EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It will be more valuable later on when trees actually have tiers and the founder's pickaxe can cut down any tree in the game.

Right now? Yeah, not so much. But you gotta look forward to release. Copper axe isn't always going to be able to cut down everything.

As someone that paid at least $60 for access to this shit you should really spend more time reading what SOE has said about the game.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Eh I paid $100 and dont read shit - I dont complain either though. Game's gonna change alot until open beta, no point in worrying now. If I had to voice one concern right now it's the size of the island, need to be much bigger landmasses for each. Ideally I would want to be able to run in one direction for a whole evening without reaching the edge - not sure if that is possible techwise (did run a long time in cubeworld and it didnt seem to end).

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have 2 crafting bracers from when they gave us everything twice, so if anyone wants me to try and make anything just let me know. I cannot promise results, but it is better than nothing. I am not working tomorrow, so I should be on through the day (and later tonight).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ugh only bad party is all the gathering, the building stuff is fun, but holy shit can I only do 1-2 hours of mining/logging before I have to log out and do something else. Was just doing saphire and it looks like rubies are going to be even worse and going to need both to try and get a good indigo axe.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I learned in minecraft: mining quartz by traversing an expansive, very random, high risk and combat heavy area (the netherworld) to mine quartz = fun. Mining diamonds by slowly cutting grids through repetitive, low risk and boring areas = boring.

The goal for resource gathering should be to make finding the resource and getting the ability to collect it and get it back to base safely the hard part. The actual collection of it should be quick (with the right tools) or automated by NPCs. Spending some resource to build an NPC-driven mining/foresting station and then guarding against players/NPCs while the NPCs do the boring shit can be pretty fun.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
One thing I learned in minecraft: mining quartz by traversing an expansive, very random, high risk and combat heavy area (the netherworld) to mine quartz = fun. Mining diamonds by slowly cutting grids through repetitive, low risk and boring areas = boring.

The goal for resource gathering should be to make finding the resource and getting the ability to collect it and get it back to base safely the hard part. The actual collection of it should be quick (with the right tools) or automated by NPCs. Spending some resource to build an NPC-driven mining/foresting station and then guarding against players/NPCs while the NPCs do the boring shit can be pretty fun.
Ya, I am kinda hoping that once they add in underground biomes and mobs, that we will begin to see a move in that direction. (I always laughed a little when I would look at my toon in MC and see all the arrows sticking out of my head)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, Landmark is pretty damn awesome right now, for what it is. Once they add(hopefully as large as Minecraft's) underground biomes and npcs, it's going to be even better. The underground stuff is what I'm most looking forward to at this point.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was able to harvest things with my Gold axe that I could not with the Founder's Axe due to reach. Now maybe the copper axe does indeed have the reach to take out the big trees, but for me makign the Gold axe was a big change.

Although if I could have had the same effect for a copper axe I will be a bit annoyed, presumably there is much about lumberjacking that is very much a work in progress.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Sure it does. Huge 1x1x1m ones, but voxels still. It's even the reference in term of voxel-based games.
No, it doesnt. Minecraft uses a coordinate system. Voxels is a tree based system. Minecraft uses a grid with xyz coords to keep track of the blocks. Voxels being tree based are dependent upon the other blocks in the tree to determine location. Manipulating the two systems is wildly different.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One thing I learned in minecraft: mining quartz by traversing an expansive, very random, high risk and combat heavy area (the netherworld) to mine quartz = fun.
I do remember our forays during beta to get some glowstone. For those who've never done it, try to picture: you're in a huge, dimly lit, cavern. The bottom is filled with lava that will kill you and destroy every possession you have. There are deposits of unique, non-available-anywhere glowing stone that hang from the ceiling fifty yards above you. While you're trying to make a staircase to get to them, flying squid float around just out of range of your bow, and when they see you, they spit fireballs toward your position every 5-8s, fireballs that damage and punch you out of your place.

Good luck.

(at least, when we did that, we didn't had lava slimes hunting us on the ground, and random pockets of lava when digging thru the netherrack)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Although if I could have had the same effect for a copper axe I will be a bit annoyed, presumably there is much about lumberjacking that is very much a work in progress.
Dunno about gold-only trees, but yes, a lot of trees that I can't cut with my Founder pickaxe, I can with my Fast Copper Axe.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No, it doesnt. Minecraft uses a coordinate system. Voxels is a tree based system. Minecraft uses a grid with xyz coords to keep track of the blocks. Voxels being tree based are dependent upon the other blocks in the tree to determine location. Manipulating the two systems is wildly different.
You are mixingVoxelswithOctrees. EQNL might be using octrees to store voxels, but both games are voxel-based.

(and yes, if they're using octrees, any flowing dynamic is a performance killer)

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
For normal ore gathering I use two of the Arkaans Bracers of discovery, can make them at a higher level craft station. They add +3-4 discovery each (green), and are not tough to make. I think I recall seeing some one flaunting a +7 legendary one, and you can wear two. I also saw a Legendary pick that gave +9 discovery itself, along with uber mining stats.

Also, if you make 2x Ring of Brawn, they each add around 30 damage, which makes it so you can harvest the largest tree in about 15 seconds. Some math needs to happen but reports of 3-400 burled logs in 15 minutes give or take is occurring.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Any Idea from the smart guys out there as to stat caps yet? Size, speed, etc? (Picks, Axes)

Also max on bracer items? ( Mention above a +7, so I assume there is a +10 available) ?

I keep trying and trying on crafting..was just curious as to "perfect" stats.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You are mixingVoxelswithOctrees. EQNL might be using octrees to store voxels, but both games are voxel-based.

(and yes, if they're using octrees, any flowing dynamic is a performance killer)
Almost any link you find will tell you Minecraft does NOT use Voxels, it uses Polygons. I was fairly certain that octrees & voxels went hand-in-hand but I suppose I could be wrong there. A polygon is still not a voxel.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I do hope they implement a little faster travel system (or perhaps I'm overlooking it at the moment) to get back to your claim. I like exploring and just running around digging places but my claim is on the ass end of Ravine and even with grapple + move speed accessory it takes too long. But it is the lower move speed ones, not Legends or anything.

Never played any Minecraft or any other building type game so this has been a brand new experience altogether. Maybe it is just the newness or everything, but even in an alpha state it is interesting and thinking of the future possibilities is exciting.