EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The answer to your question is on this page. Geezus. Not to mention obvious.

Nah, man, we're gonna keep your money and wipe your purchased items, yo.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Honestly, I would take detailed screenshots of stuff just in case Templates don't survive release.

If anyone hadn't played in a while I did a15 min videoof just water and the ocean. Looks amazing, but I hope they can control how choppy the water looks depending on weather, location, etc.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I posted my thoughts on the official forums:
403 Forbidden

Wiping progression is dumb.

This is a BUILDING game. Your progression in this game does NOT affect other players. Having billions of resources does NOT hurt anyone. A typical MMO has character power which does affect other players. Being more powerful allows you and your guilds/parties the ability to progress faster.

There isn't progression in a creative BUILDING game. Whatever we strive for is simply our own PERSONAL goals. We do not fight over common goals or achievements. My goal might be to build a castle whereas another player wants to build a house. There is no reason to remove our progression based on this fact.

The reasons they give for this wipe are stupid.

We've been in a Closed Beta for ~2 months. The goal is for this game to be Live for YEARS.
The amount of resources this small group of testers have acquired in 2 months will never compare to what players acquire over the years.

The devs have specifically stated that what we've acquired would "unbalance" the economy.

Being an MMO veteran since 1999, economies are very fluid and will never be balanced. The relatively SMALL amount of resources we acquire during Closed Beta will have a very minuscule affect on the overall economy. When this game goes Live and FTP there will (presumably) be a much larger playerbase. The resources we have collected will affect very very little. The future population of this game will harvest resources cumulatively at a much faster rate. Whatever we have acquired in Closed Beta will appear as a drop of water in a huge ocean.

I decided to play this game because BUILDING stuff is fun. I despise collecting resources but every time I mined a node I was comfortable with the fact I would retain those resources. Now I have little desire to mine anything else and only intend to hoard templates for Live.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well said. Not only is this "economy" issue something that should have been foreseen far earlier, it's hardly a real issue at all. The amount of resources that a few thousand testers can accumulate in a few months is insignificant when compared to the amount several hundred thousand can accumulate in a few weeks. And as you said, the game's primary focus is building. Everything about how they've handled this is retarded.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Couldn't they just lower the caps on mats in your vault/personal space to limit what you can hoard...
I suspect that their plan for finding recipes in the world is part of this also.
You may get lower tier picks right from the forge, but if you want a mithril pick you'll have to find the recipe or someone who has the recipe perhaps.

Edit: And I think things will continue to get muddy as they implement more of the EQN items in, i.e. combat, etc. and marginalize those who 'just want to build'.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
even with combat and npcs it will still be primarily a building game, just like Minecraft.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Couldn't they just lower the caps on mats in your vault/personal space to limit what you can hoard...
I suspect that their plan for finding recipes in the world is part of this also.
You may get lower tier picks right from the forge, but if you want a mithril pick you'll have to find the recipe or someone who has the recipe perhaps.

Edit: And I think things will continue to get muddy as they implement more of the EQN items in, i.e. combat, etc. and marginalize those who 'just want to build'.
Nope, you can make an unlimited amount of wooden chests and store materials in them. At this point, there's pretty much no way around it. I mean, they could flag materials to only go in your inventory, and have precise control of numbers, but they won't. The real problem is what they had written in the FAQ.

They aren't going to marginalize building. The combat and stuff is going to be really basic shit. The primary focus of Landmark will always be building.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
To me combat should only be if you and your friends need to get something relatively special/rare in terms of materials that you could adventure and do so...

I think of things like Dragonscale, maybe rare gems, certain essences and oils that could only be made from certain creatures. Maybe even to find treasure hordes in the depths. If they one day want to make the AI intelligent enough to where enemies can threaten certain homelands or groups/joint claims just to add that element.

Caliane

a building game with real money transactions on selling materials.

I don't know how you guys think not wiping prelaunch would be ok.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
a building game with real money transactions on selling materials.

I don't know how you guys think not wiping prelaunch would be ok.
I don't know how those SOE guys thought not wiping prelaunch would be ok...until 2 days ago.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know how those SOE guys thought not wiping prelaunch would be ok...until 2 days ago.
Yup that is the only part of this that is confusing at all is that they thought they could go into basically what will be a soft live launch without a full wipe.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The reason they gave was "economy", the excuse they gave for not realizing this sooner was "closed beta is turning out to be longer than we expected."

How long did they originally expect it to last? One month? Impossible. Three months? Highly improbable. Five to six months? Much more likely. But, let's say it was four.

So, 4 months of closed beta players harvesting resources is ok. 5-6 months = broken economy.

Today's math lesson has been brought to you by the number zero and the letters S-O-E.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
To give a bit of devil's advocate Alpha/beta testers can currently collect materials at a much faster rate than you will be able too once more of the game systems come online. Once caves hit ore will not be found at ground level anymore so you're going to have to spend more time crawling around in caves looking rather than just running in circles on the surface. The second system that will have an effect is combat. Having to defend yourself while in caves will slow you down as well. So I imagine that we are mining at a much faster rate than we will be able to once open beta starts.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still trying to figure out why people care about resource acquisition.
The fact people are trying to make Landmark some sort of serious "MMO" with economy and crap is really dumb.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Also keep in mind that many props and such will be removed from the workshops and only able to be created once you find the recipe.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
One of you guys has an autohotkey script ready that'll press and hold left mouse until toggled off, right? Cause I feel like my fingers are giving out on me, this is crazy.

Also, I'm surprised how rough this still is, just started on a 7 days key I got in the mail. Seems like it's a long way off from release; won't even think about EQN for the next few years.

kudos

<Banned>
Can someone tell me why having people with an abundance of resources in a building game is bad for the game? I can't figure it out. Does this game have gear you can buy or something? I mean you just... build, right? WTF does the economy even consist of that they'd be worried about?

One of you guys has an autohotkey script ready that'll press and hold left mouse until toggled off, right? Cause I feel like my fingers are giving out on me, this is crazy.

Also, I'm surprised how rough this still is, just started on a 7 days key I got in the mail. Seems like it's a long way off from release; won't even think about EQN for the next few years.
Auto Clicker

Tol_sl

shitlord
It seems a bit uncool to me because the big sell seemed to be, "Get in on the beta and you'll keep all your mined materials and have your top tier pick and axe and be ready to go when the game formally wipes and launches!" but now what I hear is, "Get ready to farm more rare trees, asshole". Pretty much kills any incentive I have to log back in until it goes live.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It seems a bit uncool to me because the big sell seemed to be, "Get in on the beta and you'll keep all your mined materials and have your top tier pick and axe and be ready to go when the game formally wipes and launches!" but now what I hear is, "Get ready to farm more rare trees, asshole". Pretty much kills any incentive I have to log back in until it goes live.
They already have your $100... which I assume was their plan all along.

You win this round, Ponytail.