ESPN Layoffs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
ESPN is in the middle of a big layoff of name talent. Unlike the last one in 2015, which primarily affected off-air employees, this one is centered on people you are familiar with from TV or articles. The rumor is 100+ people could be let go, and names are still trickling out (yesterday was the big initial wave).

Running list of those laid off

So....
Who are you sad to see go?
Who are you happy to see go?
Who do you wish got canned instead?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I really like this guy, he has potential under like to see go.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Surprised to Stark and Katz go, as well as Cossack. Wonder how they're going to change things for a lot of these areas.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
don't recognize any of these people but then again I haven't watched ESPN since they started pretending women understood sports.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
don't recognize any of these people but then again I haven't watched ESPN since they started pretending women understood sports.

You don't think Sarina Morales is an authority on sports? I'm shocked, sir.

But yeah, fuck that muggy cunt. She should have been fired with an emoji filled text, just like the faggotry she perpetrated on the network.

• 1Like

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
good to see Danny Kanell go, dude is obnoxious as fuck

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
good to see Danny Kanell go, dude is obnoxious as fuck

He was the only one that showed he was really pissed on twitter. Everyone else thanked them for the opportunity and he eventually got on board...after everyone saw what an ass he is. I wonder who they team with Russillo this time? Only show worth watching is Lebetard because it knows it's not a real sports show.

I like the push for feminist poems while letting go of the sports talk people. Sounds smart as fuck....

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
the only show I can stand watching is PTI, Wilbon and Kornheiser need their own 2 hour block instead of this 30 minute shit. FS1 is what I watch now in the morning.

• 1Solidarity

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

but rednecks need blondes with great legs to pretend to explain stuff to them. that's how fox news works

what is gonna happen to espn in the near future: espn hires a bunch of hip young nobodies to push the product to young demographic with a massive social media presence but will utterly fail at that because younger demographic does not really care about the "traditional" sports any more. So espn will start moving even more heavily into esports. Fuck, Dota2 TI last year had a prize pool over 20 million and the finals had more viewers per game than Stanley Cup finals. LoL tournament streaming rights were sold for 300 million last year. That is the future.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
the only show I can stand watching is PTI, Wilbon and Kornheiser need their own 2 hour block instead of this 30 minute shit. FS1 is what I watch now in the morning.

Right. I'd rather watch FS1 than to listen to the tripe on ESPN. I had to stop watching last year, the talk just became so inane and repetitive. They've lost 7m subscribers in the last five years for a reason.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
What is going to be interesting is when the national TV contracts come up for all 3 major sports.

These national TV contracts are a sizeable chunk of the revenue for the sports, thus are tied to player salaries. While MLB and the NBA are fairly shielded from because most, if not all, of the teams in both sports have their own networks, the NFL is shown nationally and regionally.

Perhaps this will be the opportunity to get MNF off of ESPN and back on ABC or a different basic channel.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
ESPN is also wedded to the Cable companies in a much bigger way. ESPN was/is getting some absurd amount, like 6 bucks per cable subscriber regardless if sports was consumed in a household or not. Cable is slowly going to die, but they still have strong control in a lot of regions because they are also the gatekeeper to high speed internet and the associated caps that restrict cord cutting. A La Carte Programming, as well as sports leagues and events in general no longer requiring a broadcast network to put on a quality show, and the leagues them self offering their own Channels / League Passes. This cuts out a great deal of the incidental revenue that ESPN lived on for years. I don't think they have planned ahead all that well.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm glad that Barnwell and Zach Lowe don't appear to be part of the cuts (yet). They actually provide good analysis.