EQOA rose colored glasses thread or "How I learned to MMO"

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Posting an update:

We are past log in and currently at the server select screen.
rrr_img_68892.jpg
rrr_img_68893.jpg
rrr_img_68894.jpg

Still looking for a few good devs that can help us build a world server. Support this beautiful and classic EQ game!

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I'll take a look at it when I have time. I have a Frontiers CD.

As far as I know the packets are unencrypted ingame, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Due to lack of packet captures it's likely going to have to be made from scratch, though.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Thanks for taking a look Secrets, I really appreciate it. We do have one packet log actually with maybe 30 thousand packets or so. I wish we had more but this log does have the login procedure and a lot of game play in it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I played the shit out of this game too. It was my first MMO as well.

You didn't server hop, there were no instances, your reputation mattered.. all great things that I liked about this game. Sure it was a bit mundane, but putting an MMO on a console that didn't even natively ship with a hard drive or a network connection was a ballsy move. They did their best with it and the result wasn't that bad.

I can tell you one thing, I'd rather play EQOA than any of the newer MMOs.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Right now most of our work is being done with the original vanilla version of the game. The idea is that once we have this client up and running that perhaps we could follow a classic timeline and release Frontiers the 7 or 8 months after.

Secrets, if you need the vanilla game iso, the packet log from when the game was live, or a detailed write up of how we got to where we are already please let me know!

Defiance

<Bronze Donator>
I beta tested this game and played quite a bit of live. If you pull this off i'll cancel my Wildstar sub. Good luck and thanks for working on it!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I signed up on the forums, I have some assembly knowledge as well as C/C++. Not sure if I can help, but I can try.

Del

Vyemm Raider
This game was such a basic feeling MMO that the only fun parts to me were exploring, leveling, socializing, and taking in the lore. Which I've already experienced so there isn't much point in doing it again. Some of the raids were ok, but again, they were very basic, and it basically consisted of me sitting in 1 spot the entire fight spamming heals. So easy.

Btw, I was Hafner on Ferran's Hope.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am hoping this comes to fruition I will be head over heels. I never got to play EQOA back in the day much - only got to play it for a few hours at a friends once.

I would donate for something like this to help with bandwidth and such if it's ran with competence.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
I am hoping this comes to fruition I will be head over heels. I never got to play EQOA back in the day much - only got to play it for a few hours at a friends once.

I would donate for something like this to help with bandwidth and such if it's ran with competence.
Thanks for the support we are working very hard to make this project a reality.

Beastro

Wouldn't mind playing this if you got a server going.

Ironic how EQ helped finally kill my waning interest in consoles. Always wanted to try it out but never wanted to bother with getting a PS2 to try it.

Always sounded to me as if this should have what EQ2 was as a sequel, novel ideas melded with a deep appreciate and attention to EQ lore.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Wouldn't mind playing this if you got a server going.

Ironic how EQ helped finally kill my waning interest in consoles. Always wanted to try it out but never wanted to bother with getting a PS2 to try it.

Always sounded to me as if this should have what EQ2 was as a sequel, novel ideas melded with a deep appreciate and attention to EQ lore.
EQoA always felt more of a sequel to EQ than EQ2 was. EQoA is a simple, classic, grindy game that forces you to group. EQ2 is a solo quest grind WoW clone.

othree

This has probably been asked and answered, but.. can you guys give any sort of time frame on when you think just Alpha will be ready to be rolled out?

I am so amped to finally play EQOA, something I wanted to do very badly years ago, that I would literally give my left nut to be able to test things out for hours each day just to start playing this in some form finally.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Haha, I just wanna finally get my CV!

But yeah, I don't see this happening anytime soon, if ever. Totally applaud the effort though. Would love to play around with this again.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
once they do get a world server up i'd imagine that alpha would happen soon after, but figuring out how to run a world server for this is a pretty big hurdle. (probably the biggest hurdle for the whole project)