EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think the crafting is now closer to the "release form" or at least what they want for open beta. Most of the previous versions were just basic iterations to see what worked and what people liked and they are taking that and advancing it. Those kinds of changes will slow down once you hit open beta.
True, but who would ever sit down and design a gathering progression where Mithril (you know the stuff the dwarves mine in Middle Earth) is going to be made from combining Iron and Gold..
/scratches head

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It makes it difficult to care about whatever new stuff they've put in, because next patch it'll probably be removed or changed completely.
Beta development... how does it work?

rrr_img_85717.jpg

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Your code is the key to BONUS Station Cash when you fill up
your SC wallet TODAY! You will receive a new code each day
from 1*2/1*9/1*4 - 1*2/2*1/1*4.
TODAY'S CODE IS:
TBPFC0GH

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Wow.. I got one for Triple Station Cash. I think they might have sold me.

Also, the enemies are suprising in some circumstances. I was in a Tier 1 cave trying to avoid monsters because health regenerates pretty slowly now (using newb armor). I grappled half way up a narrow little opening. When I got to my grapple point, I looked behind me and on the opposite wall there was a plant monster standing on a ledge, growling at me. I thought "it can't get me from here heh", as it then processed to throw up across the chasm and insta-shot me to death. I had about a 3 second window I could have dodged it with, but wasn't expecting it.

Caliane

Much needed additions.
Game is way more interesting now.

There is a good amount of armor and weapons added.
Monsters are not very varied, or hard.
The difficulty from surface to teir 5 also is not especially varied.

The only real challenge is the creepers(plants) who do have this triple hit potential if you don't avoid can 1 or 2 shot you.
but, its easy to avoid if you know what to do. The creepers always attack in 3's. and have a very clear tell when they are about to spit. just circle strafe.

(I was using the staff)

If you didn't already craft the weapons, you might be in for a pain. The new crafting system is even more involved/complex.
Everything requires "ether" now. which is this games version of pixels, gold. Drops from monsters, or salvaging weapons.(dont salvage weapons for ether. salvage gear for elements. which is ALSO needed to craft tools/weapons.)
To craft weapons, you need to go get weapons as drops from npcs and chests.

This creates a weird scenario. I found 2 helms, 2 gloves, and 2 chestpieces yesterday on the surface.(Almost seems like farming for gear is more effective then crafting atm) I don't really see any reason to go down yet, other then gathering ore. t5 monsters are not that much stronger then surface, but your movement is generally limited due to caves.

All surfaces are t1 now. Islands are now the same, going down for other ores.

Getting to caves. Use the local teleport option, at the main portal. You can teleport to newly created portals at each depth.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the caves are mostly just empty and I end up staring at the dirt drilling for more empty caves. I did hit one neat ruin but it wasn't cool enough to have me endlessly drilling.

I'll stick to the surface for now.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the caves are mostly just empty and I end up staring at the dirt drilling for more empty caves. I did hit one neat ruin but it wasn't cool enough to have me endlessly drilling.

I'll stick to the surface for now.
They seem to be having a bug with getting things to respawn in the caves. So yeah, shit's a bit empty down there right now.

Caliane

not alot, for sure. do use the sounders/finders.
you need caves for higher teir ore/gems. they don't spawn on the surface.

But loot tables from monsters seems the same. monster difficulty seems marginally increased with depth. but monster loot is the same, and mob density is much higher on the surface atm.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Very first stages of PVE*. Don't set your expectations too high for now, but these NPCs show promise imo. Here's what I liked about them..

Chomper
- Growls, faces player when close
- Determines attack point and then charges up and releases threeverypowerful projectiles in quick succession. If you are hit by more than one of these, you are dead.
- Can/will shoot you if you are hanging on the ceiling or walls. If it's head can see you, and you're in range, you're fair game.
- Slow turn rate, making strafing around it very effective
- Releases an AE cloud of gas that slows movement

Exploding Mushroom
- Very small and hard to spot, but makes a constant faint noise when nearing one (audio is surround sound, which helps with spacial awareness)
- Immune to damage
- When a player comes too near it will rapidly expand and then explode, destroying anything in a small radius.
- Leaves a small crater behind. Doesn't drop loot, but all unearthed minerals & dirt are collectable by player
- I (usually) spot these first and it becomes a jousting match to make it explode and collect materials without getting blown up

White Wisp
- a willowisp returns from EverQuest!
- When in range, the wisp will flash and release a fast-moving projection of light towards the player
- Can attack at any angle: straight up in the air, down, etc. (targeting appears to be slightly buggy right now, making them pretty easy to down)

Abomination
- Green sludge monster with a skeleton inside. Shoots slime-covered skulls
- Slow-moving, higher attack damage. Easy to run away from
- Emits a poisonous gas that deals DOT if standing in range. The poison is very lethal if you continue to stand in it

Other Things
- Non-traditional Leashing - All monsters appear to have different aggro leashing ranges, based on their flavor and aggressiveness. Abominations are slow and will stop attacking if you run too far for them to catch up. When "leashing" the mob resumes it's non-combat AI, but doesn't run back to a spawn point or regain health automatically, like you'd expect. In some situations, backing off and repositioning (behind a rock, tree, on a ledge, etc) is actually beneficial.
- Health regens significantly slower now; if you're almost dead it can take up to a minute to return to full health. This creates a need for potions, food, healing spells, etc. I found a tunic that gives +3 life drain within the first day and it's been a godsend. If I get destroyed by one creature, I'll pick out an easy target to regain my life on
- Usable equipment drops off of monsters, that is always tradeable. This is surprisingly simple, yet so different from how MMOs operate these days. There is no "bound on equip", "bind on pickup", etc. You can either wear it or salvage it for crafting ingredients. Found a weapon you don't need? Break it down into an Aspect of Destruction that is the base ingredient for creating a new weapon. Other things can break down into ether shards, which are the primary resource in the game used for all things. They could easily bring back the "Skeleton holding a sword? Skeleton drops a sword." feature of EQ1, with this system.
- Respawning monsters, chests are a bit bugged right now. If you want to experience PVE Combat, just stick to the surface. Caves aren't respawning properly, so they're a bit frustrating if you're trying to find fights and treasures

The first wave of monsters are simplistic and combat isn't quite nailed down yet, but already I can see some real potential here

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The damn mushrooms are surprisingly deadly. Its really easy to stumble across when around blind corners or on a drop. The non mobile things are actually more of a challange than one would expect when fighting in tunnels because things like chomper spew pretty well covers entire tunnels.

The new weapons are pretty interesting but melee is at a much bigger disadvantage than range both abominations and chompers have some anti melee mechanics which means if you go hand to hand with them you will get beat a lot harder but then most melee weapons also have boosts to shields/health so it does offset.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So "loot caves" are a thing. Caverns randomly will have 20-30 respawning chests and few enemies inside of them. Since everyone in an area gets loot, this turns into 20+ people all running around and getting mad lewts. Inventory fills up pretty quickly.

I made the daggers today and agree, melee seems a bit gimped ATM. Perhaps my gear just isn't right for them, though.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Playing around with the triggering system.. kinda neat. When you click the fireplace the fire and smoke emitters flip on and the candles go out. Click again to put it out and relight the candles. It's surprisingly intuitive and easy to do.

Warning: Potato Compression
rrr_img_86343.jpg
rrr_img_86344.jpg
rrr_img_86345.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow.. I got one for Triple Station Cash. I think they might have sold me.

Also, the enemies are suprising in some circumstances. I was in a Tier 1 cave trying to avoid monsters because health regenerates pretty slowly now (using newb armor). I grappled half way up a narrow little opening. When I got to my grapple point, I looked behind me and on the opposite wall there was a plant monster standing on a ledge, growling at me. I thought "it can't get me from here heh", as it then processed to throw up across the chasm and insta-shot me to death. I had about a 3 second window I could have dodged it with, but wasn't expecting it.
I highly recommend working on the wand as one of your first weapons to make. Its W effect is a really good shield/health heal channeled power nice for topping off between fights.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
They seem to be having a bug with getting things to respawn in the caves. So yeah, shit's a bit empty down there right now.
The bug goes both way. My lil guild in landmark found a cave of merry fucking xmas. This room had like 20 boxes that were respawning every minute. It would take about 5 minutes to totally fill all our bags and then we had to do the conga line of having people TP out to clear inventory and then have somebody stay as an anchor. We bug reported it but I figured hell its a good way to test the new toys and get materials to make the new weapons. But yes some caves are really full of stuff and others are barren. The basic structure is there but now they need to work on their code a bit to hit the sweet spot.