Europa Universalis IV

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Think it's better to peace out and lose provinces fast then delay a losing war like that. Quicker to rebuild and conquer weak states before getting revenge.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 441633

This game went tits up pretty fast. Was having a nice little run as Brandenburg, modestly destroying my neighbors at a pace slow enough not to piss anyone off too much. In the middle of a war I suddenly got the burgandy inheritance just as they are getting their shit pushed in by france. Wasn't aiming for that at all, and being at war with France is no bueno.

Then I guess I hit the wrong button, so now I'm at war with Austria on most of the HRE too. Time to run around behind enemy lies and hope I can annoy them enough to not get completely murdered.
So you're LARPing as the Ukraine?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I tried to play as Ukraine in EU4, but for some reason that country doesnt exist despite their rich and storied history. So weird.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I tried to play as Ukraine in EU4, but for some reason that country doesnt exist despite their rich and storied history. So weird.

You can't start as a whole bunch of existing countries, you have to form them or release them.

I guess Muscovy counts as Russia, but it's still funny to me that you make this comment and you can't start as Russia either.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can't form Ukraine out of Ruthenia in EU4
Because Ukraine is the modern word.

Like it's Bohemia in EU4, not Czechia. Doesn't mean that Czechia isn't a real country.

A whole bunch of places had different names back then.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Because Ukraine is the modern word.

Like it's Bohemia in EU4, not Czechia. Doesn't mean that Czechia isn't a real country.

A whole bunch of places had different names back then.

Why dont they just call themselves Ruthenia then?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why dont they just call themselves Ruthenia then?
Because cultures shift over time, especially in conquered regions. They can call themselves whatever they want, again, see Czechia.

Nationalism in the 19th century onwards led to ethnic groups being added to or removed from national names as a territorial claim.

Calling your new country "Germany" instead of "Prussia" gives you a territorial claim over all ethnic Germans. Same with "Yugoslavia".

Calling your border region "The Ukraine" not "Ruthenia" does the opposite and removes the ethnic link.

I don't know what your point is here unless you think that only France, Austria and Portugal are real countries because you can play as them in EU4 from the start.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Because cultures shift over time, especially in conquered regions. They can call themselves whatever they want, again, see Czechia.

Nationalism in the 19th century onwards led to ethnic groups being added to or removed from national names as a territorial claim.

Calling your new country "Germany" instead of "Prussia" gives you a territorial claim over all ethnic Germans. Same with "Yugoslavia".

Calling your border region "The Ukraine" not "Ruthenia" does the opposite and removes the ethnic link.

I don't know what your point is here unless you think that only France, Austria and Portugal are real countries because you can play as them in EU4 from the start.

WRONG.

Ukraine claims their culture is 1000 years old. It didn't "shift" anywhere. It just simply never existed until recently.

Chris

Potato del Grande
WRONG.

Ukraine claims their culture is 1000 years old. It didn't "shift" anywhere. It just simply never existed until recently.
I already explained this to you, the name changed over time. As it did in many other places.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I already explained this to you, the name changed over time. As it did in many other places.
Slavic languages don't have the 'th" sound, they used an 's' sound. So Ruthen was pronounced pretty close to russian. Araysar would know more about word endings and what not, as it probably rarely ended in a "n", and that was something western people added, but this is probably why Cyril noted that he met "Russians" in slavic lands in the 800s.

History is interesting.

Anyways, current replay I got made the emporer of the HRE pretty early on for some reason without trying. I used my newly gifted powers to roflstomp half the countries down to one province ghetto towns, and then I got the burgundian succession again, which I actually went for being emperor. Life's great. Marched to the south and put down the ottomans on their first attempt to go north in my spare time. Now I got france in my sights, since pretty much all of the HRE wants to coalition me.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
It sounds like you're in World Conquest territory - you going to put yourself through that hell?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It sounds like you're in World Conquest territory - you going to put yourself through that hell?
Hell nah, it’s only 1505 or so, just crazy early game luck, and France is a little tarded in that game. Not only did they lose the 100 year war, but they also lost a war against Brittany. There’s still countries that could fight me. I usually drop games around 1700 or whenever my goals seem ‘inevitable’.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
woooop.png

They finally took muh emperorship away. Time to annex up my vassals and eat up the little states I've been leaving behind to boost the HRE. Not bad for 1525. Poland and Bohemia need to stop having such strong allies, especially with this coalition I have against me.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I see... Lithuania... I see Estonia... I even see Moldavia but I dont see Muhkraine!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Where's Russia?
I just hit adm 10, for some reason there’s still no center of reformation. I’m sure Muscovy will hit 10 in a couple years and the Russia timer will pop. AI Muscovy has actually played pretty strong, and ran to me to re-ally days after my war against them inserting some brandenburg into their ally Sweden.

For some reason colonialism didn’t happen until almost 1510, and it spawned in fucking London. Dunno what Castile and Portugal have been up to, but the timeline has been a little strange. I think I’m gonna embrace naval empire Brandenburg, as I already have a massive fleet thanks to capturing a lot of Sweden, Russia and Norway’s heavies, and I already have so much coast.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I just hit adm 10, for some reason there’s still no center of reformation. I’m sure Muscovy will hit 10 in a couple years and the Russia timer will pop. AI Muscovy has actually played pretty strong, and ran to me to re-ally days after my war against them inserting some brandenburg into their ally Sweden.

For some reason colonialism didn’t happen until almost 1510, and it spawned in fucking London. Dunno what Castile and Portugal have been up to, but the timeline has been a little strange. I think I’m gonna embrace naval empire Brandenburg, as I already have a massive fleet thanks to capturing a lot of Sweden, Russia and Norway’s heavies, and I already have so much coast.
Remind me, Russia isn't in the white people tech group right? So will take longer to tech up until they Westernise?