EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I haven't been able to test this yet, but in the teaser for the new stuff released they showed a cube that had been completely selected and then someone was using the smoothing tool on it and it got damn near spherical and was pretty smooth too. Are you saying this doesn't work in-game?

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not as I am using it, but I can try out what you are mentioning. The new tool also deletes a little bit with each pass beside smoothing it out.

Dizzam_sl

shitlord

So, that's their idea of PvP huh? You have to give permission to other people to enter your claim. Once they are done destroying your stuff, you just click "Reset" and POOF, all back. I'm not saying I want PvP in Landmark; frankly, I don't really see how it could work. This is just a perfect example of why I am not getting too excited about Next.

Instead of having the balls to just say PvP won't be in Landmark, they have to advertise that it will have PvP to try and cater to that crowd, who of course will run the other direction when they see what "PvP" in Landmark really is. Classic Smedley; he's taught his employees well.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So, that's their idea of PvP huh? You have to give permission to other people to enter your claim. Once they are done destroying your stuff, you just click "Reset" and POOF, all back. I'm not saying I want PvP in Landmark; frankly, I don't really see how it could work. This is just a perfect example of why I am not getting too excited about Next.

Instead of having the balls to just say PvP won't be in Landmark, they have to advertise that it will have PvP to try and cater to that crowd, who of course will run the other direction when they see what "PvP" in Landmark really is. Classic Smedley; he's taught his employees well.
rrr_img_62153.jpg

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
Um, what? He explicitly said that is how PvP is going to work. How is my repeating what he said jumping to a conclusion?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You jumped to a conclusion on how PVP will be in Next and why you aren't getting excited. Two entirely different games.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
EQL is telling players exactly what they are doing. SOE is being blunt and very open about goals and what is happening. Now, this may not fit the easy, generic hate of the past decade but it's time to let go. New game, better results lately, and a new direction.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Abefroman,

Do have a better idea about how PvP should work in what is primarily a building game?

Seems pretty straight forward. Building something, defend it against all comers. Repeat. How else could you make a dungeon?

Im also assuming that pvp-ish will come after they place in NPCs.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Since, in Landmark, you can just template your builds a reset button makes sense.
Exactly. I'm cautiously optimistic with EQ Next, but I wouldn't take any gameplay decisions in Landmark to mean anything for Next.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I think adding NPC guards to your claim would be a nice feature. They'd protect your shit while you're not around,ifyou opt into PvP. If some dick decided to trash your shit, they'd have to deal with the guards you've stationed on your claim.

Now suppose you and your guild have all joined your claims and built a massive city with walls and guards. A rival guild decides to declare war. When they attack they'll be fighting your guards and trying to get through your defenses, but what if the game also decides to let you know your house is being attacked? You might get an email/text saying, "Your guild fortress is under attack by enemy forces". Now you and your friends log in and start fighting the invading guild. It turns the end-game of Landmark into a castle raid/defense metagame, at least for people who opt into PvP.

This is exactly the kind of shit I want to see in Landmark.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think adding NPC guards to your claim would be a nice feature. They'd protect your shit while you're not around,ifyou opt into PvP. If some dick decided to trash your shit, they'd have to deal with the guards you've stationed on your claim.

Now suppose you and your guild have all joined your claims and built a massive city with walls and guards. A rival guild decides to declare war. When they attack they'll be fighting your guards and trying to get through your defenses, but what if the game also decides to let you know your house is being attacked? You might get an email/text saying, "Your guild fortress is under attack by enemy forces". Now you and your friends log in and start fighting the invading guild. It turns the end-game of Landmark into a castle raid/defense metagame, at least for people who opt into PvP.

This is exactly the kind of shit I want to see in Landmark.
Same here.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I don't know what you are talking about Terial - the pics I commented on earlier in this thread of the build you did were pretty awesome, and very original. IMO some of the stuff you talked about (especially gem tiling) look like shit - no clean lines to be had anywhere, with the entire build looking rough. Your shit looks better than 90% of what you said you like.
Thanks man, was not really fishing for a compliment, but your kind words were well received
smile.png

I guess what i'm referring to is the stuff like that white mage tower linked above... that kinda stuff is in my head but i just can't seem to do it. Now i have a pretty sweet claim location and tons in my head and i guess we'll see what happens. I don't see how some people fit so much on their claims, it feels like i can build 1 structure per claim box, but some people build entire towns.
Regardless, i guess i may be better then the average bear, but only cause i've gotten good praise on my 1 build. We'll see how the next one is received
wink.png

Bane_sl

shitlord
That's ridiculous and to think he did that all since the smoothing tool was released. I can't even think how he did the roof shingles.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
... that kinda stuff is in my head but i just can't seem to do it. Now i have a pretty sweet claim location and tons in my head and i guess we'll see what happens.
I know what you mean about getting the idea out how you want it. I remember this set from an old Jerry Lewis movie and want to incorporate this sense of scale in some kind of way for an interior somehow, just not so provincial-looking.

the-ladies-man-set.png

It also drives me nuts that whatever type of steps I make so far, after a few steps my toon 'slides' down them. Tried a few varying heights but the toon either stutters, gets a hitch or slides.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
That tower is sweet, but if you look closely it's pretty simple construction with a lot of fairly simple detail work which is smoothed down. The coolest part is it's all T1 mats; stone, dirt, wood. I got a tower done structurally, I just haven't had the impulse to get back in there and make it look pretty (while also learning the tools).

I should do that now.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
At that point, I'm starting to envision a kind of immersiveMighty Quest for Epic Loot. Minus the loot for now.