EVE Online

Marple_sl

shitlord
Here is the only thing you need to know about EvE as a Newbie. Find out what route you wanna go and find a corp asap. Almost all Corps welcome newbies with open arms. Most of them will train you in almost every aspect of the game. Most of them have a very active communication and community cause without it EvE doesen't work. Set your goals and go to the Eve Forums and browse the recruitment board and apply. Once you are in a corp you will notice how drastically the game changes. Here is one final truth about EvE. Your Character Progressions is on a very low priority. EvE has and will always be about a group of people , no matter if 10 or 5000, to work together and build something for themself.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I did to 2 week trial in 2010. Loved the game but had nobody to play with (thanks FoH!).

That account is lost so I'm goign to try the 2 week trial again with hopefully an IRL friend. Any tips?
Chris, add me in game "Eida La". I just resubbed and two of my IRL friends did as well.

Are they still doing the 'recruit a friend' with the free timecard upon upgrade?
Yes, even better. If you refer an account and they subscribe, you can take a PLEX instead of time. You can redeem the PLEX for 30 days subscription OR you can sell it ingame for ~560 mil.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure I can remember any of my account infos anymore. But I actually had 3 accounts active at one time or another. Miner, Hauler and Command Ship for mining aura/buffs.

Not that it matters. My attention span on games since WoW became lame again has been so short. The only real attention holder is LoL.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The core of EVE is not the combat, it's the economy.
Eve works because its one server without instances. If you have sweet gear and sit at a bank, it might be that some of your faction on your server who happen to be at the bank will know about it. If you have the balls to fly one of the truly expensive and unique ships in eve (Unique ones especially.), everyone in the entire game is going to know about it. People are going to try and kill you, going to try and find you. Even if they aren't after you, random people are going to know if you die. If they see you, its going to be something they remember- because that ship may die and end up never flown again. This doesn't just work for unique ships, the machines of alliances doing their work also provide plenty of other memorable situations. To move a fleet of super capitals, often you have to jump them across lowsec. A newbie doing faction warfare in lowsec that had never seen a titan or mothership before might suddenly find himself face to face with 60 of them. People even in highsec hear about these things, they see the freighter traffic it creates.

The value and resources of eve are just a catalyst for combat, the combined arena of it all makes that combat memorable to the people who play it. No other game lets you shape and create the game like eve. Everquest early on had the same sort of vibe in limited doses- think if the drama from all the servers had combined into one super server of drama and fighting. If you want to play eve- do yourself a favor and don't limit yourself to highsec. Do some faction warfare, find friends and places that will show you and talk about these things- there are a LOT of places like this in the game.

I'd really like to see a fantasy version, because im ultra bored with the standard bullshit level gear and repeat system of modern mmos.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Yes, even better. If you refer an account and they subscribe, you can take a PLEX instead of time. You can redeem the PLEX for 30 days subscription OR you can sell it ingame for ~560 mil.
Tried sending some tells to a couple people, but no responses yet. Anyone willing to send me a trial and split the isk when I subscribe?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's because it is their identity, part of what they earned. Besides, it assumes quality levels (purple is better than blue) which does not have to exist. If your purple armor was purchased on the dusty streets of the Jhiittah Bazaar instead of earned in battle... you're less likely to be attached to it. Specially since you can purchase right away a spare.

And, to get a fantasy game with EVE-like dynamics, you need that. EVE works because of ownership of territory and the strength of its economy. Both of which arise from the fact that players must purchase from players stuff, being a crafter takes away time (unreplaceable - unless you multi-account), and ownership of strategic ressources gives you an edge in economy.

The core of EVE is not the combat, it's the economy.
Players only define themselves by their gear because A) that's all most have ever known, B) most games lead them to that paradigm due to their design, and C) any alternative way of defining one's character are ignored or stunted in favor of the endless treadmill of PvE content. And I predict that eventually the caul will fall from players eyes and that they will realize that the gear they pursue in the gear-progression PvE MMOs are impermanent and fleeting and that in the end there is little or no point in continuing the rat-race of gear progression at all. In fact I think that it has already begun, though I don't think that people quite grasp it yet.

Crafting...there isn't any reason that crafting and combat skills need to be mutually exclusive at all, regardless of how EVE handles them.

I don't think the core of EVE is the combat or the economy. They might be pillars, but the core of EVE is IMO the players themselves, their interactions and the drama they generate. I still remember the LV Titan abortion, Goons turning the game upside down, raeptrain have no brakes, etc. Those are the things that really put EVE on the map, IMHO, and what I think I'm looking for in a game.

The thing is, EVE isn't even that good of a game in my opinion. It simply is in a class all of it's own because few if any other studios do anything besides trying to create games that are at their core all the same. I'm convinced that you can create an MMO with some of the elements from EVE in a fantasy setting w/o having to adopt gear progression, but I don't think anyone is going to do it in our lifetime though.

Draegoloth_sl

shitlord
Cancelled all my accounts the other day, got kinda boring sitting in station burnt out on missions and pvp. Mining i've done forever and held no interest =(

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Cancelled all my accounts the other day, got kinda boring sitting in station burnt out on missions and pvp. Mining i've done forever and held no interest =(
Missions are terrible. join a corp, get to nullsec, have fun. if you need isk, look at wormholes. Missions are the most terrible awful unfun thing you can do in any video game right now.

Sythe_sl

shitlord
If anyone flies bombers you can join the "bombers bar" Channel in game if you want to pvp with out joining a big corp or alliance!

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Do they still run that alliance pvp tournament? I remember enjoying watching the videos from it in years past and was wondering if there was some videos out there I haven't seen from recent ones.

Oort_sl

shitlord
I just got back in the game after 3 year hiatus, running missions and mining in high sec, general carebear cash generating activities. Before I reactivated, I listened to a few podcasts to catch up:http://www.voicesfromthevoid.net/

(In game name: Xinth, already lurking in the FoH chat channel)

Oort_sl

shitlord
What are the minimum skills needed to survive in a WH space?
Are you going alone or in a group?

Either way you will need your scanning/probing skills to find sites and a way out:

Astrometricsminimum 4, recommended 5
Astrometric Acquisitionmin 3, recommended 4
Astrometric Pinpointingmin 3, recommended 4
Astrometric Rangefindingmin 3, recommended 4

Achtung

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If anyone flies bombers you can join the "bombers bar" Channel in game if you want to pvp with out joining a big corp or alliance!
Big thumbs up for Bomber's Bar. Very tolerant of newbies (if you listen), variety of targets, and an entertaining TS crew. This is one of the first things I went for (thanks FoH channel) and I was up and running within a few weeks of starting. Training Frigate5 and ElectronicsUpgrades5 are the slow parts, but both of those are useful for other stuff, Frigate5 in particular. Obviously with low missile skills you're not going to do a ton of damage and you should aim to train higher, but you'll still have a lot of fun as one of 10-25 bombers. Bombing runs are also a good lesson in Eve physics, as you learn how to line up a 30km time bombed drop, align out, and get out alive etc.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The point of training Astrometrics 5 is the use of Deep Space Probes

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/dsp/
Meh. According to our scanning site I've scanned down over 660 wormholes on my main since we started tracking that (probably over 1k total) and I've used deep space probes like twice. 4/3/3/3 is plenty, higher is convenient but absolutely not something you should worry about before you even know if you like wspace.

As for minimum skills, I'd look at corps like Adhocracy and and see what they want. Or just track down some of the FoH people in wspace that have mentioned they'll take more and see what they want. Basic scanning, ability to fly a drake or other bc is probably plenty for C3 and below.