Europa Universalis IV

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
finished a stellaris run, got the EU4 itch again so came back to this after not playing for over a year. See that they put out a new DLC. Looks like it wasnt received well

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
finished a stellaris run, got the EU4 itch again so came back to this after not playing for over a year. See that they put out a new DLC. Looks like it wasnt received well

That's pretty old. Most of the issues that people have with Leviathan have been resolved. There were some pretty serious performance and save corruption issues at the start.

I really liked the great monuments because it gave me more worthwhile directions in my expansion path.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I don’t think it’s as bad as they make it out to be. Yea it wasn’t the best and was buggy, and you’ve got to adjust your play in some ways. It’s really just that most people who are still avid eu4 players are probably autists. If your a more normal now and then player like me, I didn’t really notice anything that bothered me.

The overlord expansion for stellaris was worse for me. They changed a lot of stuff and not in a good way, but I’m more of stellaris player than eu4, though I did run a Muscovy game to celebrate the war in Ukraine. For some reason the timurids became a juggernaut that game, causing the most problems.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Time to play as Great Britain and get raped in Hundred Years War and then War of the Roses.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I still say they need to just release 3-4 expansions per game then move on to the next iteration where they keep what was good, ditch what was bad, and introduce some new stuff. 10+ expansions on a 10 year old game is just doomed to end up a fucking mess.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
New DLC is out today for this. Been watching a few reviews, and it seems like a good one so far and the reviews have been positive on Steam.

The DLC focuses on Northern/Eastern Europe mostly; I watched a streamer play Teutonic Order and turn them into a Crusader horde nation - with the goal to convert/conquer all of the old Mongolian successor states in Europe/Asia. Looks pretty fun

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Just started playing this again a few weeks ago, definitely great news, excited to check it out

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
World conquest.

Muscovy wouldn’t be my first choice for it, and WC is usually pretty tedious in these sort of games. I prefer roleplay objectives. I do like that Russia encourages you to make choices that would be bad for other countries. It feels very Russian to take out other country’s space marines with your overwhelming swarms of massed men, just because your manpower advantage lets you eat far more losses than most countries, and to save money I just mostly skip cavalry and cannons past a token one until my economy can support it easily.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
World conquest.

Muscovy wouldn’t be my first choice for it, and WC is usually pretty tedious in these sort of games. I prefer roleplay objectives. I do like that Russia encourages you to make choices that would be bad for other countries. It feels very Russian to take out other country’s space marines with your overwhelming swarms of massed men, just because your manpower advantage lets you eat far more losses than most countries, and to save money I just mostly skip cavalry and cannons past a token one until my economy can support it easily.

oh yeah, i think that was my 2nd play through, my first one was Spain

My Russia WC ended up taking over the entire northern hemisphere before I ran out of time

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I still say they need to just release 3-4 expansions per game then move on to the next iteration where they keep what was good, ditch what was bad, and introduce some new stuff. 10+ expansions on a 10 year old game is just doomed to end up a fucking mess.
I've learned how to play this game like 3 times, years apart. It's ok to keep updating stuff, and adding on to the game, and adding *CONTENT*. Stop changing basic systems, though, ffs.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've learned how to play this game like 3 times, years apart. It's ok to keep updating stuff, and adding on to the game, and adding *CONTENT*. Stop changing basic systems, though, ffs.
It’s bad in stellaris too. They just like fucking with core mechanics. Sometimes that’s fine and makes it feel like a new game, more often it’s pretty annoying.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
World conquest.

Have you tried Ethiopia? I just finished a multiplayer game with a buddy where I played them - their mission tree is fun and you're surrounded by neighbors of different faiths/cultures, making it easy to blob in any direction. Or alternatively, you can play it kinda tall and still do many of the missions.

I've done a WC or two and yeah - they're tedious so I'm in the same boat as you - love playing nations for their missions and to play them with a specific roleplay goal in mind.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Have you tried Ethiopia? I just finished a multiplayer game with a buddy where I played them - their mission tree is fun and you're surrounded by neighbors of different faiths/cultures, making it easy to blob in any direction. Or alternatively, you can play it kinda tall and still do many of the missions.

I've done a WC or two and yeah - they're tedious so I'm in the same boat as you - love playing nations for their missions and to play them with a specific roleplay goal in mind.
I’ve never played Ethiopia, but I have played states in Africa. It’s all fun and games until the colonizers show up.

• 1Worf

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I’ve never played Ethiopia, but I have played states in Africa. It’s all fun and games until the colonizers show up.
indiana jones gun GIF

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I had a great Muscovy game once where I went for the coast ASAP, rushed ocean exploration, colonised Manhattan Island then purposefully lost Russia to move my capital to North America.

I then used their colonisation bonuses to quickly take North America, getting full tax with my capital there, then crossed the Pacific and colonised Siberia backwards.

I eventually got back to Muscovy before I got bored and stopped.

• 1Worf
  • 1Genius!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ended up staying up until 4 am playing the new expansion.

Goddamn it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I had this game forever and finally bought all the DLCs a while back when there was a big HB deal. I think I pumped about 700 hours into in just a few months... was pretty addicting. I understand why a lot of the expansions get downvoted, but they're not bad at all really. They're just not great value if you're playing this game every year. If you haven't played it or haven't played it in years? It's a lot of depth to uncover, which is great.

I did an Asturias one faith world conquest for my last game and it was a lot of fun, but quite time consuming. The Great Projects were so much help in that.

I do agree they seem to have some radical changes unrelated to an expansion, which I could see being pretty frustrating. I did my Asturias run on 1.32.2 where forts were hardly ever upgraded or used intelligently (which made things too easy) and then in 1.33 the AI went overboard on Forts. I had a campaign on 1.33 where I was in the space to finally take on the Ottomans and they had, to my recollection, at least 25 forts with 22 of them being level 8. There's just no way to deal with that without using a ton of manpower and time. When I defeated them I could see that every shitty little HRE country had 1-2 level 8 forts, too. I couldn't imagine doing a world conquest on 1.33 without being a Horde or HRE.

• 2Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every time I start a new game I want to try something new, but always end up picking a major power after spending 30+ minutes looking at lesser nations. All because I don't want to miss colonizing the new world. Yet when I get to the Caribbean first, claim all the good spots, and end up owning the half the Americas, I get bored and quit playing...

• 1Worf