there are only 2 biomes right now Desert and Forrest. And there is no water in the game yet. Who knows how long before they add the remainder of the terrain but I would imagine it's going to shake things up quite a bit. The worlds/islands in their current state could just be placeholders until the new systems are added.

Well, here's my adventure so far...

Logged into the world, made a claim for science, deleted the claim for science, spent the rest of the night running around and figuring things out, and eventually logged out. This morning I nabbed a new claim in a tier 3 world, made an awesome cave by deleting the dirt inside, made it into a maze, made a large pitfall at the front of my claim so anyone who walks on will fall in and be trapped in my maze. After that, I made a chair out of grass at the highest point of my claim and attempted to sit on it (impossible). After I was done messing around on my claim, I left it never to return until they make it easier to find your own claim. My new goal was upgrading my pick axe. Ran around for many hours collecting ore, gems, and that annoying burled wood for my mats. Ended up with an iron pick and more than half the mats for the silverpick of awesomeness. Somehow I actually crafted a rare pick that had the swift attribute, and I must say it was rather glorious, even though it couldn't mine higher tier mats. I've noticed that I'm enjoying running around the world and finding interesting things that people have built. Surprisingly, no penises as of yet. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
That's a pretty good summary of how I behaved except I made a plot on the edge of the world and built a wood chair. I am almost to silver but got a bad roll on my iron one so it's too slow. I have not been able to use the delete the dirt tool so far and have had some crashes but overall incredibly impressed for a game at this stage. Even this early, people have made some cool buildings.

Also, just read that they dropped the NDA. That is confidence.... it's the mic drop of the MMO world... Yo TESO you got an NDA two months from release... BOOM <mic drop> ALPHA BEOTCH....

Black_Death

First impressions:

1. Created a character (a chick at the request of my 3 year old daughter) and holy shit does my computer suck.
2. Immediately turn down all the graphics down to medium which helped a bit, but now I am suffering from melted GI Joe syndrome.
3. Run around and mine some colorful spots on the ground. 75% of these I got some message telling me my pick is too low level. Annoyed.
4. Found a decent spot for a claim. It appeared to have been abandoned by someone else because there was a half-built frame of a building on the property. Whatever. Deleted that shit.
5. Did some excavations to level out my plot of land. Couldn't figure out how to destroy the floating trees/plants.
6. Went to the forge to figure out how to craft a higher level pick. It said I needed bronze.
7. Run around for about an hour looking for bronze unsuccessfully.
8. Teleport to other Tier 1 zones looking for bronze (also unsuccessfully). Game would crash about 50% of the time that I tried to change zones.
9. No idea which zone my plot is in. Servers go down.

Hopefully there will be more bronze nodes when the game comes back up. Also, hopefully I can find my claim...

Game shows a lot of promise if you are into building type games. I was surprised about many claims were scattered around the zones and how little I actually saw other people away from the spires. Seems like they need to figure out a way to encourage some population density. Otherwise, we're just going to have these completely fragmented zones with a few dozen people running around mining a huge amount of land.

Edit - Meant Copper...not bronze.

arallu

They're adding to the display what server/island you are on in this patch, thank god lol

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No NDA? Very smart move. I think the game is going to be awesome once they unfuck some of the stupid stuff they didn't anticipate with 30,000 alpha players.

Is the game down right now? They need to fix showing what server/zone you're in, where your claim is and the shitty bug that shows claims from previous zones on the map after you teleport out. Once that is fixed, the alpha will be about 100 times better.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any dates announced for when death/mobs are going to be added? If they'll be before Beta?

Sounding fun as a building thing right now, but I'm not THAT into building - and for $40 more than the automatic beta invite if combat stuff that will fill in my time with it better isn't going to be in till beta it just seems like that $40 would be a waste.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
This is basically what I've been doing.

(tip for those looking for tin , I'm late to the party on this tip I'm sure but just in case , keep digging WAY down on copper mines and so on. I've hit large amounts of tin , and I'm assuming it works that way for a lot of stuff. Just scratching the surface and moving on will have you missing lots of goodies).
Yeah its the same for T2. Iron nodes with silver underneath them.

xzi

Mouthbreather
edit: nevermind. I guess not everyone got an email for the alpha and I checked forums to find a link to get it

DOWNLOADING NOW. YEEEEEEEEE

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
No NDA? Very smart move. I think the game is going to be awesome once they unfuck some of the stupid stuff they didn't anticipate with 30,000 alpha players.

Is the game down right now? They need to fix showing what server/zone you're in, where your claim is and the shitty bug that shows claims from previous zones on the map after you teleport out. Once that is fixed, the alpha will be about 100 times better.
Agreed , also I saw Georgeson respond to someone on Twitter who was joking with him about arm hurting from clicking so much on harvesting trees.

Georgeson responded they were looking into making it a toggle on/off on the harvesting on Trees instead of individual clicks.

I would very much appreciate that.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The stream I watched earlier, the guy said he just held the button down to harvest.