EVE Online

Kadmoran_sl

shitlord
All stats across all characters are standardized. Everyone has the same base pool and min/max point allocations. If you log that toon back in you'll more than likely see a box asking you how you wish to allocate your stats. And then have a remap or two available for when you want to move those points around.
Are you sure? Talis still has a 15 charisma, which is below the base 17.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
Original Caldari Achura characters can still possibly have 15 Charisma. Remapping will ruin this and will force you to the standardized stats. However, unless your character has perfect stats for what you are training, and you only ever train one type of skill on that character, the training value of tailoring your stats to what you train via remaps is substantially greater than the value of your slightly better total number of stat points.

15 Charisma chars are only useful for research alts, and since research isn't the massive cash cow it once was, I doubt such a character would have much of a premium over the value of its SP.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So story time? yes story time. Yesterday:

So we were out bashing some POSes and poco's in low sec when someone notices an afk levi with 1/3 of his ship model hanging out of the ass end of a small pos in a dead system of low sec. We of course spend the next 45 minutes continuing to shoot POSes and an interbus poco cus Shadow Cartel = PoCo Cartel.

Anyway we bridge over some 100mn mwd nado's and hics, bump him out of the pos and drop our POS bashing dread fleet on him. First titan kill of the new yearhere

Story ended up on Mittanihere

We jump back to our home system and dock up only to discover anunfit chimerahad cyno'd in to our station but his cyno (not his alt) was dumb and cyno'd him in 35km off station.

So later that day we're running around in a small shield gang and we find a PL thanny engaged with(ie baiting) some WH gang who also had a thanny out sowe killed them boththen ran away like girls when the PL backup arrived.

Ok so then later that same fucking day we're out and discover an FA cap fleet with 3 nyxes and assorted carriers are attacking some POS in low sec! So we form up half a dozen HICs on titan and batphone PL. Now we're not the only low sec entity to get eyes on this (it was even reported in militia chat lol) nor the only ones to start bat phoning PL but nonetheless they seem to want to take thecreditfor it and that's fine, whatev. DnD did bridge in HICs as well, as well as the PL Ghost riders so everything was well and good tackled. Snuff being snuff brought in arty mach's and shot us killing a few of our HICs. PL being PL killed all the caps then started killing DnD and co.

All in all we destroyed 205bil isk yesterday, which for us the low sec scrubs we are, is a new record.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I am always surprised when I meet hardcore MMO players and discover they've never heard about EVE except as "it's a space sim MMO, right?".

We were holding our New Year party in the switzerland mountains this year, and the conversation drifted across all kinds of MMO and settled on this. And I spent about 1 hour explaining all the great things about EVE, including the fact that it's almost as good reading about it than playing it (some would argue it's even better).

And then I had to reset my password yesterday, because I couldn't remember it to reactivate. DAMMIT!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Every time I read about Eve I want to try it. Even with all the jargon where I have no clue what anyone is talking about, the drama the game creates seems incredible.

It just seems so daunting of a task to start though. That fear has always kept me away.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
Every time I read about Eve I want to try it. Even with all the jargon where I have no clue what anyone is talking about, the drama the game creates seems incredible.

It just seems so daunting of a task to start though. That fear has always kept me away.
Try It. Just start small and pick a role. The initial week or two of training will give you a little time to decide what you want to do. Despite the huge skill point disadvantages there are great roles for low SP players...

PVP? - The revamped cruisers are great. Stealth bombers are easy to train into for use in black ops fleets. Nobody will complain about an interceptor pilot. None of those ships cost more than about 35 mil ISK tops and shouldn't take months and months of training.

PvE? - Missions... Personally not my favorite. Incursions and WHs (wormholes) are fun but you need a good amount of skill points before its viable. Exploration works but I'd hate to do that with one account.

Industry? - Mining is better now with one account with the addition of ore holds on some ships. Don't need an alt to haul now. Not very good ISK but works. I've made not bad money just building T1 missiles (basically just regular ammo) and selling them in Jita/Amarr/Rens (trade hub systems).

Trading? - Ask someone else on the board. I'm sure theres a rich trader here somewhere. Not me though
smile.png

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I've played Eve off and on over the last few years -- last time I quit I had a character barely able to fly a T3 and was dabbling in exploration. Always wanted to get into wormholes.

I'm downloading again and thinking of activating a trial. Is there anything cool I could do in W-Space with a new account? Unless I get into Eve again I don't want to resub my old account -- loaned it to my brother while on deployment and right now its 1 billion isk negative (I'm guessing he bought ISK and it got deleted, haha).

My rough plan would be to make money then jump into FW or lowsec pvp.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So what's the deal with the new Minnie BC? At a glance it looks like a new arty gankboat (small tank, large turrets?). I'd been hoping for some sort of AC boat (like a Mach or Vargur ac fit) but I'm guessing not?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Th nado? It's sex. 900-1k dps with ac's, or arty alpha nation. Can suicide gank 5b+ marauders in empire with 5 of em and profit every time. nano it with a shield extender and goto town. Though the Talos with large blasters has more and more become the solo man's lowsec dominator.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Th nado? It's sex. 900-1k dps with ac's, or arty alpha nation. Can suicide gank 5b+ marauders in empire with 5 of em and profit every time. nano it with a shield extender and goto town. Though the Talos with large blasters has more and more become the solo man's lowsec dominator.
Tornado, yeah. I was never much for suicide ganking really. And outside of ganking, is its tank a liability? Looking at the Talos + tracking + speed, yeah that might be more along what I gravitate towards. Just comparing Hurricane tank to Tornado tank makes me kinda go: o_O

Is the lack of a tracking bonus on the Tornado hurt it as an AC boat with large ACs?

Mind you I've always been a PvP noob in EVE.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
Tornado, yeah. I was never much for suicide ganking really. And outside of ganking, is its tank a liability? Looking at the Talos + tracking + speed, yeah that might be more along what I gravitate towards. Just comparing Hurricane tank to Tornado tank makes me kinda go: o_O

Is the lack of a tracking bonus on the Tornado hurt it as an AC boat with large ACs?

Mind you I've always been a PvP noob in EVE.
The tank is weak but I've never seen anyone complain about having an AC nado in fleet. Nulli uses them. When fighting smaller gangs FC's often primary them because they go down quick and take a lot of DPS off the field so I'd personally pick something with more tank when in a smaller gang. For larger gangs there is usually something else that needs to die before it so a few of them can take things down very quickly.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any recruiting tips? Its a royal PITA to find people who want to actually go on ops. I've found people who say they'd consider it, but they never to show up. Given the right ship is often any bomber that can shoot torps and cloak, I'm not setting the ship or SP bar very high.

Alchemos_sl

shitlord
Any opinions on the BC revamps?

Prophecy:
Battlecruiser skill bonuses:
5% bonus to all Armor Resistances
10% bonus to drone damage and hitpoints
Fixed Bonus:
99% reduction in the CPU need of Warfare Link modules
Slot layout: 5 H (-2), 4 M (+1), 7 L (+1), 4 turrets (-2), 4 Launchers (+3)
Fittings: 1100 PWG (-200), 415 CPU (+75)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 3000(-419) / 5500(+617) / 4250(-145)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2850(+37.5) / 750s / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 150 / 0.704 / 12900000 (-600,000) / 8.5s (-0.4)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 75 (+50) / 225 (+200)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 50km / 210 / 6
Sensor strength: 17 Radar (+1)
Signature radius: 270 (+5)
Cargo capacity: 400 (+50)

Harbinger:
10% bonus to Medium Energy Turret Damage
10% bonus Medium Energy Turret capacitor use
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H (-1), 4 M, 6 L, 6 turrets (-1)
Fittings: 1325 PWG (-175), 350 CPU (-25)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 3000(-516) / 5000(-469) / 4500(-188)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 3125 / 822s(+72s) / 3.8 (-0.366)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 150 / 0.704 / 13800000 (+300,000) / 9.1s (+0.2)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 50 / 75 (+25)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 55km (+5) / 210 / 6
Sensor strength: 17 Radar (+1)
Signature radius: 270 (+5)
Cargo capacity: 375 (+25)

Ferox:
5% bonus to all Shield Resistances
10% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret optimal range
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H, 5 M, 5 L (+1), 7 turrets (+1)
Fittings: 1100 PWG (+25), 510 CPU (+35)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 5000(+117) / 3500(+81) / 4250(+344)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2750(+250) / 723s(+56.33s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 140 / 0.65(+0.05) / 13510000 (-500,000) / 8.2s (+0.3)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25 / 25
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 65km (+5)/ 195 / 8
Sensor strength: 19 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 295 (+10)
Cargo capacity: 475 (+130)

Drake:
5% bonus to all Shield Resistances
5% bonus to heavy and heavy assault missile kinetic damage
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H (-1), 6 M, 4 L , 7 Launchers
Fittings: 840 PWG (-10), 515 CPU (-10)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 5250(-219) / 3250(-658) / 4000(+94)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2500(-312.5) / 658s(-92s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 140 / 0.64(+0.012) / 14810000 (+800,000) / 8.9s (+0.7)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25 / 25
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 60km / 195 / 8
Sensor strength: 19 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 295 (+10)
Cargo capacity: 450 (+105)

Brutix:
5% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret damage
7.5% bonus to Armor Repairer effectiveness
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H, 4 M, 6 L (+1), 7 turrets
Fittings: 1200 PWG (+50), 435 CPU (+10)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 3500(-406) / 4500(+135) / 5000(+117)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 3000(+656.25) / 789s(+164s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 155 / 0.704(+0.0352) / 12250000 (-1,000,000) / 8.1s (-0.2)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 50 / 50
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 55km / 200 / 7
Sensor strength: 18 Magnetometric
Signature radius: 305 (+5)
Cargo capacity: 475 (+75)

Myrmidon:
7.5% bonus to Armor Repairer effectiveness
10% bonus to drone damage and hitpoints
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 5 H (-1), 5 M, 6 L, 5 turrets (-1)
Fittings: 1050 PWG (-125), 400 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 3500(-406) / 4500(-188) / 4750(+453)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2850(+37.5) / 750s(+108.75s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 145 / 0.704 / 13100000 / 8.6s (-0.1)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 100 (+25) / 175 (+25)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 55km / 200 / 7
Sensor strength: 18 Magnetometric
Signature radius: 305 (+5)
Cargo capacity: 400

Cyclone:
5% bonus to Heavy Missile and Heavy Assault Missile rate of fire
7.5% bonus to shield boosting amount
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H (-1), 5 M, 5 L (+1), 2 turrets, 5 Launchers
Fittings: 1200 PWG (-10), 525 CPU (+100)
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 4750(+355) / 4000(+94) / 3500(+81)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2250(+62.5) / 592s(+8.67s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 165 / 0.704 / 12500000 / 8.2s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 50 (+10) / 50 (+10)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 45km / 220 / 6
Sensor strength: 16 Ladar
Signature radius: 250 (+10)
Cargo capacity: 450 (-25)

Hurricane:
5% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret damage
5% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret rate of fire
Fixed Bonus:
Slot layout: 7 H (-1), 4 M, 6 L, 6 turrets, 3 Launchers
Fittings: 1125 PWG, 400 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 4250(-47) / 4500(+188) / 3500(-16)
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / average cap per second): 2250(-562.5) / 592s(-158s) / 3.8 (+0.05)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 165 / 0.704 / 12800000 (+300,000) / 8.4s (+0.2)
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 30 / 30
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 45km / 220 / 6
Sensor strength: 16 Ladar
Signature radius: 250 (+10)
Cargo capacity: 425 (-50)

Brutix- Extra low is going to go a long way when coupled with the new speeds.
Myrm- Overall a buff, the extra drone bandwidth is better than the extra turret.
Ferox- Not sure what they did here. Still shit since it needs an RCU to fit a full rack of rails.
Drake- Overdue nerf. Dampens the superiority of the nano drake
Prophecy- Looks really awesome, cant wait to try this one.
Harbinger- Kinda questionable. Looks like an inconsequential change.
Cyclone- Really sad to see this change from turrets to Missiles. Gone are the days of the solo pvp warlord cyclone I fear.
Hurricane- Overdue nerf, fuck canes.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Not really liking the Cyclone change, I remember enjoying that BC back when we didnt have Hurricanes. And if I wanted to fly mainly missiles I can pick up a Caldari ship. I wish they would've kept the split weapons theme for some Minmatar ships.

I would play a fantasy version of EVE if its done right, but there wont be funding for that in this decade. I am wondering with all the things that changed in EVE and all the old burdens, would an EVE2 be a good idea (I mean in space)? Going for the same kinda game but "doing things right this time". There have to be tons of limits or designs that just arent fixable in EVE1 because of tech, how ingrained they are, or public backlash. Multiple players on bigger ships, directing energy to specific areas like front shields and stuff like that.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Myrm- Overall a buff, the extra drone bandwidth is better than the extra turret.
Yah, and while it isn't a return to the days of a Myrm with 5 heavies (unless I misread the bandwidth increase), I wonder how many people are going to cry about it anyways.

Cyclone- Really sad to see this change from turrets to Missiles. Gone are the days of the solo pvp warlord cyclone I fear.
At a glance, is it's tank buffed enough statwise to see a noticeable increase?

Drake and Hurricane, kind split on that. If I had to choose between buffing all the other BCs and nerfing those two, I'd want to buff the others probably. The extra low slots on some of them are prob nice to have though.
Why isn't there a fantasy version of Eve
frown.png
Honestly? I think having internet spaceships opens up a lot of possibilities with crafting and the economy that if translated to a fantasy setting, most players would recoil from. People want to get their purple armor and keep it forever; imagine if people died, losing their equipment. Personally I wouldn't mind it if the paradigm with equipment was that it would be replaceable and crafted by tradeskill players, but I think a lot of people are too used to the EQ/WoW style. So from the outset I think the thought is that gear must last indefinitely which guts a lot of the pillars for an EVE style fantasy game (IMHO).

The other reasons are probably the "open PvP world" and less handholding by Devs and themepark content. People bitch about that stuff nonstop, but when you bring up these ideas they flip the fuck out. "Open world PvP"? ERMAGURD NONSTOP GANKFEST! NM that with EVE there are ways to mitigate that risk and it rarely happens if you're careful (how many carebears in hisec again?), or that a game could choose to tighten the ganking aspect up a bit. And people bitch about treadmill content or McContent, but they think that the only way Devs could make a game based on player interaction and warfare (similar to EVE wardecs and alliances) would be to allow that wholesale, when actually Devs could restrict it and tighten their control if they wished. IMO Devs could refine that type of gameplay in the same way they refined PvE content so that it wasn't nonstop rez zergs, loot theft or spawncamping.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Are they still doing the 'recruit a friend' with the free timecard upon upgrade?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
People want to get their purple armor and keep it forever;
It's because it is their identity, part of what they earned. Besides, it assumes quality levels (purple is better than blue) which does not have to exist. If your purple armor was purchased on the dusty streets of the Jhiittah Bazaar instead of earned in battle... you're less likely to be attached to it. Specially since you can purchase right away a spare.
Personally I wouldn't mind it if the paradigm with equipment was that it would be replaceable and crafted by tradeskill players,
And, to get a fantasy game with EVE-like dynamics, you need that. EVE works because of ownership of territory and the strength of its economy. Both of which arise from the fact that players must purchase from players stuff, being a crafter takes away time (unreplaceable - unless you multi-account), and ownership of strategic ressources gives you an edge in economy.

The core of EVE is not the combat, it's the economy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I did to 2 week trial in 2010. Loved the game but had nobody to play with (thanks FoH!).

That account is lost so I'm goign to try the 2 week trial again with hopefully an IRL friend. Any tips?