EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Warflagon

Peasant
You seem to have nothing better to do than try and start shit. Ever think of killing yourself?
Lol, what are you, 12? Tell you what, I'll respond to you in the same way the other "grumps" do. Simply ignore your childish rants, whines and threats.

See, all Better
smile.png

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So, looks like they're getting ready to start doing the whole "help us build EQN" thing. This week's roundtable poll is about which architectural style we want to start with (dwarf or dark elf), and next week they'll use the results of that poll and start giving out concept art and have us start building.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It certainly won't come back for me until they make these 'emergent gameplay' building techniques intuitive to use.

I mean... I get it. All this micro voxel blah blah stuff is good for EQN's overall quality... but actually executing these techniques is fucking painful.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I think it's been said that they're going to improve it and I hope it's true, but SOE has to work in draw distanced in a big way. From any decent distance buildings look fucking awful and as you approach and get closer and closer, the voxels slowly start to take form. But I mean, even 15 feet out buildings look noticeably uglier, it's pretty jarring. Extremely complex structures are incredibly resource heavy, too, so SOE has some major optimizations to be done leading into EQN's release.

Tol_sl

shitlord
The other issue is looking out at landscapes from a distance. All you see is ugly patches of color that vanish as you get closer to the nodes.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It certainly won't come back for me until they make these 'emergent gameplay' building techniques intuitive to use.

I mean... I get it. All this micro voxel blah blah stuff is good for EQN's overall quality... but actually executing these techniques is fucking painful.
Thats the only thing that stopped me in my tracks. Any moron can use the current system, but its a hassle. Its like the User Interface was designed by someone that doesnt understand how to stream line the shit.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Thats the only thing that stopped me in my tracks. Any moron can use the current system, but its a hassle. Its like the User Interface was designed by someone that doesnt understand how to stream line the shit.
Worse. It was designed by someone who doesn't want to streamline it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Worse. It was designed by someone who doesn't want to streamline it.

Did you actually listen to his argument, though? I don't think they are too adverse to streamlining some things but particularly at this stage, his point was that they didn't want to specialize too much against things that could already to be done because they are still learning things about the hardware/software systems The example they give in the video is that micro-voxels for adding detail would haven't been "discovered" for their current use if they had cut straight to a specialized detail tool.

On the not playing front, I can seem to do anything but patch the game at this point; once it gets for realz, I will start working on it again.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Still a lot of work that needs to be done before they can even think about Open Beta (IMO). With Minecraft there were no restrictions on building, even on community servers, so even as the game was being built and new things were added in, you could spend a lot of time on a project even work on it with other people. Landmark has most of the building aspect down but they severely lack in the community aspect. Yeah, you can add people to your claim with permissions, but you're still hamstrung in how much space you have to build. Creating something on the level of the Minis Tirith that people built back on FOH-Minecraft just isn't possible. Nor will it be until they get rid of the claim limits and allow placement of Addon Claims anywhere within the "no build" zone your primary claim creates.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure they'll allow it.. you just have to buy to link your claim to others for larger claim areas.
The fact that there is an upkeep cost is stupid as well, going back to a tier 1 island to get copper to press a button to say "pay for upkeep" is not helping.
I think they have something good... good enough for me to wait till EQN, i may be done with landmark though.