EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just showed a short video on the live stream from a dev that accidentally painted his whole building with the water material, whole thing was swaying in motion... looked awesome and they said eventually we'll be able to do it.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
HG7ZXMFDMG6VGHMMGJPX
6J22ZNM3MHPMU3V3XX6E

I only posted two of my four codes, just in case someone I knew wanted one. Here's the other two.
Thanks, but other got to them before I did
frown.png
. Kind of why I asked for a PM. Thanks for the gesture though.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just confirmed on stream that Closed -> Open wipe is going to reset EVERYTHING except for purchased items (outfits, props, founders items, giveaways from contests). All resources and other items are going bye bye.

Warflagon

Peasant
I fully believe it is going to happen, but I'll need some extraordinary evidence to back up that extraordinary claim
smile.png

I might even need further confirmation to believe my eyes!

Just saying......

Not trying to troll, lol, though I might sound like it, maybe.

Don't wanna lose my cool tools!

overbyte

Just confirmed on stream that Closed -> Open wipe is going to reset EVERYTHING except for purchased items (outfits, props, founders items, giveaways from contests). All resources and other items are going bye bye.
I was just coming here to note this. It would have been nice to be ahead of the game, but I agree with the decision.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I got one of the banners for the everquest worlds game for the in game item.. i did not see any others during twitch, anyone have them?
This is the one i got.
rrr_img_66315.jpg

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Typical. Go from "we won't wipe anything but claims unless we absolutely have to" to "wiping everything for open beta" no reason given. I can understand wiping items/progression. But resources? Ha. The only motivation there is money.

Citz

Silver Squire
Yup. They might as well cash in right from the start from the people who must get everything NOW. With a non-existant economy and everybody currently in closed beta just hoarding butt-load of resources, there wouldn't much of an incentive to buy anything.

And they probably thought of some clever things to include Landmark in their all-access pass.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah. The issue I have with the decision isn't that it's financially motivated, that's a given. My problem is that they are so damn stupid it took them this long to figure it out. Wasted a lot of time mining nearly a mil obsidian, was waiting til after the cave claim wipe to get started. Now, no point in bothering til OB. If then.

overbyte

Im not saying that making money was or wasn't a primary motivation for a closed -> open wipe. I'm not a psychic, or on their board meetings. I do think that there are legitimate gameplay reasons for such a wipe however. I also don't think the financial motivation is all that strong. I mean sure, there will probably be a bump of people desperately buying mats for their diamond castle or whatever, but in the long run all of that will smooth out on it's own. I mean, look at how many resources people have just a few months in now.

Warflagon

Peasant
Does planetside make a decent profit?
It seems a fair comparison, as landmark/SOE seems to be following that route.

For me, I DL'd PS2 for free and bought $45 dollars of SOE cash, of which, I cashed in $30 during a double/triple bonus phase. I played PS2 for 2-4 months. Had a blast. Still have it installed and can play with all my previous stuff anytime I want with a balance of 5K+ sony cash.

I like the PS2 method and have no problem with Landmark/EQN following suite.

This is/was an alpha/beta and I knew these risks (wipes) going in.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Let's take a course in Development 101.

Here's what the FAQ and dev forum posts said up until today:

?While we will do everything in our power to minimize wipes, it is important to note that Closed Beta is a testing period. Unexpected behaviors of players and technology may occur, requiring us to roll back or delete data during these periods. However, you will never lose access to items that you have purchased on the Marketplace or in the Founder?s Packs as a result of a wipe.
We are currently planning the following wipes:

End of Alpha Wipe (This occurred on 3/26/14)
Timing: Occurs at the end of Alpha testing, which begins on or before 2-28-14
Character: Your character will be retained, however all progression will be wiped.
Claims: Your claim(s) will be wiped. All claims will be templated so that you have blueprints of what you built.
Resources and Collected Objects: All resources and collected objects will be wiped.

End of Closed Beta Wipe
Timing: Occurs at the end of Closed Beta testing, which begins on or before 3-31-14
Character:Your character and all progression will be retained.
Claims: Your claim(s) will be wiped. All claims will be templated so that you have blueprints of what you built.
Resources and Collected Objects:All resources and collected objects will be retained.?

And, here's what it could have said:

End of Closed Beta Wipe
TBD

Rocket science, right?

overbyte

I am getting Etherium and Moonstone from the Masterwork Sifter. I suppose it's possible to make those Etherium axes now.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Let's take a course in Development 101.
Rocket science, right?
I couldn't believe it at first either, when they originally said no resource wipe after CBT.

Doesn't surprise me they changed it. Pretty shitty on their part though, either through oversight or just changing their minds.

Just showed a short video on the live stream from a dev that accidentally painted his whole building with the water material, whole thing was swaying in motion... looked awesome and they said eventually we'll be able to do it.
Couldn't find it, do you remember at all around when during the stream it came on?

Also, I just logged into the game for the first time since start of CBT. Wow, the water is quite amazing.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
11:40 in the top video in the list. The 1:06 duration one.

Was obviously oversight. And that's putting it nicely.

I can tell you what happened, other than the obvious financial motive.

The team finally got around to doing the math on material value for selling to npc merchants to generate in game currency. Some genius pointed out that with the initial values many people would be instant billionaires the day it was implemented. Some quick napkin math later they realized that they had two choices. Make materials virtually worthless, or do a wipe for OB.

There are many ways this could have been avoided. One would be separating building and crafting materials. This would also allow them to just let you build without gathering the materials first, but, nope, cuz money. This is one of the reasons I hate cash shops.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So there's really no reason to play anymore unless you're trying to improve your building skills, is how it sounds to me. I'm not saying I don't understand it, but they've essentially killed the majority of the motivation for people to actually play during beta now, so how much shit is really going to get tested anymore?

Definitive word on whether or not they'll wipe templates is also needed, because if they keep them all you have to do is gather the materials. If they don't, why bother unless you just like fucking around?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
In the livestream, Omeed specifically states that templates will absolutely never be wiped. I assume that means that templates will never be wiped, but who knows?

And yeah, that's the talk on the official forums, a lot less motivation to bother logging in.